DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi
Trim Level: 1500
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:177
brondondolon has a spectacular aura aboutbrondondolon has a spectacular aura about
Default Brake light question

so i smoked my tail lights and well they came out a little darker then expected but light visibly shines through almost as bright as if they weren't tinted. however the day i put them on i got pulled over at night the cop said she couldnt see the light i call bull sh!t because i had my gf drive a little over 500 feet in front of me and they were still highly visible. she let me go with a warning but i want to eliminate the possibility of being pulled over as much as possible.

here is my question. what is the brightest led bulb that is recommended? i dont want ebay bulbs that have 90 diodes on it but only 6 of them work if you know what i mean. id like a quality bulb that is abnormally bright if there is such a thing. also i bought led bulbs for my front blinkers when i installed my HID a while back ago that didnt work. the guy at the place said i must have a special variant of 3157. idk if he was just making up an excuse or what. but as i was on superbright led dot com i found that there were 2 different bulbs recommended for the tail lights there was 3157 and 3157-SCK. does any one know what bulb id need for my truck as im having a hard time finding any info on this and id hate to buy the wrong bulbs. idk if this info will help with anything or if it makes a difference but i have the canbus system and the 4 head light headlight housings

any info will help thanks guys.
S&B CAI, Y-pipe muffler delete, Diablo intune, Hemifever, custom tune, 180 thermostat, BT oil catch can, smoked, tail light and 3rd breaklight, 5000k retrosolutions 55w HID headlights and fog lights, LED in all exterior lamps, red calipers. Future mods: 87mm TB, 3000 stall torque converter
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4x4 QC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Stone White
Rep:187
dvarn has a spectacular aura aboutdvarn has a spectacular aura about

I have replacement LED taillights by recon and love em. I put a LED bulb in for the reverse light and it does a fair job, though not as bright as stock was. I swapped out the third brake light for LEDs to. their website is:http://www.gorecon.com
Old 08-12-2013, 06:23 PM

brondondolon has a spectacular aura aboutbrondondolon has a spectacular aura about

is it significantly brighter than stock? and what bulbs did you go with?
S&B CAI, Y-pipe muffler delete, Diablo intune, Hemifever, custom tune, 180 thermostat, BT oil catch can, smoked, tail light and 3rd breaklight, 5000k retrosolutions 55w HID headlights and fog lights, LED in all exterior lamps, red calipers. Future mods: 87mm TB, 3000 stall torque converter
Old 08-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

The taillights are definitely brighter than stock, but I wouldn't say they're too bright.

The reverse light is a 921 type bulb. I think mine have 6 LEDs each. Here's a link that lists every bulb in the truck and what type it is: http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applic...l=1637&make=24
Old 08-13-2013, 01:57 PM

yeah i tried that site and it doesnt give me the break light bulb number. i guess they make 2 different lights for our break lights. what bulb number did you go with in your break lights?
Old 08-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

http://www.gorecon.com/product_image...image-1155.jpg

This is what I have. They replace the whole housing, so there's no need to replace an individual bulb. The third brake light too, new housing with LEDs built in.

Last edited by dvarn; 08-13-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:49 AM

Vehicle: 2009 RAM CC Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Sunburst Orange Pearl
Rep:15
BlownGP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brondondolon View Post
yeah i tried that site and it doesnt give me the break light bulb number. i guess they make 2 different lights for our break lights. what bulb number did you go with in your break lights?
You will have to tint them again if you want them blacked out

There is no LED plug in play bulb that will brighter then a standard incandescent bulb.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:11 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

What I don't like about these companies is that they don't tell you;

1) Whose LED's do they use
2) What is the beam spread of the LED
3) What is the rated life of the LED
4) What is the lumen package of the LED
5) What is the lumens per watt
6) What colour temperature are the LED's
7) How is the T-junction temperature of the LED managed
8) And what sort of warranty to they give you?

For the record LED's should last a minimum of 50,000 hours, anything less than that then you are getting robbed.

Manufacturers should also be giving you a minimum of 3 year's warranty too.

What typically will go wrong with an LED is the driver that controls it, and that too should come with a 3 year warranty.

LED's are not like traditional bulbs, in fact an LED is not a bulb at all but rather a diode.

L - Light
E - Emitting
D - Diode

If I were to look into buying anything, then I would stick with a name brand company.....Osram/Sylvania for an example.

Anything that uses a Cree LED or Nichia, Philips, and Samsung are great places to start.

Okay I will get off my soapbox now......sorry.

There are just some things that bother me, and companies jumping in with two feet on products that they themselves don't quite understand are one of them!

I personally think that LED's are great and are taking over just about every facet of our lighting world as we know it.

If you haven't embraced LED lighting yet, you should, it's coming to you faster than you realize!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:48 AM

well i got a red 13w cree led that has the like magnafine glass at the tip then some big leds on the side in with a load resistor. i got them all installed and have never had such a problem with led bulbs... it was such a battle to get them both to work accordingly. i finally put it off for another day because the sun went down. i got as far as getting them to blink and everything while my head lights are on but then the break light wouldnt work im gonna give it another go most likely tomorrow. i did kinda go overboard though and spent a little over 100 on led bulbs haha but now none of the exterior bulbs are halogen which i think looks nice imo now to just install them all