DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Interesting snur. I was informed that it was a 15 % loss in pressure for every 90 bend. Even someone brought in a demo. It wasn't for pex but some new toilet design on making the flu s h more efficient, but I took it hy the same principle (the demo changed the water flow pattern if I recall) ill have to look back into the reduction loss at 90 bend. If what you are saying is true
Yep that's the difference between pressurized flow and non pressurized flow. The bends certainly have a large effect on flow with non pressurized systems. That's why drainage pipes have "sweeped" or gradual bends, instead of hard bends like pressurized systems have.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport 4x4 SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:26
Crobber is on a distinguished road

I agree with drainage systems. Looking for clarification. Are you stating that you will get equal loss using two 45 vs one 90 bend or you have less loss using one 90 bend.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:23 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I don't know that I know the answer to that honestly. Are you referring to pressurized or non pressurized?

I would have been able to answer that question at one time, but after school I never really use this stuff as I went into a different field so don't remember it all.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:10 PM

Pressurized.
The basic idea of pex that was taught to me is that if you can weave from point a to b with reducing the numbers of turns and reducing the degree of turns I.e. a 90 bend will become a gentle long 90 bend (by flexing the pipe) over a few feet rather than that sudden 90 bend done iver a matter of 2-3inches. You will reduce the amount of pressure lost. Thats where I got my principle behind pex its a smaller pipe size for size lets say vs pvc but has the potential of flowing the same amount of water as you are able to reduce the amount of joints used which in turn reducing the lost psi at the faucet end.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:18 PM

Dont misunderstand, if I am incorrect. I am open ears. I never really had a side by side comparison.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:49 PM

Well I personally don't know for sure but I don't believe that was the whole reasoning and benefit of PEX. I believe the benefit was just to have a truly flexible piping system. Not necessarily because it limits pressure drops from hard bends. As I said before pressurized systems have little pressure drop from hard bends, it's basically negligable. They call it a "minor" loss, as opposed to a "major" loss. If it were not pressurized then it'd be a problem.

I really think PEX was just a different sytem someone came up with to make a flexible system, and in all honesty, in the end it is just their invention to make money lol. Just like everything else. PVC was the same, it was a new invention of a system to use in lieu of copper. I'd say all three systems have benefits and drawbacks, and all will work fine overall. I tend to use whatever is coming out of the slab just for simplicity and uniformity. If I was plumbing from scratch I'd use either copper or pvc, though it'd likely be pvc as it's substantially cheaper. I'd just use copper at tubs for the strength and anywhere the pipe passed through mortar, masonry, concrete, etc (unless covered/protected) as cementitious products react poorly with copper and will degrade the pipe.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:48 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 club
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Electric Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:206
sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Well I personally don't know for sure but I don't believe that was the whole reasoning and benefit of PEX. I believe the benefit was just to have a truly flexible piping system. Not necessarily because it limits pressure drops from hard bends. As I said before pressurized systems have little pressure drop from hard bends, it's basically negligable. They call it a "minor" loss, as opposed to a "major" loss. If it were not pressurized then it'd be a problem.

I really think PEX was just a different sytem someone came up with to make a flexible system, and in all honesty, in the end it is just their invention to make money lol. Just like everything else. PVC was the same, it was a new invention of a system to use in lieu of copper. I'd say all three systems have benefits and drawbacks, and all will work fine overall. I tend to use whatever is coming out of the slab just for simplicity and uniformity. If I was plumbing from scratch I'd use either copper or pvc, though it'd likely be pvc as it's substantially cheaper. I'd just use copper at tubs for the strength and anywhere the pipe passed through mortar, masonry, concrete, etc (unless covered/protected) as cementitious products react poorly with copper and will degrade the pipe.
PEX was made to take place of copper and pvc. its cheaper and faster to install. PEX does not break if it freezes as it expands and contracts with temperature unlike copper and pvc. Copper is $20 for a 10' pipe where PEX is $25 for a 100' roll. Yes, the sharkbite fittings are more but you use less fittings since pipe is flexible, and as far as the long bends...false, PEX can be bent is a tight U shape about 6" diameter as it is used between floor joists for heating and so on.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:07 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn Edition
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:126
wolfman01 will become famous soon enoughwolfman01 will become famous soon enough

PEX was also designed to be a no-tool installation. The fittings snap into place with no soldering or gluing, and they have fittings that will also fit over copper and PVC.
1995 Tiffin Allegro Bay (46k)
1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra (97k)
Old 08-24-2013, 07:17 AM

Well I agree PEX suppliers want it to replace PVC and copper. And PVC suppliers want PVC to replace copper. And copper suppliers think plastic plumbing is ridiculous. They are just different systems with different pros/cons. I will admit I didn't think of any of the cold weather applications due to only having plumbing experience here in florida.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:27 PM

Slow and steady wins the race Got a few hours in this morning...