DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab
Trim Level: deluxe
Color: Grey with Silver trim
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
ATL Cattle is on a distinguished road
Default Cracking exterior bed wall on 2012 Ram 2500

I bought my truck ( 2500 Mega Cab diesel ) a year and a half ago, all decked out, headache rack, bed rails, foot rails, bumper guard, goose neck hitch and bed liner. Love the truck, however .....

Have 22,000 miles on it and noticed the exterior of bed is cracking on both driver and passenger side, under the bed rail, about 4 " from the front of bed, and there are no bolts near the cracks ! No help yet from Chrysler, other than two dealerships calling in, and relaying the message that this is not a warranty issue.

The dealer that sold me the truck, with the accessories installed is "hiding" from me, not wanting to offer any help or solution, saying that there have been many buyers who installed bed rails and tool box that are having the same issue. This dealer no longer will install the headache rack and bed rails.

Anyone having this issue and any success with Chrysler owning up to this defect ? Today, I now notice the very front corners of the bed, on both sides are also cracking, YIKES !
Sponsored links
Old 08-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

sounds like you need a lawyer if the dealer is hiding from you. check with a body shop to see what is causing this and what the repair would be.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:420
skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice

What do you mean "the exterior of the bed is cracking."
Steel cracks usually when it is exceedingly cold, brittle from being overworked by heating, flexing, twisting or tension. A cargo box is generally not exposed to such conditions.
Perhaps your truck bed once was in an accident and the bed was damaged and cold forced back into shape. Check the truck's history.
You may indeed need legal assistance if the dealer is irresponsible or a low life. BTW, used cargo boxes are available at remarkably low cost so you are not in a calamity by any means.

Last edited by skytop; 08-17-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:00 AM

huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

hmmmmmm...could the dealer be hiding because they fixed up a truck without reporting it to carfax? didn't do the repairs properly?
Old 08-18-2013, 02:05 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: True Blue
Rep:50
mgbighorn will become famous soon enough

Could you post up any pics?
Old 08-18-2013, 03:05 PM

Vehicle: 2010 R/T RAM
Trim Level: R/T
Color: BLUE
Rep:274
will36 is a jewel in the roughwill36 is a jewel in the roughwill36 is a jewel in the rough

Pics. will help. I have seen this before on all kinds of trucks. Most are used in the log woods and have overloaded tool boxes. The bedside on these new trucks are so thin. You guys would flip out if you only knew.

The quarter panels on the Challengers are so thin Dodge fills up the space between the inner and outer with foam.

post pics. that will tell the story.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:13 PM

will36 is a jewel in the roughwill36 is a jewel in the roughwill36 is a jewel in the rough

Me and my son put a 1/4 on this one saturday. This is after all the foam was cleaned up. The bedsides are just as thin as the 1/4 pnl.

The new Z-28's are even thinner. The 1/4 will bend if you pick it up by yourself it will not support its own weight. This makes my job real fun.

Its probally cracking due to stress and being to thin to start with.

Last edited by will36; 08-18-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:44 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
hmmmmmm...could the dealer be hiding because they fixed up a truck without reporting it to carfax? didn't do the repairs properly?
I wasn't aware dealerships were required to report anything to Carfax?

Grub out!
Old 08-18-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
I wasn't aware dealerships were required to report anything to Carfax?
car fax is a joke. I had a 2006 charger. Insurance paid more to fix it than I paid for it new. It was hit hard 3 times and my wife hit a pole in a parking lot trying to save a puppy (dont ask ) and she hit deer twice in it. The only original panel left on it was the roof and one door.

The last wreck ($11,000 dollars worth) I painted it all over and sold it to a dealer. They ran a carfax on it and it came back clean. I did tell them it had been wrecked. They could not find it so they said cool.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:19 PM

no they are not required to report to carfax, but i would bet real money they showed a clean fax to op. who in this day an age would buy a used car without asking for a copy of carfax. i would consider this fraud. why would the dealer hide from op?