DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:10
coyboy is on a distinguished road
Default pleased so far

Was doing a little research on towing and found this forum. Anyways, I just got my 3.6L 4x4 quad cab a few weeks ago. I'm on my second tank of gas. I got 21.8 mpg with the first tank. the info center was saying I was getting 23.5 so actually getting about 1.7 mpg less then it says I'm averaging. However, on that tank of gas my wife drove the truck a lot and I even let another guy drive it while we hauled some furniture about 20 miles. I did not put my ropes in it (from my other truck) and one item was tall so I rode in the back and held onto the furniture. I was sitting on a cedar chest (not the side rail)...). I'm about half way through the second tank and with me driving 90% (wife still wants to drive it and I cave in) of the time it says I am getting 24.1 right now. I drive mostly highway but do have to go up and down a mountain nearly every time I go somewhere and the roads around here are usually hilly. I drove it up to Foster Falls last week and climbed a long grade from Jasper Tn going up towards Tracy City. I do drive reasonably slow, usually 60 MPH on a 65 MHP highway but I also usually drive 60 MPH on a 55 MPH highway...I just like driving at that speed if conditions are safe. I also dont gun it at takeoff. Before this I drove a small 2 wheel drive Nissan Frontier King Cab (traded it in on the Ram) that was a 4 cylinder straight shift. I got about 25 mpg driving it. Before that I had a Colorado 2WD (straight shift as well) with the 3.5 L 5 cylinder and got around 27 mpg but it was not an extended cab. I just bought a JD 4wheeler and towed it to the dealership for some work and my Nissan struggled getting it up the mountain (had to pull a mountain going to dealership and then coming home since I live on one mountain the JD dealership is on another mountain at Arab) Interestingly, this truck is only rated to tow 700 lbs more than the Frontier but I just cant imagine it would not tow that 700 extra lbs a lot easier. I am not missing the straight shift at all and for the first time ever have a truck with power windows. Anyways, bottom line, the truck is rated at 23/16 MPG HY/City and if I can average 22 mpg for my daily driving then I am well pleased. I actually think I can beat the 23 MPG on a trip, especially if I head south or west instead of to the Smokys like I plan to do soon.

PS looking to add a ladder rack to haul my longer kayaks. A toy hauler would be sweet (for camping with the Gator) but out of the budget for now. plus most of them weigh too much (especially since I did not go with the 5.7L)
Old 08-04-2013, 02:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QCab
Trim Level: SLT - 8spd 3.55 20"
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic Clear
Rep:368
arietem is just really nicearietem is just really nicearietem is just really nicearietem is just really nice
Smile Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf4X4 View Post
Just wondering how people are liking the 2013- 3.6 with the 8 speed trans.[ Power, gas mileage, transmission, etc.]
Got mine loaded & with the 3.55's - loving every moment .. and when I slam down the gas .. she goes .. no issues at all ..
Old 08-06-2013, 12:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Maximum Steel
Rep:10
coyboy is on a distinguished road

Just a FWIW. gassed up again today, got 21.9 mpg on this tank, computer was saying 23.8 so it was overestimating by 1.9 mpg. So, just slightly better mpg on second tank but nothing to get excited about.