DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 ram express
Trim Level: express
Color: white
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:47
gsxrfarm is on a distinguished road
Default BD review imo

well I have had my bd for a few weeks now and have played with it and tried to set it what I want and to how I drive , I drive a lot of hwy miles so im looking for more mpg and this is what I have came up with start to finish ...First off I have 2012 express , 20" factory wheels , 18" magnaflow , s&b cai .and 27xxxmiles .After opening the bd and trying to follow the the instructions to download the tune I found that "bullydog agent " didn't have the option to select my truck, so I called bd and they sent me the new update , I uploaded it and was able to find my truck there. if it wasn't for the forum and others on here saying they had to call I woulda been lost. so I chose the premium tune the first time , set both of my shift points to 5840 took it up the road and ran it a few times , ran like a beast no doubt but it seemed to fall down right before it shifted but I still left it. I fueled up at shell with 93 oct which I always run and started my test I drove it to work and home for 3 days a trip a day was 95miles round trip(10miles hills 35-55mph, rest was hwy.65-74mph). after the first day the trip to work in the morning was fine truck was pulling great and seamed to have no issues , but on the way home in the hills I was lagging it as always about 38-42mph and heard a "clinging" knocking whatever it was labor knocking so I pulled up the timing on the screen the next day , and again under a load it did the same thing the timing was at 24'. well on the final day I decided to punch in while it was under load on a straight stretch and nothing.
I went home and put it back stock and changed it to the regular tune set my shift points at 5800 ran it a few passes as I did the other one and found that you can turn the tc off on the programmer and wow a huge difference the truck was running like crazy. well once again I fueled it up 93oct shell same station and all , ran the same thing to work as always well the truck did just as well couldn't tell any diff driving on the hwy. when I got to the hills the same thing happened again the laboring was back just a little lower mph and the timing was at 22' ..

My over all experience with it is this installation was easy but they need to get the updates set up right for the agent the over all mpg in the premium tune was 17.2, the regular tune was 18.1 that's what I figured it at. I was hoping for more out of the MPG but a little is better than none , the performance was great A+++++ in both settings I cant see anyone being upset for it being a truck ..

but now to the labor knock is there anything I can do to fix that , maybe a tstat to bring the temps down a little , or I have seen people state a catch can but I don't understand what diff that will make.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Mostly used in Racing situations but not limited to, an oil catch can is used where excessive blow-by of air and fuel vapor occurs (including humidity). This creates a positive pressure in the crankcase. Engine manufactures have placed a valve on the engine block which releases this pressure. This valve is known as a PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve. During engine operation, blow-by gases, as well as oil mist from the rotating components of the engine, pass through the PCV valve and are routed back into the intake for the engine to burn off. However, some of the oil mist and other products settle along the engine intake and over time form a "gunk." The oil catch can collects the oil mist and condenses the fuel vapors while allowing "cleaner" gases to be passed back into the intake. Typically the blow-by gasses are passed through a wire mesh, which give the vapor droplets something to adhere to. Since the oil catch cans condense the vapor portion of the gasses, they will need to be drained periodically of all the oil, fuel and other contaminants.

Here is something I wrote on another thread about Catch can's and tuners.

"There does seem to be a lot of confusion on pretty much all the forums in regards to catch cans and what they do and why when one has a tune on there engine it is a wise idea to have a catch can ( if your engine can take one). Not only will it help keep your intake clean which is a good thing, but it will also help you burn your fuel cleaner.

So Here is some Information on What it is and why its a good Idea to have one with a tuner.

For anyone that does not know what a catch can is its a container that catches fumes and vapors from the valve assembly or crank case prior to being introduced back into the intake system for emissions purposes.

From what I have been gathering the main reason to install a catch can with a tuner is to catch the fumes and vapors and to prevent them from re-entering the intake system thus contaminating the Air/Fuel mixture Quality being used by the engine during its burn (also can help keep the intake cleaner than without one). The fumes and vapors that are re-introduced into the intake will carry oil, fuel vapor, and can also carry condensation from the valve assembly or crank case. These fumes reduce performance, longevity and can actually reduce the octane level in your combustion which in turn can steal fuel economy and could cause harmful detonation. There are many factors that can contribute to the detriment of Octane levels in a fuel being burned within an engine, some of these are air quality, humidity, age of the Gas used, Station mix ratio's and also Oxygen levels due to the level the truck is to the sea. Tuners modify the engine mapping, fuel delivery and other adjustments to try and extract the maximum power the engine can provide without it being detrimental to it, these adjustments can demand a very precise Fuel/air mixture, any contaminants introduced into the burn cycle can contribute to the Fuel mixture being less than adequate for the tune's new configuration of the engine. The Catch can will eliminate most contaminants from this process allowing for less or no contamination of the mixture being burned. People who install tuners can be in area's where one or many of these influences could create for an Octane mess which can then cause harmful detonation. Also Grime and sludge build up on the valves and cylinder head further make a mess of your engine over time so the catch can now catching these harmful vapors will help keep your engine cleaner and running better. Also I would like to point out, in my experience I have found that using a slightly Higher Octane fuel than that recommend by the Tuner company can alleviate many issues with engine detonation due to external influences on the Octane level of fuel used in said Vehicle.

I am in no way an engine engineer and don't consider myself one, over the years of racing and talking to these said people of knowledge the above information is an interpretation of what I have learned over the years as a Driver and vehicle user, the information is my opinion on said information and is to be taken as such. I don't condone nor sell these products. I do own 2 vehicles with Tuners and catch cans and have had them in all my race cars over the years. Please use this information for what it is, information."
Old 07-28-2013, 02:19 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Rep:517
shawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of light

Good write up on catch cans!!

Any updates on the knocking you got under load?
12 RCSB Express- 5%Tint, Gatorhyde spray-in, Black OEM Tips, Plasti Dip badges and Interior, CBE muffler,AFE CAI, Kenwood DDX370, Ks3.5s, Pioneer 6x9s,BT 964SP lowered on oem chrome 17's and some LEDs... Plenty on the To-Do list

New audio build in progress
Old 07-28-2013, 10:39 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

what brand of catch can are you all using,
Old 07-29-2013, 01:05 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Moroso catch can with drain valve.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:20 PM

haven't changed anything just driving time on the truck , I haven't heard anything so far, it may have just need more time on the ect to fully line out . I was talking to a friend and he said to try the tstat and go from there im going to change it next week and see, ima nut it under a few good loads and ill report back
Old 08-30-2013, 09:42 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Rep:294
SoCal Ram is a jewel in the roughSoCal Ram is a jewel in the roughSoCal Ram is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrfarm View Post
haven't changed anything just driving time on the truck , I haven't heard anything so far, it may have just need more time on the ect to fully line out . I was talking to a friend and he said to try the tstat and go from there im going to change it next week and see, ima nut it under a few good loads and ill report back
Anything new to report? Knocking still there?
Old 09-05-2013, 09:28 AM

yes there is, and I installed a catch can and still doing it .. im about to give up .im going to email bullydog and see what they have to say then im done with them if they cant fix it .. not worth chancing messing up the truck
Old 09-06-2013, 06:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: red
Rep:11
keg184 is on a distinguished road

Which tune do you have? I had same problem contacted BD and they updated my tune and it quit knocking. After the new tune, which was A015, the truck seemed to run fine and I got as high as 20mpg. Yesterday I returned the tune to stock and to my surprise the truck seemed to run better and shift better. I think as the computer learns your driving habits the truck seems to slow down and I think it is the same way with the BD tune, so I plan to switch back and forth.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:23 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Dark Cherry
Rep:162
anothernewb has a spectacular aura aboutanothernewb has a spectacular aura about

knocking is detonation. not good for your engine.
caused by either or a combination of too low of an octane, too much timing, or not enough fuel.

get it taken care of. your engine is telling you it hurts.

Livin life one truck payment at a time.