DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
polvoson is on a distinguished road
Default Battery done at 113,000km

Hey guys
I've got 113,000km in my 2010. The battery doesn't seem to be keeping a charge as well as should be expected. If you leave the radio on for an hour or an interior light for 30-40 mins that's it. No start.
Is this about the right amount if time to expect from an OEM battery?
Any suggestions on a good replacement ?
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deepwater Blue
Rep:127
Swaggerville Ram will become famous soon enoughSwaggerville Ram will become famous soon enough

In cold weather I don't see a problem. My 09 battery is still ok at 96000kms, but I don't know if it will make it through the next cold manitoba winter.

"I don't care to hear what your ideas are, mine are better"
Old 08-11-2013, 12:05 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Battery life is rarely dependent on the mileage of the truck.

When was the battery [truck] purchased?

Four to five years is about the average battery life of the OEM kind. There are those that get well beyond that period. Personally, I've never had an OEM battery go past app. 5YRS before it starting exhibiting signs of near failure and it was ditched.

Things that shorten a vehicle battery's lifespan include - but not limited too - short trips, drainage/jump starting, insulation, terminal corrosion which limits current transfer, additional loads while not running are just some areas that dramatically shorten its life.

As for suggestions, there are many opinions and views; as for mine, check out the battery in my signature.

I was a HUGE DieHard Platinum fan for many years and over about one-half dozen cars. Just last month, I was offered a battery swap with a close friend building a 1/4 miler and wanted my battery purely based on it's grey color. It matched the "primer" look on his Chevy Nova.

I said let me try it for a couple of weeks before committing.

He gave me his brand new battery and I was sold after just a few days. We finalized the swap in less than a week after his original offer.

It cost him quite a bit more than what the DHP cost me, but I'd happily pay the money for another one now that I know its power.

Grub out!
Old 08-18-2013, 01:17 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

first have the battery checked and make sure that is the issue. i would consider myself lucky tp know i need a new battery in the summer and not stranded out in the middle of nowhere in 0 degree weather.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:50 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

I gotta go with Grub on this one. Although driving conditions do play a part in the life of an OEM battery, time is more of a factor. Some last longer, some less. If it's an 09 OEM batter, you're right in the zone where it could be the beginning of the end. Do what hunter suggested and have it tested, that's the only way to know for sure. $100 bucks for a new batter is much better than being stranded and having to shell out that same $100 bucks for a tow. Being stranded is a bitch!
Old 08-18-2013, 10:06 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
sottis is on a distinguished road

mine quit 50,000 miles - 3 years. and good luck finding a battery for your truck for $100.00 - better double that.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Flight-ER-Doc is on a distinguished road

I had good luck with an Optima battery in my last vehicle, but I purchased (the battery) in 2008. Since, I've heard that Optimas are having QA issues. I have also had Die-hards fail catastrophically (internal short), fortunately getting them replaced under warranty isn't hard.

One of the problems with modern vehicles is the absolute reliance on electrical power. I think I might give my 2010 another year on the OEM battery and then replace it on time, rather than on condition. If I had to replace it right now I probably would use an Odyssey.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:21 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight-ER-Doc View Post
I had good luck with an Optima battery in my last vehicle, but I purchased (the battery) in 2008. Since, I've heard that Optimas are having QA issues. I have also had Die-hards fail catastrophically (internal short), fortunately getting them replaced under warranty isn't hard.

One of the problems with modern vehicles is the absolute reliance on electrical power. I think I might give my 2010 another year on the OEM battery and then replace it on time, rather than on condition. If I had to replace it right now I probably would use an Odyssey.

If the Diehard's are not the Platinum Series, they are worthless IMHO. I've had the Gold in the past and have never had more than app. 2YRS [max] out of them.

I know what you mean about the Odyssey Series. I recently had the opportunity to swap my DieHard Platinum for the Odyssey in my signature and I'm real happy.

Probably will be my battery of choice from here on.

Grub out!
Old 08-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

My OEM battery lasted until June 2013
when I picked up the Ram in February 2009, the original battery had been sitting for a couple months & when I bought it, the dealership replaced it as a gesture of friendship
so I started out with a brand new one

In June of this year, I replaced it with a INTERSTATE battery, it doesn't say that on the battery, but they made it, I bought it from a Firestone Tire & Service Center

the batteries name is Mega-Tron Plus
sold by Interstate Batteries
warranty is good in North America, not just the USA
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2538
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
Battery life is rarely dependent on the mileage of the truck.

When was the battery [truck] purchased?

Four to five years is about the average battery life of the OEM kind. There are those that get well beyond that period. Personally, I've never had an OEM battery go past app. 5YRS before it starting exhibiting signs of near failure and it was ditched.

Things that shorten a vehicle battery's lifespan include - but not limited too - short trips, drainage/jump starting, insulation, terminal corrosion which limits current transfer, additional loads while not running are just some areas that dramatically shorten its life.

As for suggestions, there are many opinions and views; as for mine, check out the battery in my signature.

I was a HUGE DieHard Platinum fan for many years and over about one-half dozen cars. Just last month, I was offered a battery swap with a close friend building a 1/4 miler and wanted my battery purely based on it's grey color. It matched the "primer" look on his Chevy Nova.

I said let me try it for a couple of weeks before committing.

He gave me his brand new battery and I was sold after just a few days. We finalized the swap in less than a week after his original offer.

It cost him quite a bit more than what the DHP cost me, but I'd happily pay the money for another one now that I know its power.

Agree. Battery life is so variable for example what Grub posted here on battery life is not uncommon, but in Phoenix, AZ because of the high heat, I am lucky to see 2-years out of a standard OEM battery.