DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie 4x2
Color: Deep Water Blue Two Tone
Rep:432
MightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really nice

When I started getting ready for the fire department I was not at my ideal weight either. I struggled really badly during the training since my buddies were in a lot better shape. My advice to you, from someone who has always struggled with food and weight is....

1. Be patient with yourself. Some days you'll do better than others at eating well and exercising. If you screw up one day, don't beat yourself up. Just get back up and continue.

2. Try to stay away from those fad diets. The key is to make the right food choices and keep things balanced. At first you can try to change things gradually instead of a drastic all or nothing change. Change a few things at first. Like drinking more water, instead of saying I won't drink any soda at all.

3. You want to avoid fast food if you can. Even a grilled chicken sandwich from fast food joints have a ton of salt, which makes you retain water and can raise blood pressure. If you can make it at home, it's better for you.

4. If you're going to be working out, you need to eat. If you cut down too many calories, you'll loose muscle and you'll be dragging butt during workouts. The key is portion control. Eat some protein, carbs, and veggies. And eat often, about every 3 hours. Once you do this for a few weeks, your body will get used to it.

5. If you need a guide, go to the bookstore and get a workout log where you can write down your daily workouts, what you eat, how you feel. They are pretty cheap.

6. Things you can eat are grilled or baked chicken and fish, tuna, turkey, nuts, veggies, salad, fruits, pasta, whole wheat bread, high fiber cereals. Remember, you want balance in your diet. Every once in a while treat yourself to a small treat to keep you sane.

7. I just started doing p90x and it's a great program. After I workout, I'm dripping in sweat and it's a hell of a workout. You don't need a gym and I like it because it's actually fun.

8. Drink lots of water. Stay away from regular gatorade as it has a ton of sugar. You can try G2 which is half the calories and sugar.

9. Stick with it. It won't happen overnight. You have to keep reminding yourself that it's a process.

Good luck with your plans and work hard and you will get there!

.[/I]

Old 12-09-2009, 04:52 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
RAMKING89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamateo76 View Post
7. I just started doing p90x and it's a great program. After I workout, I'm dripping in sweat and it's a hell of a workout. You don't need a gym and I like it because it's actually fun.

this program helps build endurance when you can make it through each disc everyday. If your just starting to work out it is dificult but its great cardio

Glad to hear your making a good decision for your future. Your going to do fine keep your head up man. When i enlisted for the Marine Corps i immediately started training while i was in DEP. Start slow and do lots of cardio. Air and water are what burns fat cells so lay off all the things you know you dont need to be eating. dont diet hard you want to keep your callorie amount to at a normal level or you rbody will thinkk your "starving" and store all the calories you eat. ask your recruiter about it. The corps had a poole meet every week before i left for boot where we worked out and talked about things that we needed to know. If you have any questions i'd be happy to answer them. Semper Fi.

Last edited by RAMKING89; 12-09-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:16 PM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:412
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

Stay away from the high carb stuff-sugars, starches. No more than 60 grams of carbs a day. You won't be hungry and you'll lose weight. Eat a hearty high protein breakfast like 2 eggs and sausage or ham or bacon, even watch out for hidden carbs and sugar in so called diet foods. Stay away from white foods= bread, pasta, rice, potato's and of course any sugar. BTW , I lost 100 lbs in basic training in 1971, 230 to 130. Wish I'd kept it off, 260lbs now. Good luck, you'll have the best time of your life and probably the worst too. But it will be a great experience. I really miss the time I spent in the Army stationed in Korea for 26 months, basic training, I don't miss that.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Borla duals, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf. 200,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 12-09-2009, 05:59 PM

Vehicle: 2008 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: electric blue pearlcoat
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:584
foxcrazy90 is a name known to allfoxcrazy90 is a name known to allfoxcrazy90 is a name known to allfoxcrazy90 is a name known to allfoxcrazy90 is a name known to allfoxcrazy90 is a name known to all

one trick is to drink a glass of water as you are cooking or before you eat.
2 1/2 level lift--hella 500ff grill lights--17x9 centerline grizzly-305-70-17 nitto terra grapplers--front air valance removed--tinted windows--custom audio system clarion vz401 head unit--pioneer 4channel amp and class D mono amp--memphis mclass door speakers--clarion dash speakers--kicker subs
Old 12-09-2009, 06:41 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Crew Cab TRX4
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:28
USCG71 is on a distinguished road

When you do eat drink a glass of water and eat a small portion after you finish eating wait at least 20 mins before you eat again so that your body has time to process that you did eat. Also try not to watch tv or play on computer while you are eating because it could make your brain not think that you have ate and make you feel hungry again instead of full.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:13 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:17
kineticenrage is on a distinguished road

wow thanks for the info guys. really cleared a lot of things up for me. i need to get more aggressive with my cardio apparently lol and maybe start doing some push ups/sit ups through out the day maybe like 10 reps 4 times a day. i'll be sure to keep you guys updated on my progress. thanks again
Old 12-09-2009, 08:20 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Color: Green
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:65
Yondaime will become famous soon enough

If you want to lose weight its all about how you want to lose it. Like do you want to turn it in to muscle, or get tone. This is a good site that i joined, it is VERY HELPFUL!!!!!!! It will tell you all you need to know and they can also help you make your own diet too.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/
Old 12-09-2009, 10:34 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Oh , if your overweight in beaucamp they'll take care of that for ya .
Old 12-10-2009, 01:05 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Ideal rapid weight loss caloric intake is 1200/day for the average person. Enough to keep your metabolism up and but not near enough to build fat. If you go much below that your metabolism crashes because your body thinks your starving.

DON'T SKIP MEALS. Especially breakfast. Food and excersize first thing in the morning is the best way to get your body geared to burn calories all day. Small frequent portions is also key to keeping the metabolism high and keepping the fat burning.

Excersize as much as possible, but even if it's not structured keep busy. Even if your not excersizing per say, keeping busy keeps your mind off food. The majority of junk food consumed is due to bordem more than anything else. If you keep yourself distracted you eat less.

Dropping the soda was a good move as well, all empty calories and really easy to rack up fast.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.