DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-15-2012, 06:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
shadango is on a distinguished road

Well, I took the truck out and played a little.....

Tried to find some gravel on a hill of the same steep grade that I could back up without having to worry about the obstacles I have at home...no good.

But I did find a hill that was about half the grade and was gravel/dirt/sand.....

No matter what I tried, I could not make the light come on. Good traction, full power, all the way up.

I could STAND on the gas and brake in reverse if I wanted to for longer than the problem scenario calls for.......in both 4wd and 4wd low......and no sign of the light or the engine cutting out. Tried feathering the gas and brake in reverse in both modes for a longer distance than in the trouble scenario and no light at all. No problem.

So , it appears to NOT be a safety over-ride that I am seeing or else the light would come on while doing this. UNLESS it is the grade that is factoring in. No problem gassing and braking at the same time. Go out to your trucks today and try it if you get a chance to verify, but I am guessing you will find the same thing.

Yet I took it back home and FIRST TIME backing up the gravel hill in 4wd it came on. I tried turning off the traction control button (turns out that TC is NOT turned off in 4wd lock, just 4wd low)......same thing. Same spot.

I may try turning off the hill assist and seeing if that makes a different.

I did find that it doesnt seem to do it as readily (at all?) if I used 4wd LOW instead of just plain 4wd lock.

So I dont know what it is about the spot I am backing through/over that makes my truck want to do this.

By the way, I guess one could ask "why dont you just use 4wd low then"....

Well, one issue is that with 4wd low on gravel its real easy to dig in to this hill.....4wd lock seems to work best as far as not having the butt end of the truck spinning and digging in so easily.......

The other is, I just want to know what the deal is......not being able to replicate this issue away from the house is sort of bugging me....LOL

I am also wondering if using the 4wd low every time I back in to this spot is going to be an issue long term.....
Old 07-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Big Horn 1500 4WD
Color: Red
Rep:10
superdlb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadango View Post
Maybe.....and I am confusing it by also braking?

Dealer tells me it is normal and the way it works.....that I am creating the code by having the throttle and brake pressed at the same time.

Ok, but I asked him what the guys who are doing burnouts are doing to not have the issue, and no reply back yet.
It's not normal am having the same problem on the streets not in four wheel drive. In fact if you read your owners manual it has a section about using 4 wd and feathering throttling and breaks in exactly the same as you are doing it and it does not say anything about the light coming on.
Dealers are useless on this type of problem because I just got mine out of the shop after one and a half weeks in their shop I even had them have a tech drive it home and around town during this time, and the service writer "unless Chrysler tells them they can dig into this problem they would void the warranty". I am a retired auto tech with 25 years of driveability diagnostics. She even asked me why I haven't fixed it already and then she asked me if i wanted a job, LMAO!

I'd bet that it is either a short or loose connection, but they cannot dig into the wiring with out voiding my warranty YEAH YEAH, I guess I will have to do it myself.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Big Horn 1500 4WD
Color: Red
Rep:10
superdlb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadango View Post
Well, I took the truck out and played a little.....

Tried to find some gravel on a hill of the same steep grade that I could back up without having to worry about the obstacles I have at home...no good.

But I did find a hill that was about half the grade and was gravel/dirt/sand.....

No matter what I tried, I could not make the light come on. Good traction, full power, all the way up.

I could STAND on the gas and brake in reverse if I wanted to for longer than the problem scenario calls for.......in both 4wd and 4wd low......and no sign of the light or the engine cutting out. Tried feathering the gas and brake in reverse in both modes for a longer distance than in the trouble scenario and no light at all. No problem.

So , it appears to NOT be a safety over-ride that I am seeing or else the light would come on while doing this. UNLESS it is the grade that is factoring in. No problem gassing and braking at the same time. Go out to your trucks today and try it if you get a chance to verify, but I am guessing you will find the same thing.

Yet I took it back home and FIRST TIME backing up the gravel hill in 4wd it came on. I tried turning off the traction control button (turns out that TC is NOT turned off in 4wd lock, just 4wd low)......same thing. Same spot.

I may try turning off the hill assist and seeing if that makes a different.

I did find that it doesnt seem to do it as readily (at all?) if I used 4wd LOW instead of just plain 4wd lock.

So I dont know what it is about the spot I am backing through/over that makes my truck want to do this.

By the way, I guess one could ask "why dont you just use 4wd low then"....

Well, one issue is that with 4wd low on gravel its real easy to dig in to this hill.....4wd lock seems to work best as far as not having the butt end of the truck spinning and digging in so easily.......

The other is, I just want to know what the deal is......not being able to replicate this issue away from the house is sort of bugging me....LOL

I am also wondering if using the 4wd low every time I back in to this spot is going to be an issue long term.....
Just reaffirms my guessing a shorted wire or loose connection, steeper hill equals more movement of wiring harness.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Color: Silver
Rep:25
shadango is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdlb View Post
Just reaffirms my guessing a shorted wire or loose connection, steeper hill equals more movement of wiring harness.
Hey there.

It has been a while since I posted this thread!

I have not had the light come on for some time -- I have adjusted how I get into the spot........

I am pretty sure it was in fact caused by having the gas and throttle pressed at the same time......I have gotten more ballsy as far as getting in between the two obstacles and do not have the gas and brake pressed at the same time as much anymore.

And no light.