DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 4.7l v8 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:160
Astartes has a spectacular aura aboutAstartes has a spectacular aura about

LOL that diesel truck literally tore the jeep in half
Greater love has no one than this, that a man lay down his life for his brothers. -John 15:13

My Mods
Old 08-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2505
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
They frequent the F150 boards....
That is funny, but apparently an element of truth.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Color: Black Baby
Rep:172
Yotaconvert has a spectacular aura aboutYotaconvert has a spectacular aura about

This has just sent me into a frenzy of youtube "how not to" vids.

Sorry to hijack lol
-Flowmaster 40
-Bullydog Hemi GT
-MB Rims (cuz im cheap lol)
Old 08-11-2013, 11:06 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Silver
Rep:32
davidgcet is on a distinguished road

whenever i pull someone out i not only get them to hook the chain/strap to their vehicle but i double check it. If i don't like how they did it i tell them and we either find a better spot or they agree up front that if it tears something up it is not my fault. but honestly in 25 years of driving the worst i have ever done to someone else's vehicle is had the chain scratch the bumper/air dam.

Also, i give ONE gentle pull, if that does not work it is time to snatch. if they don't want me to snatch on it i simply tell them to find someone else. I'm not going to play around getting someone out, that is how the assisstance vehicle gets stuck too. Of course, around here we are not dealing with snow/ice but mud.

I also prefer to pull from the front of my truck, reverse just seems to work better than forward on the pulling vehicle. Plus i can see what is going on that way.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:177
richmond has a spectacular aura aboutrichmond has a spectacular aura about
Default Reverse

I too think reverse is best. From the rear I have used Astartes method with a 20' sling and Reese hitch pin with the crook in it. I also carry one of those old construction clevises with screw in pin in the tool box (you never know).

Feedback on the "Bubba" rope would be nice (mud only I think). R...
Old 08-11-2013, 12:36 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:217
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

Lots of good advice, start by pulling gently is the best advice. I've also learned to judge the person you are pulling out. I've pulled a few people out over the years and been pulled out even more often. Most people are gratefull you stopped to help, but some are idiots that think they know more about it than you. For example the last person that I tried to pull out backed into a deep ditch at a baseball game. It was two ladies and her friend. It was a SUV and it was going to be easy for me to pull it out but it was a deep ditch and there was no doubt it might do some damage pulling it out. Well this ladies friend must have watched to many TV shows where they come in with these big rigs and actually can pick the vehicle up and set it down on the road. Of course the small town I'm from doesn't have such rigs. I finally didn't say a thing, put my tow rope away and left without saying a thing. I hope the tow cost them at least a $100 and there is no doubt in my mind the tow truck pulled them out the same way I would have.

My point is judge the person your pulling out and sometimes its better to offer them a ride than risk damaging there vehicle or mess with them if they think they know more than you. Its tough to find a place on a modern car to hook onto.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:05 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:963
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
One method would be to use tow straps attached to a shackle such as this http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Tow-Ready/TR63046.html.
Thats the one brother! Great recommendation!
Old 08-11-2013, 08:30 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Laramie 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/silver trim
Rep:63
TRCM will become famous soon enough

Well, while it may be easier to see when pulling someone out in reverse.....YOU SHOULD NEVER DO IT !!!

Yes, there are times it can't be avoided, but pulling in reverse loads the ring gear heavily on the back side of the teeth, which is not the strong point, and you run the risk of cracking a tooth pulling in reverse, especially if you are snatching someone out. And don't forget the transmission....its reverse gear is not designed to handle high loading either, not to mention the gear ratio is not the best.

If it can't be avoided, do so slowly, but otherwise, always pull someone out in a forward direction. Not only is it less stress on your truck, but it is safer for you ( no chance of the rope coming at you thru the windshield)

Last edited by TRCM; 08-11-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:57 PM

Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Rep:32
davidgcet is on a distinguished road

i'll agree to disagree on that one, was taught that method by old timers that know how to off road. I've been doing it for many years and never had a problem on dozens of vehicles i've owned. most vehicles i've had reverse is just about the right gear ratio for optimum pulling. heck, i used my '04 Ram 1500 to pull out numerous trees around my property and all of them in reverse a few i even had all 4 tires on pavement. no issues with the tranny or front/rear end in 9 years of ownership.

also i only pull out in 4wd, never in 2wd. If you must use 2wd then yes you always want to pull in a forward direction for best traction.

we do agree on one thing, pulling forward you don't have to worry about the rope/strap hitting the windshield. i once popped a chain and luckily it wrapped on the brush guard and did not hit the truck itself, but that was also 2 30' chains hooked together because the guy's Bronco II was in a very soft spot and i could get no closer than about 40'. got 1 running start that was just a few feet too much. LOL
Old 08-11-2013, 10:38 PM

Trim Level: Express
Color: True Blue
Rep:50
mgbighorn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
Here's another educational one to avoid...

that many people standing right next to that chain makes me cringe