DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn Edition
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:126
wolfman01 will become famous soon enoughwolfman01 will become famous soon enough

Ah, the memories of remodeling. Been there, done that with the shower. I used PEX tubing for the lines with the snap tight fittings. Worked perfectly. I hope you snap pics of the finished product and share when you're done.
1995 Tiffin Allegro Bay (46k)
1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra (97k)
Old 07-28-2013, 10:52 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I certainly will! I was going to put in the top layer of mud on the liner today but had a bit too much to drink last night and wasn't feeling up to it today lol. I'll hopefully get that done some time during the week.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:47 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Here's the latest. Saturday I cut the tile for the curb, bullnosed the caps, and installed it all. Won't be long now, probably a few weeks(I only get about a couple hours of work done a week).

Old 08-14-2013, 09:38 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 club
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Electric Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:210
sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about

Why people use plastic for pressure lines is beyond me???
Use a standard brass/copper fitting to brass pipe, if you want to keep plasic then just connect with a shark bite down the line a bit.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:42 PM

^pvc has it's place. A lot of guys don't like it but it's extremely durable. PVC is almost exclusively used in FL nowadays. Just about every house(and commercial projects) use pvc now. It's easier/cheaper to install, more flexible, and overall cheaper material. You can also join pvc with some water in the line, which makes it ideal for remodel projects. If you've ever tried to sweat copper with a single drop in the pipe you know it's impossible. The only downside to pvc/cpvc is it gets brittle when exposed to UV.

Copper has it's place as well. I'll use copper when I plumb the other bathroom which has a tub. Copper is needed there for structural support.

I highly recommend you NEVER use a sharkbite, or any other non permanent fitting in an inaccessible area such as this(behind the wall). Sharkbites are ok, but are the "easy" and expensive way out. More like a bandaid. They do work ok, but only use them where they can be seen(such as hot water tanks, under cabinets for sinks, etc). Don't hide them in walls where they can't be accessed.

I have a good amount of experience with pvc and when we used to install plumbing on swimming pools over several years of doing jobs we never had a single leak when pressure testing. The only leaks we ever had were due to failed jet caps.

You'll also notice that the problem area I had was a threaded COPPER connection....

FWIW, if the supply lines coming up through the slab would have been copper I would have plumbed with copper. If it'd have been PEX I would have used PEX. Since it was CPVC, I used CPVC. The key is to be versatile and know what to use, when, and where.

Last edited by snrusnak; 08-14-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport 4x4 SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:26
Crobber is on a distinguished road

I would place good money of PEX pipe it is a game changer. The thought process behind PEX is that the pipe may be smaller and move less water, but it requires less 'hard' bends i.e 90 degree corners. so it is much more effecient.
I think you lose 15% of pressure for every 90 degree turn. Which racks up.
When running from one 2nd floor to the first I can eliminate 3-5 90 bends. for example
PEX also expands up to 300% and can return to normal operating size.
I also recommend not using the plastic fittings but go ahead and grab the copper fittings with the copper crimp rings.
I believe PEX has been around for 30 years and is gaining ground in popularity in the right applications.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:59 PM

PEX is fine, although there are good and bad PEX products. Modern ones seem to be good, but in the 80's if you do some research many were VERY prone to leaking. Also, the way the joints are crimped, makes me uneasy. I know they seem to hold up, but it's more of a "it looks like it's going to leak" thing to me. I'd have no problem using it, though.

FYI, that is not correct about the hard bends. You lose almost no pressure in a hard 90 degree bend. You are thinking of non pressurized flow. Pipe's under pressure lose almost nothing in a hard bend. We dealt with this in plumbing pools where we alwasy thought it'd be better to use multiple 45's instead of a 90, but we were proven wrong and actually got in trouble for doing so as we were creating more joints which means more likely to leak. They showed us pressure test data that was nearly identical with hard 90's, 45's, 22.5's, and straights and they were basically the same.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:11 AM

Here's where I'm at, laid the first two rows last night. Will finish tiling the back wall tonight or tomorrow.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
jfreakofkorn is on a distinguished road

looking good ....
Old 08-21-2013, 02:43 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport 4x4 SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:26
Crobber is on a distinguished road

Interesting snur. I was informed that it was a 15 % loss in pressure for every 90 bend. Even someone brought in a demo. It wasn't for pex but some new toilet design on making the flu s h more efficient, but I took it hy the same principle (the demo changed the water flow pattern if I recall) ill have to look back into the reduction loss at 90 bend. If what you are saying is true