DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Brakes

Notices

Brakes Brake Maintenance and Replacement

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-02-2013, 11:54 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I don't know how some people burn through brakes, tires, etc so fast. My truck has nearly 75000 miles and has the stock brake pads and when I checked them a couple thousand miles ago back in april they probably have half their life or more left. The stock tires lasted about 35000 miles which is pretty good for the good years. The coopers I got after that are still on there and again probably have half the tread or more left. I do pretty much all city driving except a few long trips across the country once or twice a year, I haul a lot, I burn out and "race"(screw around) now and again. I don't beat my truck but I just don't see how I have the same pads as someone else and they last 2-3 times as long.

Either way, brake pads are about as easy as changing oil, just do it yourself. You'll learn how to do something new.
My bad years are at 36k and still at 50% tread life. These gawd awful tires REFUSE TO DIE. And I am too cheap to get new ones when these still have tread.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 06-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:539
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I don't know how some people burn through brakes, tires, etc so fast.

ummmm, just a wild guess....but Physics?

"Newton's First Law of Motion: I. Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it"

I simply excellerate faster than most, often spinning my tires
which in turn requires more brake pressure to stop faster.

Heavy rotating mass on my 4x4 with 20's and Terra Grappler's that weigh in at almost 100 lbs+ per corner
100% city Stop and Go traffic, smash the gas on green, smash the brakes on the next red. repeat.
It's even worse on weekends at the track where I really bring the abuse to a new level
I dont think my EVIC reads double digits for fuel economy very often

Sure it costs a lot more compared to driving like a granny,
but its more fun....gotta Pay-To-Play.

If I drove it any different and wanted to save money
I may as well have a V-6 ( or a Prius)

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 06-03-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:54 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Are you really trying to brag about how much you abuse your vehicle? lol

I know about the laws of physics. I'm sure you don't know much about me but I have an engineering degree so I do know a little...

My point was that even though I don't drive extremely hard and beat the hell out of my truck I do drive hard and burn out and things like that fairly often and I still don't burn through tires and pads. I will say I almost never brake hard, and here in FL there's basically no hills. But as far as tires, I burn out quite a bit. I light my tires up fairly often and they are also nearly 100lb on each corner, and still I'm probably looking at 60-80k miles out of them. I just think it's weird how some people burn through pads/tires and some don't, regardless of conditions. I find it hard to believe you could abuse your truck so much that it would make tire life and brake life decrease by like 75%, and I don't even drive "like a granny". I just don't beat the hell out of it is all.

My last vehicle was an s10 and the firestones I had on there lasted over 100k miles. That truck did have no power so here was next to no burning out, only a few times dropping the clutch, but still to get that kind of mileage out of tires is pretty rare from what I see from other people. I just find it odd, I don't drive that easy to make that big of a difference, that's all.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:47 PM

BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

So are you calling me a liar?

Just because you didn't wear out your tires or brakes inside of 3 years...no one else possibly can?
... priceless!

Driving habits can wear out brakes sooner, that's just fact!
Different tires with different rubber compounds and tread patterns have different wear ratings. FACT!

Off road/dual purpose tires will never get the same mileage as a Firestone street tire, Factor in aggressive driving habits and the numbers are even more skewed.

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 06-04-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:50 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
sottis is on a distinguished road

I with you Sean. don't understand it either. I've got 58000 on my 2010 Laramie 4x4 with original tires and brakes. I would estimate 15k left on my tires and brakes are about half-life. my 2002 ram quad cab had 135000 on it when I traded and still had original brakes. my driving is probably 60/40 hwy/city.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro
Color: Electric Blue
Rep:3944
BlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond repute

If this thread can't stay a friendly discussion then it will be shut down. Follow the rules:

While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.

No need for rudeness, we are all adults here, I hope.

Like what you see? Support this fine site!

Go here for great how-to's and make sure you know the rules!

Make sure you show off your Ram by posting pics in the GALLERY!!

L.O.B.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:34 AM

stock photo: Nitto Terra Grappler

305/50R20 Next to my 28" Drag Radial from 2010 (likely September, that's when I bought the DR's)

After: June 04/13 , 3 months shy of 3 years old...

Front Brake Pad, Passenger Side: about an 1/8" left (if that)

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 06-04-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:35 AM

I finally got around to swapping out my front pads and rotors,
Forgot to update this thread....for the non-believers:

Yes I cheaped out with the Wagner parts due to budget constraints, (less than $240)
Next time I'm upgrading to a Big Brake kit with a 3 or 4 piston caliper and slotted/vented rotors

$1500

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 07-31-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Brake pads are not covered under warranty.

Wear items in general are not covered under warranty. Brakes, Tires, Fluids, belts, etc. In some cases you get a limited warranty, i.e. Lights are covered for the first 12 months.

To the OP, read your warranty book (included with your manual) and you can see what is covered.

Some things are also covered longer than the factory warranty, i.e. Emissions components.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJet View Post
If this thread can't stay a friendly discussion then it will be shut down. Follow the rules:

While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.

No need for rudeness, we are all adults here, I hope.

Administrator or not, HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING AN ADULT!!!!

That was inflamatory and pointless...now go ban yourself!!!