DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-06-2013, 08:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

ya i just use my other gps set up that i update for free online
Old 08-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:83
FeedMetal will become famous soon enough

i watched the guy activate the nav in my sport. its just a series a pushing buttons in sequence and patherns to unlock the nav but once unlock it opens up a setup screen. would need all the info, serial number and that to activate it. so i dont think you could just unlock it. could be wrong tho
Old 08-06-2013, 08:35 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

ya its the updates that kill ya though and what you mean unlock like use while driving or unlock like i have it but i cant use it
Old 08-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:83
FeedMetal will become famous soon enough

if you know the combo of buttons for the model you have it will unlock the nav but you wont be able to use it without the final codes and that for the setup screen
Old 08-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1520
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

It's not just a code number that they enter. They use an algorithm to generate the activation code number. They take the serial number off the unit and give it to RAM. RAM generates an activation number with the algorithm software based on your serial number. That is the activation number they use to unlock the NAV. Software companies have been doing this for years. Once you know that algorithm a hacker can write a program/app that generates an unlimited number of activation codes. The software is called a Key Code Generator. Problem is with software the hacker can look through the programming code to find the algorithm. Not sure if it is even possible with these trucks. You would need access to the software at RAM. Basically industrial espionage.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped Grille Inserts The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover

Last edited by DarthRam; 08-06-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
l3ilko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgert View Post
ya its the updates that kill ya though and what you mean unlock like use while driving or unlock like i have it but i cant use it
yea i mean unlock as in get it for free since its really already there. just cant use it ;(
Old 08-06-2013, 05:37 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Outdoorsman 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black/Grey
Rep:25
Rah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRam View Post
It's not just a code number that they enter. They use an algorithm to generate the activation code number. They take the serial number off the unit and give it to RAM. RAM generates an activation number with the algorithm software based on your serial number. That is the activation number they use to unlock the NAV. Software companies have been doing this for years. Once you know that algorithm a hacker can write a program/app that generates an unlimited number of activation codes. The software is called a Key Code Generator. Problem is with software the hacker can look through the programming code to find the algorithm. Not sure if it is even possible with these trucks. You would need access to the software at RAM. Basically industrial espionage.
Or it leaks. Something always leaks

I suppose this is the wrong thread to ask it in but has anyone got an opinion of the factory NAV? I agree on the points about Google Maps but I thought i saw it did cool interactions between the EVIC and the radio screen? I can't imagine paying $500+ for it but if I needed a bargaining chip in a dispute I might let them "buy me off" with it. haha