DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Ram CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:117
KJ48 will become famous soon enoughKJ48 will become famous soon enough

I dont know if the hemi/8 speed will beat an ecoboost in a drag race if they are driven properly. The '13 ecoboost/3.73 I had was a pretty quick truck when it wanted to be. But unlike having a large displacement V8 with the torque always there you knew you had a 6 cylinder and were at the turbo's, transmission's and computers's mercy driving around, not to mention the ecoboost's washing machine-like exhaust note wasnt really appealing.

I found the ecoboost to be a little boring, I know they supposedly toned down the '13s to help with the dreaded ecoboost full throttle shutdown in the rain but I wasnt super-impressed. Like a diesel they do tow well when heavily loaded, but around town there is some lag. I'm all for turbos/forced induction but IMO the ecoboost isnt 100% perfected yet. Your oil smelling like raw gasoline after a thousand miles is a little off-putting as well.

As far as fuel mileage I had to really baby the ecoboost to get the same mpg as the hemi rams I have owned in the city (13.3 mpg or so). Highway the ecoboost was maybe 1mpg batter, but once again you were scared to keep into the throttle for a long period of time with the ecoboost since the mileage dropped like a stone.

I'm not slamming the Ford, having raced turbo V6 buicks and other small displacement forced induction combos for years its a great concept. But the direct injection complicates things a bit and until they figure out the stumbling and killing catalytic converters I'll stick to a good old naturally aspirated V8. If I didnt have a '12 Hemi Ram Laramie before the '13 ecoboost I most likely would have thought the ecoboost was an awesome truck. IMO the '13 F150 was a step down from the '12 Ram I had, with a 4K higher msrp to boot. The '13 ram is an upgrade form the '12 I had so it makes the Ford even more a step down.

But I dont tow or haul heavy, if you are towing a heavy trailer and insist on a 1/2 ton you can configure the Ford to have a lot more cargo capacity, of course you lose that car-like ride though..

Last edited by KJ48; 08-07-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:50 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:74
AirborneSilva will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
I guess I don't see it as cheating. they spooled the turbos up to give it the most optimal launch. I'd do the same if I was racing too.
Take a good look at my post, at the smiley's - it's a joke, of course they weren't cheating

2013 Ram Sport
1976 Corvette L82

Old 08-07-2013, 05:04 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Dark Cherry
Rep:162
anothernewb has a spectacular aura aboutanothernewb has a spectacular aura about

^ it's all good. wasn't meant to be construed as a negative comment.

Livin life one truck payment at a time.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: sport
Color: gray
Rep:10
ramcfl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ48 View Post
I dont know if the hemi/8 speed will beat an ecoboost in a drag race if they are driven properly. The '13 ecoboost/3.73 I had was a pretty quick truck when it wanted to be. But unlike having a large displacement V8 with the torque always there you knew you had a 6 cylinder and were at the turbo's, transmission's and computers's mercy driving around, not to mention the ecoboost's washing machine-like exhaust note wasnt really appealing.

I found the ecoboost to be a little boring, I know they supposedly toned down the '13s to help with the dreaded ecoboost full throttle shutdown in the rain but I wasnt super-impressed. Like a diesel they do tow well when heavily loaded, but around town there is some lag. I'm all for turbos/forced induction but IMO the ecoboost isnt 100% perfected yet. Your oil smelling like raw gasoline after a thousand miles is a little off-putting as well.

As far as fuel mileage I had to really baby the ecoboost to get the same mpg as the hemi rams I have owned in the city (13.3 mpg or so). Highway the ecoboost was maybe 1mpg batter, but once again you were scared to keep into the throttle for a long period of time with the ecoboost since the mileage dropped like a stone.

I'm not slamming the Ford, having raced turbo V6 buicks and other small displacement forced induction combos for years its a great concept. But the direct injection complicates things a bit and until they figure out the stumbling and killing catalytic converters I'll stick to a good old naturally aspirated V8. If I didnt have a '12 Hemi Ram Laramie before the '13 ecoboost I most likely would have thought the ecoboost was an awesome truck. IMO the '13 F150 was a step down from the '12 Ram I had, with a 4K higher msrp to boot. The '13 ram is an upgrade form the '12 I had so it makes the Ford even more a step down.

But I dont tow or haul heavy, if you are towing a heavy trailer and insist on a 1/2 ton you can configure the Ford to have a lot more cargo capacity, of course you lose that car-like ride though..

Good write up. I know with mine I was always aware of of when those turbos spooled up and the fuel sucking results. I also couldn't agree more with the statement "I found the ecoboost to be a little boring". I just could never get into the truck like I am with the ram.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:39 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie Hemi 8 Speed
Color: Maximum Steel Met.
Rep:25
kxlexus is on a distinguished road

Get the Ram Hemi 8speed. Order the anti-spin diff. And MOST IMPORTANTLY you MUST order the 3.92 gears. Then go wipe a smile off a stock EcoBoost owners face. Don't even try with the 3.21 of 3.55 gears though.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:34 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: SLT, Big Horn
Color: Black Pearl coat
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:233
Ramzaq has a spectacular aura aboutRamzaq has a spectacular aura aboutRamzaq has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
I guess I don't see it as cheating. they spooled the turbos up to give it the most optimal launch. I'd do the same if I was racing too.
To my understanding the pickup truck shot out is suppose to test real world use in trucks in varying tests.

Now having said that, how many people power brake diesel turbos and ecoboost turbos, from stoplights and stop signs during daily driving?
Old 08-08-2013, 12:12 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

some good info on this thread, keep it coming.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Sport Crew
Rep:26
dodgehemi0 is on a distinguished road

Ya this us turning out to be a good positive no bashing thread. To make it even better I found 3 crew sports tonight. Will calk the dealership tomorrow and get info. Side note I CANT BELIVE THEY PUT 3.21 GEARS IN THE SPORT 4x4 really.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Sport Crew
Rep:26
dodgehemi0 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcfl View Post
Good write up. I know with mine I was always aware of of when those turbos spooled up and the fuel sucking results. I also couldn't agree more with the statement "I found the ecoboost to be a little boring". I just could never get into the truck like I am with the ram.
Yep me to I like my ford but thats it I like it.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 sport crew
Color: black
Rep:10
4sport is on a distinguished road

my choice was between 13 sport and 13 eco sport app. pk. the only plus for the f150 was longer box over the ram crew, what turned me off from the eco was the amount of trouble buds were having with the eco. I thought the ford looked to much like a work truck compared to the sport. as far as mpg the eco is really no better than the hemi and actually not as good as the f250 towing a 2 or 3 place snowmobile trailer. 100% please with the ram