DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab Sport
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:251
2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough

My dealer told me when I bought the truck not to run syntheitc for the break in and advised me not too afterwards, keep running conventional he said.

How long is the break in period approx.?
Old 08-17-2013, 11:46 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 ASSAULT 800 View Post
My dealer told me when I bought the truck not to run syntheitc for the break in and advised me not too afterwards, keep running conventional he said....
Did he tell you why, or did you ask him why?

Grub out!
Old 08-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My dealer told me when I bought the truck not to run syntheitc for the break in and advised me not too afterwards, keep running conventional he said.

That is crazy talk. There is no legitimate reason in the modern vehicles not to run synthetic from the get go if that is your desire. As a matter of fact many new vehicles come equipped with synthetic from the manufacturer. Grub asks some good questions, the answers might be interesting.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:57 PM
The Sound of Eight Hooves

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:519
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

I thought 5w20 only came in synthetic blend or synthetic, not conventional.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black Gold Pearl
Rep:10
sga4x4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I think the break in for the '13s is 3000 miles. I know people who have that thought as well. They believe that todays conventional oil is just as good as synthetic. I can't get them to change their thinking despite the science behind synthetic. Basically synthetic doesn't break down as quickly as conventional. The military uses synthetic on just about everything and has the oil tested. If it's still good, it doesn't get changed. Most synthetic oil will go 10 to 15000 miles between changes. I don't drive that many miles, so I end up changing mine once a year.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:05 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram RT
Trim Level: RT
Color: Steel Blue Metallic
Rep:136
ValleyRacer will become famous soon enoughValleyRacer will become famous soon enough
Default Learn to determine when people talk out their arse

Quote:

What if your dealer told you to mix a little WESSON SALAD OIL in with your regular oil change?

Would you do it?

Dealer personnel often talk out their arses. Synthetic oil is the SMARTEST thing you can POSSIBLY do to lubricate your engine. Why would you do anything to the contrary?
Old 08-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyRacer View Post
What if your dealer told you to mix a little WESSON SALAD OIL in with your regular oil change?

Would you do it?
No has to be Canola oil.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:12 PM

Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been an advocate of break-in periods for new vehicles.

I've driven EVERY new vehicle - in recent times - out of the dealership's lot like I just stole it.

Never had an issue.

Grub out!
Old 08-17-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
I thought 5w20 only came in synthetic blend or synthetic, not conventional.
Pennzoil, Quaker State and Valvoline are a few that come to immediate mind, that are available in straight conventional motor oil.

Grub out!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:46 PM

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: White
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sga4x4 View Post
I think the break in for the '13s is 3000 miles. I know people who have that thought as well. They believe that todays conventional oil is just as good as synthetic. I can't get them to change their thinking despite the science behind synthetic. Basically synthetic doesn't break down as quickly as conventional. The military uses synthetic on just about everything and has the oil tested. If it's still good, it doesn't get changed. Most synthetic oil will go 10 to 15000 miles between changes. I don't drive that many miles, so I end up changing mine once a year.
They are telling the truth for the most part, Dino oil has come a long ways and some recent UOA's have proven it is now lasting as well as protecting pretty close to synthetic numbers.

The latest Pennzoil Dino oil, or PYB (Pennzoil Yellow bottle) as they refer to them at bitog.com, show excellent numbers after thousands of miles.

When you compare prices between the two, Dino VS Syn, and depending on your driving style/conditions, Dino makes more sense in a lot of cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyRacer View Post

Would you do it?

Dealer personnel often talk out their arses. Synthetic oil is the SMARTEST thing you can POSSIBLY do to lubricate your engine. Why would you do anything to the contrary?
No doubt Syn is good oil but that also depends on who's you purchase??

I have been liking the UOA's and VOA's I have been reading on bitog.com (bob is the oil guy) about Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra but some UOA's from different oil manu's, well not so much.

My personal believe now with regards to synthetic is, if you don't tow/haul on a regular basis, live in a cold/hot climate, drive in dusty/dirty conditions, drive constantly in stop and go traffic etc etc, then synthetic isn't likely for you, especially if you are changing your oil at the 5000-7000 mile mark or less.

Today's oils have come a looong ways, as has motor technology and the need to run syn's is becoming a thing of the past as most simply don't need it as most dino oils can fulfill the requirement and in most cases exceed what syn's were once designed for.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop...-your-oil.html