DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 1500
Trim Level: Limited
Color: GCM
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:17
newramkid is on a distinguished road
Default Advice from my peers....purchasing 'nerves'

So I have researched the 2013/14 1500's for quite a while now. I am pretty comfortable with my knowledge of the truck. I would easily buy sight unseen.

My problem is my knowledge of the market. The last new car I bought was in 1991.

A little background: From posts here and in the 2013 forum I have fought pretty hard with dealers to attain 3% off of invoice. Talking with dealers in and out of the state I finally found one that accepted 3% below invoice and a low dealer fee.
Most of the problem is that (I believe) they have me over a barrel because I know I will be ordering a '14 Limited with my options and color. What I want simply wasn't around for the '13s and I am ready to pull the trigger on a '14.

Fast forward to now: 1 dealer out of ~20 has accepted my terms with relatively low negotiating....cool......too easy? The dealer has fairly poor sales reviews, a couple instances of bait & switch reported on their reviews.
I have requested price matching so far from other dealers (as a backup in case the first is a bust). So far, no takers. One has gotten back to me with a refusal and the others are mum for now.

My OCD is kicking inand I am wondering 'why this was so easy'

I guess my main questions are: what do I need to watch out for on sale day? Can you good folks recommend a 'how to' study guide? I know I can simply walk away, just trying to cover my bases. 49k isn't chump change and I don't want to get ripped off too awful bad!

thanks!
J
Sponsored links
Old 08-24-2013, 09:31 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Maximum Steel
Rep:39
tev9999 is on a distinguished road

How far away is this dealer? One thing I have found is that many dealers will tell you anything by phone or e-mail just to get you in the door. They figure if you will make a 100 mile drive to get there, you will probably cave when they add on some BS fee or jack the price up.

The fact that 19 of 20 dealers rejected your terms is a red flag. When I was shopping I gave them the "3% off invoice or don't bother", I had about 15 of 40 or so dealers that were willing to play. Sales are up and inventory is down, so they don't need to give the same offers right now. Flat out rejection by 95% of the dealers tells me you are asking for too much off.

If you decide to deal. Make them give you all numbers in writing up front and make it clear you will walk if anything is off by one cent.

Arrange your own financing ahead of time and make it a cash sale as far as the dealer is concerned - that way they can't play any financing games. You can give them a chance to beat your preapproved rate, but don't let them run your credit until the day you are taking the truck home.

Personally, if I was ordering I would find a dealer I liked and maybe pay a little more. If you drop your demand to 2.5% you are probably talking about $200. It is not worth the hassle of driving across the country and dealing with a jerk salesperson to save that little amount of money.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:26 AM

Vehicle: Shopping for a 2013 Ram 1500
Rep:104
rrgmrg will become famous soon enoughrrgmrg will become famous soon enough

I was very happy with dealer invoice less holdback (3% of MSRP) and a promise of any incentives in place at time of delivery. Get it IN WRITING. In my opoinion that is about as good as you are going to do right now.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:14 AM

Vehicle: Shopping for a 2013 Ram 1500
Rep:104
rrgmrg will become famous soon enoughrrgmrg will become famous soon enough

I would also ask for someone from fleet or internet sales.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:53 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab 4WD
Color: White
Rep:24
G8toRam is on a distinguished road

Do what I did. Go for the Costco sale. Two e-mails. One phone call. One visit to the dealer. $1,300.00 below invoice on a 2014. BLAM! Done.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:51 AM

Thanks folks!
It is going to be a long ~3 months (hopefully I can order on 9/9 granite color option availability). OCD hell

The dealer is about 200 miles away. So yes, going that far to get screwed would stink. I will definitely get things in writing on the day of order and the only folks I have been dealing with have been fleet/internet sales.
I'll check into Costco. There isn't one close by but I could probably sign up online.

I am definitely thinking about sweetening the pot with my local dealer. The increased price would be worth the peace of mind.

Sorry for any typos.....sending this reply from my phones tiny keyboard.

J
Old 08-25-2013, 08:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Rep:10
pgianna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by newramkid View Post
So I have researched the 2013/14 1500's for quite a while now. I am pretty comfortable with my knowledge of the truck. I would easily buy sight unseen.

My problem is my knowledge of the market. The last new car I bought was in 1991.

A little background: From posts here and in the 2013 forum I have fought pretty hard with dealers to attain 3% off of invoice. Talking with dealers in and out of the state I finally found one that accepted 3% below invoice and a low dealer fee.
Most of the problem is that (I believe) they have me over a barrel because I know I will be ordering a '14 Limited with my options and color. What I want simply wasn't around for the '13s and I am ready to pull the trigger on a '14.

Fast forward to now: 1 dealer out of ~20 has accepted my terms with relatively low negotiating....cool......too easy? The dealer has fairly poor sales reviews, a couple instances of bait & switch reported on their reviews.
I have requested price matching so far from other dealers (as a backup in case the first is a bust). So far, no takers. One has gotten back to me with a refusal and the others are mum for now.

My OCD is kicking inand I am wondering 'why this was so easy'

I guess my main questions are: what do I need to watch out for on sale day? Can you good folks recommend a 'how to' study guide? I know I can simply walk away, just trying to cover my bases. 49k isn't chump change and I don't want to get ripped off too awful bad!

thanks!
J
You know what to do, have them email/fax you all the paperwork you need to sign. That way you have a record of it, that way you are 100% sure it's legitimate. If they have any hesitation, then you have your answer.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:42 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM & 2014 RAM (ordered)
Trim Level: Laramie Limited(s)
Rep:20
JCC11 is on a distinguished road

Newramkid, I may be going against the tide here, but, respectfully, I think you are approaching this entire deal incorrectly. It seems your focus, as it is with soooo many folks, is to search until you find dealers that will meet your crazy low price expectation. While my thought is that you should ease up on your invoice minus 3% requirement, and instead seek out (near or far, but the closer the better) the most honest, righteous, principled, upstanding, ethical dealer you can find.

You may go to a dealer many times while you own a vehicle (service, repair, maybe even car washes), but you only really need and rely on them twice. Once when you purchase, and perhaps once when the sh_t hit s the fan and there is a catastrophic problem with the truck.

If you really have read this forum then you know this happens from time to time. It just happened to me. I was sure glad I chose the right dealership, because when we discovered a paint defect that was not initially visible (along the underside edge of the hood), but could only be remedied by repainting the affected body panels, I put my foot down and said that was not an acceptable solution. The body shop said that RAM would cover it following the lengthy claim process.

Two days later the dealership called and said that this was their problem, and it will not be my problem. Come in, order a new 2014 Limited, and continue to drive the my now 2 week old 2013 Limited until it arrives. No costs to me of course. They even put $100 + worth of gas in my truck for the trouble of making two trips to the dealer (4 miles from my home).

I may not have gotten invoice minus 3%, but my deal was acceptable. But they were there when I needed them. Others have battled for months and months and months, and still have not gotten satisfaction.

Set your priorities in order. Do not pay MSRP, but give at least a little leeway to your price negotiation if you have found a conscientious dealer that will stand with you if there is a problem down the road. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by JCC11; 08-26-2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 08-25-2013, 07:12 PM

JC-

Thanks. I am looking for support from all perspectives and I appreciate your view of 'dealer trust'. This is something I will take into consideration.

FYI:the dealer that agreed to my low ball price has garbage sales review (~2/5).
Two dealers near me have almost 5/5 sales reviews by a few hundred folks, pretty damn good service reviews as well.

I am not a fan of rolling the dice.
J
Old 08-26-2013, 09:09 AM

Vehicle: 2014 ram 1500 quad slt 4x2 b/h
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:40
Yankee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by newramkid View Post
Thanks folks!
It is going to be a long ~3 months (hopefully I can order on 9/9 granite color option availability). OCD hell

The dealer is about 200 miles away. So yes, going that far to get screwed would stink. I will definitely get things in writing on the day of order and the only folks I have been dealing with have been fleet/internet sales.
I'll check into Costco. There isn't one close by but I could probably sign up online.

I am definitely thinking about sweetening the pot with my local dealer. The increased price would be worth the peace of mind.

Sorry for any typos.....sending this reply from my phones tiny keyboard.

J
Wasnt going to reply until i happened across your comment re the "local dealer"....i shopped a few, out of town, and the few hundred difference meant nothing to me...I obviously had NO intention of driving back to them for service, and they probably knew it...nevertheless, i bought local, the whole thing was actually pleasant, and even in 2013, nobody will convince me you get treated exactly the same way with somebody elses decal on yer azz end...I know know EVERYbody who is anybody in that place, BECAUSE I ordered a 14 it seems....how much is THAT worth??? granted, its a small town, but even so Im a big city transplant (refugee), I KNOW in my heart i did the right thing....