DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-19-2013, 11:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:6
TexasExpress is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TERRIBLE offroad accident!

Well here's how Saturday night went. I'm down below the dam fishing when the alarm sounds that the water level is fixing to rise. The lake was 10 feet up so periodic large releases were kind of frequent. I was parked at the waters edge so I ran to my truck, jumped in, and took off as fast as I could. Well, it wasn't fast enough. I rounded a curve almost to the ramp to higher ground when I was met with a water that splashed on the hood and stalled the motor. I tried to restart it but it wouldnt even turn over. I got out quick and ran/swam to higher ground. I watched as the water pushed my truck maybe 25 yards to the bank up against a bush. The water line was about 1/2 way up the doors. I called for help (thanks life proof case) and was able to get the truck towed out. Well my stupidity took over and I turned the key once it was out and to my surprise fired right up! Every possible light is on in the dash and 4x4 won't work. Tranny only has 4th and reverse, but it runs. Water line was up to the bottom of the dash. I have filed an insurance claim and am waiting on an estimate as soon as I get it towed. I'd like some opinions. Totaled?
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2013, 11:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Forgot to add the bumper is almost tore off from recovery, and the passenger side is scratched from being pushed into the tree but looks buffable
Old 08-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

First and foremost, glad you made it out ok. Second, if you didn't power up the truck, you could have saved the electrical by lettng everything dry out completely. But since you turned it on, it will be an electrical nightmare as one thing after another will begin to fail or will eventually fail because of the shorting out of numerous sensors and circuits. Sorry bud but it will be a tough but not impossible fight to find every last drop of water in that electrical system.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:41 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

here is hoping the ins company totals it for you.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:48 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
here is hoping the ins company totals it for you.
I second huntergreen in that hopefully they save everybody the trouble and just total it. They can always part it out and recover some money back from the undamaged hard parts.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I'm hoping for that too. The only thing that makes me thing they may not is the engine seems fine and the truck has 4k miles on it. The interior has gravel and mud everywhere!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:09 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Life is always first, property second, so glad you are safe.

You may want to put a bug in the adjuster's ear to remind him that water and electrical components don't mix. And beinst that water got in to your electrical system, it would be better for all parties if they just totaled it.

Good luck with it, Tex. Hope things work out for the good. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:24 AM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

It's going to be a salvage vehicle, it has to be totaled according to the submarine law (common sense law). May as well start looking for another vehicle of your choice with a little added cost.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:55 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Silver
Rep:32
davidgcet is on a distinguished road

glad you are safe, but yes push for them to total it if they don't do it. Because of the water being in places it should not i would think your entire warranty is now void. sure the engine seems fine, but it is so highly computerized there is no tellign what it will do as the corrosion spreads. it could be anything from not cranking at all, to redlining the throttle on next start and blowing it apart. and lord knows what other will happen to the rest of the electrical system.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Good god that could have been a total disaster. So glad you made it out and are safe. No doubt you are sad about the truck, but it can be replaced and hoping the insurance steps up properly for you.