DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

would you put a rotary shift knob on GT40
hell no

would you put one on a high dollar luxury vehicle, damn right !!

we have a a damn TRUCK, give us our shifter, something you can grab, like your tool

leave the rotating knob for the prissy ppl from England
FIAT SUCKS
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 08-06-2013, 08:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler
Trim Level: Sahara
Color: Steel Blue
Rep:106
spp will become famous soon enoughspp will become famous soon enough

Four letters are driving most of the decisions nowadays. I'll let you figure them out.

Hint: The weight of a knob and the assembly weighs quite a bit less than the shifter and associated hardware despite the fact both are electronically controlled transmissions.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:49 PM
The Sound of Eight Hooves

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:519
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

You don't put a knob on a GT40 because its a manual. On an auto the knob makes more sense.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 PM

Vehicle: 2014 ram
Trim Level: laramie
Color: Black Gold Pearl
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:10
mopar44o is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona2012 View Post
I won't deny that I am obsolete and old school, but having to fully extend your arm to reach the selector is not ergonomically natural. My bet is that the center console shifter on the 8-speed returns within 2 years, if for no other reason than the obsolete and old school people are the ones who have the money to buy $50K+ trucks.
How often are you shifting your automatic transmission that it's pain in the ass to shift?

Im not old school and intend to buy a new truck. The extra centre counsel room and weight savings are more important to me than old school looking shifter.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:38 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWM59 View Post
The shifter was actually the selling point for me. I think it looks totally BAD ASS! Very comfortable driving with my hand resting on it and my wrist when using radio and comfort controls. I want to feel like I am driving a truck not a Prius. First saw center shifter in Fords and hoped Dodge would do it. Hope they make it an option because it would be a deal breaker for me. Guess I'm just old school.
I have to agree here. One of the features that sold me was the floor shifter. I've had column and floor shifter (never dial though) and my vote goes to the floor shifter. It's a truck!!
It all boils down to personal preference. I like the look of the floor shifter (and FWIW...getting rid of the floor shifter doesn't provide that much gain on interior storage/space.)
The only way you could sell me on a non-floor shifter is by getting rid of the big, bulky floor console all together (or re-design it!) Without the shifter there, the whole unit looks out of place. Again...that's my opinion.
I like having a place to rest my hand, and I like the control of feeling the shifter.

I wonder if Dodge did a consumer poll to see what is preferred. I know if I was one of them being asked, I would have shut-down the idea all together for a dial mounted shifter. This idea is even dumber than the push-button shifters of the 60s!

And I really don't like the idea of the gear shifter (for the rotary dial) being on the steering wheel. That's where the advantage comes in to play when it's on the floor console. Just makes more sense (to me!)

THESE ARE MY PERSONAL PREFERENCES!!!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:23
Ramona2012 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar44o View Post
How often are you shifting your automatic transmission that it's pain in the ass to shift?

Im not old school and intend to buy a new truck. The extra centre counsel room and weight savings are more important to me than old school looking shifter.
I encounter several speed limit changes throughout my daily 100 mile round trip commute and use the console shifter to downshift to lower my speed.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:20 PM

Vehicle: 2014 ram
Trim Level: laramie
Color: Black Gold Pearl
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:10
mopar44o is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona2012 View Post
I encounter several speed limit changes throughout my daily 100 mile round trip commute and use the console shifter to downshift to lower my speed.
You could just let the automatic transmission do its job and work automaticaly :P
Old 08-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:23
Ramona2012 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar44o View Post
You could just let the automatic transmission do its job and work automaticaly :P
Doesn't work when the speed change occurs followed by going down a hill or even a slight grade change.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:11 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:539
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

dash knob = mini vans

Floor Shifter = Muscle Truck!

I love my Hurst, and need it to manually shift at the track
and use it for down shifting in the winter in my 4x4 (hate using brakes and ABS on ice/snow)

a dash knob on my 500HP Beast would suck!

If you're taking away my Floor Shifter I would want nothing less than steering wheel paddle shifters

...just like the new SRT8 Jeeps have with the new ZF 8 speed

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP
Old 08-08-2013, 02:14 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Limited 6'4"
Color: Black
Rep:30
astonius is on a distinguished road

Ford's console shifter looks much better than Ram's, but ultimately I dig the rotary knob, not so much for ergonomics, but because of the space it frees up in the console. I always liked Chevy's massive empty center console but hated the fact the shifter was (and sadly in 2014 still is, even on top trims) column-mounted.