DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-07-2013, 01:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
John Cambell is on a distinguished road
Default Air conditioned seat not working

Hi. I have a 2013 dodge ram sport. When I test drove, the vented seated were really cool to sit in, no pun intended.

Now... that I bought the truck, they seem to barely work. I stuggle just to feel the coolness. Is this normal? am I missing a setting? the 2 blue light are on.

Should I contact the dealer. I stuck my hand down the seat, to see if any fan was blowing, but felt nothing.
Sponsored links
Old 08-07-2013, 02:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram EcoDiesel
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: White
Rep:61
UpToNoGood will become famous soon enough

I felt the same about my seats but others have said they were built that way. Made to come on and off as needed. My 2012 F250 were very cold and always on.
2014 1500 Laramie Longhorn CC 4x4 8spd, 3.92 EcoDiesel - Hammerhead rear bumper sprayed with Linex - Iron Cross steps sprayed with Linex - Trucks cover tool box/Tonneau Cover combo - Geno's cabin filter - 275-65-20 Nitto Terra Grappler - Air Lift 1000
Old 08-07-2013, 03:05 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Gold / White Gold
Rep:264
Explorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the rough

Mine work great even on the low setting. BTW I don't know where some people are getting that the cooled seats turn on and off or turn off after a set time. The heated seats do go from high then to low then off after a set time limit for safety reasons but there is nothing in the owner's manual to indicate that the ventilated seats do the same. The ventilated seats pull in air from the cabin and blows the air through the seat cushions. If your air temperature in your cabin isn't noticeably cooler, then you won't feel much difference in the ventilated seats. Here in Arizona, I've been using my ventilated seats since I picked up my truck in April. In fact when I'm sweaty, I have to turn them off or my butt gets too cold.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:47 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler
Trim Level: Sahara
Color: Steel Blue
Rep:92
spp will become famous soon enough

There is a fan in the seat that pulls air from underneath the seat. If your truck has heat soaked, it may take a bit to notice the coolness. One trick I've heard people do is put the A/C on the feet blowing on high then turning on the vent seat. It should pull the cold air flowing underneath the seat through the seat.

Most ventilated seats I've come across aren't as powerful as one would expect. That includes the Lexus and GM seats. It works great over a long period but most don't give you that "My butt is freezing, did I pee myself? feeling" that one would expect. It's in the realm of "My butt isn't hot and I am not sticking to the seat".
Old 08-07-2013, 08:52 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spp View Post
There is a fan in the seat that pulls air from underneath the seat. If your truck has heat soaked, it may take a bit to notice the coolness. One trick I've heard people do is put the A/C on the feet blowing on high then turning on the vent seat. It should pull the cold air flowing underneath the seat through the seat.

Most ventilated seats I've come across aren't as powerful as one would expect. That includes the Lexus and GM seats. It works great over a long period but most don't give you that "My butt is freezing, did I pee myself? feeling" that one would expect. It's in the realm of "My butt isn't hot and I am not sticking to the seat".
Correct on the setting for the feet to really take advantage of the forced-fan under the seats. Also remember interior recirculating air will do a better job.

My GM [Tahoe] with app. 40K out-performs my Ram's ventilated/cooled seats hands-down. To this day, it still bites and gives me that "My butt is freezing, did I pee myself? feeling." My Ram's seats never compared from day one to my GM.

Grub out!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:43 AM

Interesting. I sat in a Tahoe for a trip from MI to IL and never felt a thing. I could hear the fan but never felt it.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:53 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Ram CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:117
KJ48 will become famous soon enoughKJ48 will become famous soon enough

They are not 'air conditioned' seats, they are ventilated seats like posted above. If its hot where the fans draw their air from then they will not be butt-freezing.

The Ram seats work as well as the GMs IMO, at least the ones I had, the '13 F150 I just sold vented seats were nothing spectacular either. The Ford had one of the weakest A/C performance I have seen in a while though, it would take half an hour to cool the cab off on a 95* day - its a common complaint on the F150 forums.

Depends what you are wearing as well, if you are wearing something that breathes easy then it will seem a lot cooler, if the blue lights are on and you can hear the fan motors running in the seats then they are working. If I remember the Ford had filters for the vented seats and I'm sure after a while they can hurt performance but as far as I know the Rams dont have a filter.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:27 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spp View Post
Interesting. I sat in a Tahoe for a trip from MI to IL and never felt a thing. I could hear the fan but never felt it.
What year model?

Grub out!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Rep:10
John Cambell is on a distinguished road

thanks for the help and replies. I guess my seat are probably working then.

I guess I was expecting something to the same effect as heating seats. Heated seats you sure can feel the warmth fast on a cold day, but the opposite is not true for vented.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:37 PM

Grub, it was an 09. It kept me from having SA at the end of the trip but I wasn't particularly cold or anything. Dual zone was set at 72 both sides and ambient was 90.

John, I would agree with you. Do remember the heat is through conduction (really quick and effective) and the cooling is through convection (takes awhile but eventually catches up). The ventilated seats can only make it as cold as the air under the seat.