DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:217
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

Myth busters drove the same route with identical trucks and ran them until one of them ran out of gas. Maybe not exact science, but it pretty much backs up the results that were already out there. This was the espisode with the tailgate down or tailgate up. I didn't see the one with bed covers, the mesh tailgates etc, but I did read about it.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:420
skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice

The myth of driving with tail gate lowered or using a tonneau cover to increase MPG has been repeatedly found to be FALSE. Many studies have shown no advantage to either.

You increase your MPG by learning how to drive, developing driving skill and patience.
Also, fill up in the cool of the morning for the most fuel pumped per gallon. (Cool fuel is more dense). Getting more fuel for every dollar increases your driving economy.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:44 AM

Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

I've read the cool fuel thing also, its true, but it makes such a small difference its not worth worrying about.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:29 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop View Post
The myth of driving with tail gate lowered or using a tonneau cover to increase MPG has been repeatedly found to be FALSE. Many studies have shown no advantage to either.

You increase your MPG by learning how to drive, developing driving skill and patience.
Also, fill up in the cool of the morning for the most fuel pumped per gallon. (Cool fuel is more dense). Getting more fuel for every dollar increases your driving economy.
all true, but i find it almost impossible to drive for mpg all the time. not with a hemi .
Old 08-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Rep:20
Warthog Fixer is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge man View Post
Myth busters drove the same route with identical trucks...
That right there is garbage/inaccurate science. Looks good on TV though to the majoraty of people who wouldn't have the critical thinking skills to see around the snake oil.

Two identical vehicles would produce the same results, in theory, however that isn't the case by any means. Differing allgnments, and measurements down to the thousandth of an inch can and will make a difference! I'm talking about the ENTIRE power train here. This is also why manufacuters have a tolerance on MPG and pretty much everything else within a product.

The appropriate way to do this test would have been to run a single vehicle without a cover, then reset the test with a cover. The variable would have been, for the most part, removed from the equasion.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:02 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Dark Cherry
Rep:162
anothernewb has a spectacular aura aboutanothernewb has a spectacular aura about

I would think the only way to definitively measure the effects of cover vs no cover would be a full scale model in a controlled environment. mount the truck in a wind tunnel and specifically measure the coefficient of drag on the thing in various configurations. in theory that should kill the argument once and for all.

But then again, where would internet forums be without arguments?

I've found the very best improvement to MPG is tailgating. Only thing is that some of those yuppies in oversized grocery getters get real tense when all they can see is the top of your hood. For some reason they all think I am trying to run them over or something....Semi drivers tend to do that darn weave thing that kicks rocks up everywhere too. You would think that driving that rig 8 hours a day everyday - they'd be able to control it better, sheesh, what a bunch of bad drivers....but I've learned about 6 different forms of sign language in the process, so it's all good!

Livin life one truck payment at a time.

Last edited by anothernewb; 08-01-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:23 PM

I read an article on how they test fuel mileage claims in a very precise manner. This was for big rigs but would apply to any vehicle. First off they have the equipment to measure the amount of fuel used in an exact manner. Second they get two rigs that are exactly the same. Then they run the two rigs over the same route at the same time and get a baseline to make sure the rigs are the same. Then the make a change to one, maybe something as simple as a fuel additive, and run the same route again. You have seen the big rigs with the side skirts? I'm sure they didn't just put those things on with a whim but actually tested them carefully. This was how they determined what actually helps with fuel usage on the big rigs. Think of these big fleets and how much fuel they use. If some additive or magic gizmo would actually increase fuel mileage 1% they would use it.

Did Myth Busters do this exact of testing? I don't think so. I only saw the episode where they ran one truck with the tailgate up and the other with the tailgate down. The one with the tailgate down ran out of gas first. Yeah, I know, maybe they weren't really identical, but I read a pretty detailed report from Ford where they also determined an open bed with a tailgate up gets the best fuel economy, so I bought into the Myth Busters thing.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:53 PM

huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

most likely junk science. does not negate the fact that no one who has installed the cover has posted an increase in mpg.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:09 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: SLT, Big Horn
Color: Black Pearl coat
Rep:229
Ramzaq has a spectacular aura aboutRamzaq has a spectacular aura aboutRamzaq has a spectacular aura about

Not sure if most responders looked at this link in my original post.

http://www.tonneau-covers-online.com...%20Savings.pdf

I know it sounds like an ad for tonneau covers but it is a study done in wind tunnels of several different covers on Ram, Ford and Chevy pickup trucks.

It is an interesting read.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:01 PM

interesting read, but with new shapes on current trucks, i would question if the results are still applicable.