DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of
Default Want to add a 10" Sub to the Alpine system

Need some input and help. Please don't reply with search the forum or Google I have been reading.

I just want to add a single 10" sub to the Alpine 9 speaker system and keep the Alpine OEM sub. Want to install the 10" sub on the drivers side under the rear seat.

(1) The JBL GTO-501EZ amp (350-500 watts RMS) looks like a good mono amp to run a single sub?

(2) What would be a good 10" sub $0-$150 range for this install?

(3) Can I tap off the lead wires going to the Alpine sub (8.4an head) to get the signal to the JBL amp?

(4) What are the OEM wire color codes at the Alpine sub so I can tap into them to add RCA plugs?

Have I got my information right or should I go with a different setup to add more base? Would like to spend under $500 for all parts. I will be doing the installation myself.

Thanks, Greg

Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2013, 03:23 PM

gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcscott View Post
Need some input and help. Please don't reply with search the forum or Google I have been reading.

I just want to add a single 10" sub to the Alpine 9 speaker system and keep the Alpine OEM sub. Want to install the 10" sub on the drivers side under the rear seat.

(1) The JBL GTO-501EZ amp (350-500 watts RMS) looks like a good mono amp to run a single sub?

(2) What would be a good 10" sub $0-$150 range for this install?

(3) Can I tap off the lead wires going to the Alpine sub (8.4an head) to get the signal to the JBL amp?

(4) What are the OEM wire color codes at the Alpine sub so I can tap into them to add RCA plugs?

Have I got my information right or should I go with a different setup to add more base? Would like to spend under $500 for all parts. I will be doing the installation myself.

Thanks, Greg

Would I be better off using the JBL GTO-501EZ amp to power a different 8" or 10" sub in the OEM sub box?

It seams that there is very little sound coming from the Alpine sub. Anyone done this? I need some ideas.

Greg

Last edited by gcscott; 08-10-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:39 PM

Vehicle: 2011 2500
Trim Level: big horn
Color: grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
autokraftgt is on a distinguished road

Ditch the factory sub and enclosure and replace with something aftermarket.
Get a box for a single 10 from net audio
Buy a Sundown sa10
alpine Mrp m-500
You'll be in the $500 range for everything
You'll be happy
Old 08-13-2013, 02:54 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Sagebrush
Rep:87
kkreit01 will become famous soon enough

1. Yes, I'm quite please with my EZ Amp. Install is a snap.
2. 100s of choices: Sundown E10, Incriminator Audio I series, JBL GTO, Image Dynamics ID10, etc.
3. You should be able to. I did for the 430N. I don't know the difference of the 8.4an. Use the bare-wire-to-RCA jacks that come with the JBL amp.
4. I'm also unsure if the colors changed in '13. I'd search other forums. I'm quite positive colors will be the same between all platforms using the same audio system. You may be able to find the wiring diagrams here:
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2menu.htm
I did for my 430N system. Colors were identical.

5. Buy or build a decent box for your sub. I'd advise against the 5/8" MDF ebay ones.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 longhorn
Trim Level: longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
fritoman1 is on a distinguished road

I just did this myself. The stock sub is a joke so just get rid of it. When you see the wires that connect to that sub, you will see that they are taped up in two sets, so one is left (+ and -) the other is your right (+ and -). My kicker amp had a remote controller that I can adjust the volume of the amp independently from the radio so you can fine tune it to your liking.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:03 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Red
Rep:91
ttredraider78 will become famous soon enough

I just added an L3 in a custom Kicker made ported truck box powered by a Kicker DX250.1 monoblock amp to the 7 speaker Alpine system in the R/T. I got my refurbed amp, refurbed sub, and box off ebay for 199.95 through sound domain. They even included an amp kit. The nice thing about the R/T and possibly other models is that my factory amp was right there under the dash on the driver's side. I just T-tapped the 2 rear speaker inputs going into the Alpine amp for signal. I took those speaker wires and bought a JL Audio speaker wire to RCA conversion wiring thingamabob for $14.99 at a local audio dealer. This eliminated the need for a line output converter. The Kicker amp also allows for a High Level signal so that eliminated the need for a remote turn-on wire. Definately added some oomph the factory stereo. Sorry to be long winded, but I just wanted everyone to know how easy it is to add an amp and sub to the factory system. Took me about an hour total.
Mods-2013 R/T w/Moe's 87MM TB, JBA shorties, muffler delete, custom Y-pipe, 180 Tstat, TYC E-fan, SC Flashpaq/93 Tune, BT Catchcan, Modified stock intake, Volant intake tube/K&N filter, Kicker 250.1, Kicker L3 w/ ported Kicker box,Polk 3.5's, Limo tint, Truxport bedcover, lowered 2" in back
Old 08-13-2013, 10:56 PM

I ended up buying the JBL GTO-501EZ Amp and the JBL GTO-RBC Wired Remote Control along with a 4 gauge wire kit.

I am going to first try to use the stock OEM subwoofer and see what it sounds like. (I'm cheep and doesn't cost anything to try) Since it is a duel voice coil speaker (left and right channel) I will have to check what the OHM rating is before I wire it up to the monoblock amp.

If the sound is unacceptable I will look into getting a new subwoofer and box.

I also purchased a set of Infinity Reference 3032cf for the dash speakers (front sound stage). Going to disconnect the center dash speaker for better separation.

I will update when all parts arrive and I get them installed and some pictures too.

Greg

Last edited by gcscott; 08-13-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcscott View Post
I ended up buying the JBL GTO-501EZ Amp and the JBL GTO-RBC Wired Remote Control along with a 4 gauge wire kit.

I am going to first try to use the stock OEM subwoofer and see what it sounds like. (I'm cheep and doesn't cost anything to try) Since it is a duel voice coil speaker (left and right channel) I will have to check what the OHM rating is before I wire it up to the monoblock amp.

If the sound is unacceptable I will look into getting a new subwoofer and box.

I also purchased a set of Infinity Reference 3032cf for the dash speakers (front sound stage). Going to disconnect the center dash speaker for better separation.

I will update when all parts arrive and I get them installed and some pictures too.

Greg
Well the Infinity Reference 3032cf speakers came today and I installed them in the dash and disconnected the center speaker. The install time was about 1/2 hour and than the listening time was 1+ hours of changing the equalizer and center balance settings.

The front stage sound is more crisp and defined. I was able to change my center fade control closer to center with the much improved sound. Disabling the center speaker removed the muddy sound that I didn't like. I can here the front door speakers now with the change of the center balance.

Infinity Reference 3032cf speakers came with a 3.3uf crossover soldiered in place and in a plastic bag came 2 100uf capacitors that I did not use. Also got the wiring adapters so the speakers were plug & play.

The JBL GTO-501EZ Amp should be here on Saturday, but will have to wait until midweek so I get some extra time to play.

Picture of the Infinity Reference 3032cf speakers.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01010063.JPG (54.1 KB, 15 views)

Old 08-17-2013, 01:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Hemi
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:26
rockyram21 is on a distinguished road

Did those plug and bolt in no problem?
Old 08-17-2013, 01:44 PM

Infinity Reference 3032cf speakers from http://www.crutchfield.com/ come plug & play.
Just pop off the speaker grill, unbolt 2 screws, unplug the OEM speaker and replace.