DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:21
LostAtSea85 is on a distinguished road

For those that have done the Y-Pipe, has it helped with the lull on decel? I am often annoyed by the lull that the truck does when you pull off on the throttle, even with my K&N filter and Mufflex.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Silver
Rep:17
Rumblefish237 is on a distinguished road

Looking at my new 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman, one of the stock pipes is crushed to half it's size under the other where they "y". So no, the engineers have not made any improvements in this regard over the 2012 mode. Then looking at the stock air filter, it seems to be somewhat restrictive as well. I am thinking about a CAI, y-pipe, and muffler combo to start with and maybe a TB, but I'm not sure I want to drop $$$ for everything installed when I am not sure I'm going to see and power or fuel economy not to mention risk my 5 year warranty. Can anyone say if these mods will show any gains either way so long as I do my part when driving? Is there any significant risk to the truck if I were to install these mods without a tune? I would think that changing the airflow so dramatically would be damaging to the timing.
[COLOR="Black"][SIZE="2"][CENTER]Chronology of modifications: Bilstein 5100 series front Adjustable Shocks, Billet Technologies Oil Catch Can, S&B CAI, Magnaflow 18" Muffler, Magnaflow Y-Pipe, Fuel Boost 17" wheels, Goodyear Duratrac 295/70R17, Undercover Flex Tonneau Cover[/CENTER][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 08-01-2013, 05:53 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish237 View Post
Looking at my new 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman, one of the stock pipes is crushed to half it's size under the other where they "y"....
You think that's bad, have a look at the DS bank pipe that runs under the transmission....

Grub out!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Rep:17
Rumblefish237 is on a distinguished road

I wonder if the engineers have designed the crushed pipes for a reason? Perhaps the engine is designed for just that much flow. On the other hand, perhaps the Chrysler finance officers got hand of the plans and decided to save a little $ on production costs.
[COLOR="Black"][SIZE="2"][CENTER]Chronology of modifications: Bilstein 5100 series front Adjustable Shocks, Billet Technologies Oil Catch Can, S&B CAI, Magnaflow 18" Muffler, Magnaflow Y-Pipe, Fuel Boost 17" wheels, Goodyear Duratrac 295/70R17, Undercover Flex Tonneau Cover[/CENTER][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 08-02-2013, 02:35 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

It's plain and simple, it's a way for them to save money. They have their assembly line setup to make the pos crimped Y pipe, has been that way for years. Bottom line is the truck's still run great with them so they are not going to spend more money on new tooling and R & D to make a prettier pipe. that might net a 3-5% gain on a stock to mildly modified truck. Like I tell everyone who has doubts about these 4th gen trucks. Stick your foot in the throttle and watch how quickly the engine pullls through the upper rpms. It just would not do that with any "major" exhaust restriction. I honestly would not bother with a Y pipe replacement unless I had plans for headers and/or some kind of forced induction. That said, I too would love to see a dyno comparison on the same truck with just a Y- pipe mod vs. stock. But I'm a cheap azz here lately so take my 2 cents for what it's worth. I learned a while back not to get caught up jumping on the " forum modification band wagon" I spent quite a bit of $$ on my last ride thinking I would keep it for at least 7-8 years, traded it in one year later on the Ram.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:06 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500 4x4 express rcsb
Color: true blue pearl
Rep:101
browndawg will become famous soon enoughbrowndawg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.C. Express View Post
It's plain and simple, it's a way for them to save money. They have their assembly line setup to make the pos crimped Y pipe, has been that way for years. Bottom line is the truck's still run great with them so they are not going to spend more money on new tooling and R & D to make a prettier pipe. that might net a 3-5% gain on a stock to mildly modified truck. Like I tell everyone who has doubts about these 4th gen trucks. Stick your foot in the throttle and watch how quickly the engine pullls through the upper rpms. It just would not do that with any "major" exhaust restriction. I honestly would not bother with a Y pipe replacement unless I had plans for headers and/or some kind of forced induction. That said, I too would love to see a dyno comparison on the same truck with just a Y- pipe mod vs. stock. But I'm a cheap azz here lately so take my 2 cents for what it's worth. I learned a while back not to get caught up jumping on the " forum modification band wagon" I spent quite a bit of $$ on my last ride thinking I would keep it for at least 7-8 years, traded it in one year later on the Ram.
how true. I even seen someone say "I sleep better at night knowing its on there" WHAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!! WOOOOW!! LMFAO