DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Dart
Rep:10
BZIMMER is on a distinguished road
Default Bad Transmission Problem

Hi, a guy at work is driving me crazy talking about how he hates his Ram and It's a piece of junk, so I have made it my mission to figure out what's wrong with his truck. I'm a long time dodge fan and I have owned about 12 mopars. Never a ram though.

The truck: 2006 Ram Quad Cab 4wd Automatic, 5.7L Hemi, Bighorn.

The problem:

Every time he is on the highway, when he hits 60mph and 2000 rpm the rear wheels lock up for a second then release. He can drive it around town all day long, and as long as he stays below 60 it's fine. Every time he hits 60 and 2000 rpm it does it, it chirps the tires and throws him forward.

He will not take it to the dealer, but took it to a local shop and they looked at it and told him they thought it was kicking down, but didn't want to work on it because they were not sure if they could fix it the first try.

Any help would be great.
Thanks
Ben
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2013, 09:27 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

He needs a new overdrive solenoid. Right at 60 is when the OD kicks in and I'm guessing that the OD solenoid is not kicking in and locking up the tranny. I'm not a tranny guy, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Sounds to me like his Solenoid Switch Valve (SSV) may be stuck. The SSV controls oil flow from the LR solenoid, routing it to the LR clutch (in 1st gear) or the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) in 2nd gear and higher. I'll bet the SSV is stuck in the LR position, so when the TCM tries to apply the TCC (at 60 mph), he instead gets the LR clutch on (which will act like a huge brake and lock up the rear wheels). This will only happen for an instant, because when the TCM sees the LR pressure switch close, it will realize the SSV is stuck, and will turn the LR solenoid back off. But then it should also set a P1776 fault code (SSV Latched in the LR Position), and should disable the TCC, so the same thing shouldn't recur until the next key start.

So see if he has a P1776 fault, or has some other fault. If he has P1776, then he may just need to drop the valve body and clean the SSV to unstick it. If he has some other fault(s), post 'em here and we'll take it from there.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:07 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Great info TE. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:26 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:221
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

I'm not 100% sure, but you should be able to pull codes threw the odometer on that truck. Turn the key off and on, without starting the truck, three times leaving it on the last time and it will flash the codes and then say done. If not autozone will pull the codes for free usually. I agree, it almost sound like the shifts are over lapping and making the wheels lock up. Depending on the rear gears, it should be shifting into OD sooner than 60, but it depends on how hard you are leaning into the gas on when that shift occurs.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Ram 1500 Club Cab 2wd
Color: Beige
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:17
Cyr220 is on a distinguished road

I'm having some trouble with my Tranny too. I have to drive it for an hour or so before it will start using lock out properly. I have heard of sensors going bad but I'm wondering what sensors could cause this.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:27 PM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyr220 View Post
I'm having some trouble with my Tranny too. I have to drive it for an hour or so before it will start using lock out properly. I have heard of sensors going bad but I'm wondering what sensors could cause this.
You should probably start a new thread in a different forum. This particular forum is for 3rd gen (2002-2008) trucks with 5.7L engine, which have a 545RFE transmission. Your truck (2000 with 5.9L engine) would be a 47RE transmission, I believe. So the info here may not apply to you.

When you do post a new thread, please clarify what you mean by "lock out." Do you mean the O/D OFF function (locking out 4th gear), or the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) engagement (typically called lockup)?
Old 08-21-2013, 09:44 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:221
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

I think the 47RE was used in 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Dart
Rep:10
BZIMMER is on a distinguished road

Thanks TransEngineer, we will check out the codes and see what he's got today.