DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Cherry Crystal
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:42
GasHole is on a distinguished road
Default Grenade trans??

I am considering several mods to my new 2013 Sport in the upcoming year, some of which include a ported 85mm throttle body, headers, and a tuner. But from reading and researching, it seems that the 'weak link' in this equation will be our stock tranny, which apparently starts to fail or have issues right at about the new, increased horsepower rating that these combined mods would produce. Any thoughts on this? I'd like to ramp up the power and torque, but not at the cost of grenading a stock trans......thanks. (Here's a pic...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ram.jpg (131.9 KB, 23 views)
Sponsored links
Old 08-03-2013, 09:35 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing you have listed there will put you in danger with the trans. The trans will hold between 400-450rwhp, and a stock engine is putting down about 300-340rwhp, so there is wiggle room. It only starts becoming an issue when you get up in numbers either with a stroker, nitrous, boost, or a combination thereof.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:44 PM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

I've sprayed enough nitrous to fill the GY Blimp. 402.5 rwhp on a Mustang dyno and 190,000 miles. Transmission has been flawless. Couple of my Chevy owning buddies have roached their transmissions with wimpy sbc motors.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf.Line-X Bedliner, 210,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 08-03-2013, 09:58 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

I would say, if you are only doing the big three(i.e., intake, exhaust, tuner), there is no reason you should have any doubt in the OE tranny. The bulk of the blown tranny's, I say again!, The bulk of failed tranny's is from severe abnormal use and abuse. It is not an HD transmission! Once again, IT IS NOT A HEAVY DUTY TRANSMISSION! It is strictly a light duty transmission as it was engineered and designed to be. Once you understand this about the 545/65RFE, YOU WILL BE A MUCH WISER MAN. IT IS NOT MADE for superchargers as most experienced here will gladly tell you. 17500 miles and tranny pulls strong enough with a full year of weekend boat hauling to the fishin spots, Haulin landscape materials for the yard, and the occasional washer, dryer, or refrigerator to friends and family. Normal use.........
Old 08-03-2013, 10:00 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrex View Post
I've sprayed enough nitrous to fill the GY Blimp. 402.5 rwhp on a Mustang dyno and 190,000 miles. Transmission has been flawless. Couple of my Chevy owning buddies have roached their transmissions with wimpy sbc motors.
Oh man, here we go with the, "My buddies got a Ford or Chevy"!
Old 08-03-2013, 10:30 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:44
TaderzNgravy is on a distinguished road

I would say the lift/big tires combined with heavy towing or excessive burnouts will put your trans at risk the most. Also, your transmission will not "grenade", you'll just rub the friction material off of all of your OD clutches and possibly warp them causing your truck to lock in gear.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Blanco
Rep:10
Ramlaw is on a distinguished road

I had a chevy 2500 hd tranny grenade at 20,000 mi. Never hauled anything or otherwise abused it. So either trannies be trippin from time to time, or allison sucks, or they're all complicated machines and it's either a good one or a bad one. If it's a bad one, nothing you do matters, but wait till the powertrain warranty is up.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramlaw View Post
I had a chevy 2500 hd tranny grenade at 20,000 mi. Never hauled anything or otherwise abused it. So either trannies be trippin from time to time, or allison sucks, or they're all complicated machines and it's either a good one or a bad one. If it's a bad one, nothing you do matters, but wait till the powertrain warranty is up.
Well thankfully I purchased the lifetime one. And hopefully mine won't "be trippin" anytime soon. I'm just attempting to compensate for the resulting torque loss from the bigger tires/wheels. Not planning on doing any pro-stock burnouts anytime. And the only real hauling I do is dead deer and my 4 wheeler on a small 5x8 trailer during the fall.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaderzNgravy View Post
I would say the lift/big tires combined with heavy towing or excessive burnouts will put your trans at risk the most. Also, your transmission will not "grenade", you'll just rub the friction material off of all of your OD clutches and possibly warp them causing your truck to lock in gear.
Yeah, I guess the term 'grenade' is a tad overkill....I thought these newer gen transmissions were pretty solid units, though....especially after the trouble Dodge had with the 99 to 01 models.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:09 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

For near-stock power levels the trans is very solid, it's guys like me that push the trans well beyond its design limits that need to worry about them. Even with bigger power levels, if you're smart you can keep a trans alive well past most others, such as running a window switch when spraying and not spraying through shifts, or lifting to shift with boost.