DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Black Clearcoat Monotone
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
gombater is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by astonius View Post
Wow, nice deal on getting the extras thrown in. That's around $500-600. Don't have much need for the holster kit myself, but that cargo management system looks nice.

Do you notice a big difference with the long wheelbase? I test drove a short bed but ordered the long bed. I was a bit apprehensive about it, but I liked the additional RamBox space. Parking the short bed wasn't too bad, but then again I've never owned a truck this big before.
yea, I can definitely tell a difference in the turn radius - I need to be more careful in the parking garage where I work - lots of tight turns. At home I have a turnaround in my driveway. It was easy for me to back out of the garage with a tight turn right into the turnaround with my avalanche, but with the 6' 4" Ram it's not possible without making a forward adjustment once out of the garage....

Coming from an avalanche, I am spoiled - whenever I needed to haul 4 x 8 sheets of anything or 8' or 10' studs, I just folded down the back seat, dropped the back wall and loaded it up - very easy [very sad to see that feature not coming back...]. I was concerned getting the short bed would really limit what I could easily haul, but I also needed the crew space for the kids, so I opted for the longer wheelbase.

Just make sure it fits in your garage... mine does with about 3 in to spare...
Old 08-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RAM & 2014 RAM (ordered)
Trim Level: Laramie Limited(s)
Rep:20
JCC11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gombater View Post
So far [coming from 10 years of Chevy Avalaches] I am pretty impressed with the air ride suspension - very different than my avalanche. Since I got the 6'4" bed I am still getting used to the wider turn radius. Note that I have only had the truck 2 days, but I am pretty happy so far. This weekend is when I get to really dig into things.

Didn't mention it before, but I also got thrown in for free nitrogen in the tires, a rambox holster kit, and a rambox cargo management system kit installed, looking forward to playing with them this weekend [w/pics].

Need to look into the weathertech floor mats, as while the limited mats are nice they won't hold up to a midwestern winter.... also noted the nice tire 'wet look' spray the dealer added to the tires slings real nice all over the rear quarter panels without any kind of mud guards....thinking about adding them as well...

Gombater, I'm just picking up on this thread. Congrats on the Limited! I've had my new 2013 Limited for two weeks today. I love it but there is a complicated issue (small paint problem) that has led to the dealer having me order a new 2014 Limited, and having me keep and drive this 2013 Limited until it arrives. They were great about it (it was their suggestion!). No cost to me of course.

Anyway, I am really curious about your RamBox holster kit and the Management System. Could you give a quick description and review? Thanks.

Chris

Last edited by JCC11; 08-24-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:48 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Limited 6'4"
Color: Black
Rep:30
astonius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
yea, I can definitely tell a difference in the turn radius - I need to be more careful in the parking garage where I work - lots of tight turns. At home I have a turnaround in my driveway. It was easy for me to back out of the garage with a tight turn right into the turnaround with my avalanche, but with the 6' 4" Ram it's not possible without making a forward adjustment once out of the garage....

Coming from an avalanche, I am spoiled - whenever I needed to haul 4 x 8 sheets of anything or 8' or 10' studs, I just folded down the back seat, dropped the back wall and loaded it up - very easy [very sad to see that feature not coming back...]. I was concerned getting the short bed would really limit what I could easily haul, but I also needed the crew space for the kids, so I opted for the longer wheelbase.

Just make sure it fits in your garage... mine does with about 3 in to spare...
The short bed only had about 3" total space on either side in my garage. I figured I wouldn't even try to park it in there, which is what pushed me more towards the LWB.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:05 AM

Default kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC11 View Post
Gombater, I'm just picking up on this thread. Congrats on the Limited! I've had my new 2013 Limited for two weeks today. I love it but there is a complicated issue (small paint problem) that has led to the dealer having me order a new 2014 Limited, and having me keep and drive this 2013 Limited until it arrives. They were great about it (it was their suggestion!). No cost to me of course.

Anyway, I am really curious about your RamBox holster kit and the Management System. Could you give a quick description and review? Thanks.

Chris
Hi Chris,
I'm not sure I would have purchased either one of these kits at normal retail price, but getting them as part of the deal worked for me.

Let's talk about the cargo management system first. All this system consists of are plastic plates and 2 approx glove sized cargo nets. For each side [both sides are included] there are 2 bottom plates to make a flat surface across the whole length of the rambox, 4 vertical divider panels that go into the molded in slots, and 2 small cargo nets that are mounted to the rambox door. The vertical divider panels are universal [all the same size] but the horizontal bottom plates [all 4 of them, 2 on each side] are custom shaped to fit each position, so I like that feature. On my passenger side I have added all these horizontal and vertical plates and it looks like it would keep small items from sliding around nicely.

For the driver side, I had the holder kit mounted, which is a flat plate with 2 posts mounted to it. That plate is bolted to the middle of the rambox floor where the vertical divider panels would sit. You can still use 2 of the 4 divider panels if needed, and both bottom plates work from the cargo management system. The 2 posts rotate after loosening a thumb screw; one way looks to hold 2 long guns, turn them both 90 deg and you can mount fishing rods. I plan to try both configurations today and I'll let you know how that works out. [w/pics]

I am curious about your paint issues...not being a paint expert, and hearing a lot of issues with the paint jobs, and knowing our trucks went down the same paint process line, can you describe in more detail the issue and what lead your dealer to offer the exchange? Thanks! I can see what people call 'orange peel effect' on my tailgate, but what else should I be looking for?
Old 08-25-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Hi Chris,
I'm not sure I would have purchased either one of these kits at normal retail price, but getting them as part of the deal worked for me.

Let's talk about the cargo management system first. All this system consists of are plastic plates and 2 approx glove sized cargo nets. For each side [both sides are included] there are 2 bottom plates to make a flat surface across the whole length of the rambox, 4 vertical divider panels that go into the molded in slots, and 2 small cargo nets that are mounted to the rambox door. The vertical divider panels are universal [all the same size] but the horizontal bottom plates [all 4 of them, 2 on each side] are custom shaped to fit each position, so I like that feature. On my passenger side I have added all these horizontal and vertical plates and it looks like it would keep small items from sliding around nicely.

For the driver side, I had the holder kit mounted, which is a flat plate with 2 posts mounted to it. That plate is bolted to the middle of the rambox floor where the vertical divider panels would sit. You can still use 2 of the 4 divider panels if needed, and both bottom plates work from the cargo management system. The 2 posts rotate after loosening a thumb screw; one way looks to hold 2 long guns, turn them both 90 deg and you can mount fishing rods. I plan to try both configurations today and I'll let you know how that works out. [w/pics]

I am curious about your paint issues...not being a paint expert, and hearing a lot of issues with the paint jobs, and knowing our trucks went down the same paint process line, can you describe in more detail the issue and what lead your dealer to offer the exchange? Thanks! I can see what people call 'orange peel effect' on my tailgate, but what else should I be looking for?

Great review and I just sent a PM to you.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:08 PM

Default Rambox Accessories review w/pics

Chris,
As an addition to the review above, here are a few pics of the Rambox cargo management system and the Rambox holster in use....

Comments...
I like the cargo management pieces - they do a good job of compartmentalizing the box... try to get them on a deal though, not sure they are worth full retail price.

Holster - well it works, and holds my two test shotguns very securely. I noted though that if you have a long gun with a mounted scope, it will work on the bed side of the holster, just barely.... the issue is when you bring the door down; the side to the bed has more room than the side to the exterior of the truck on the door/lid. The door would not close with the scoped gun in the exterior side mount. Now granted my scoped gun in this case had an extended stock, but I would be hesitant to put any scoped gun in the exterior slot without checking carefully. You definitely don't want the scope to be bumped or pushed on going down the road...

So if you want to use this accessory to carry two scoped long guns, I would check before you buy somehow. For non-scoped guns, no problem. Very much like similar mounts for ATV's.

Will add pics later once I figure out what a security token is....[not allowed to attach photos today...]

Last edited by gombater; 08-25-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:44 PM

Ok thanks. And I'll keep a lookout for the pics.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:41 AM

Received my first email update this morning for VOTS: Production scheduled. All the details on the status screen matched the order, thankfully.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Outdoorman
Nakawe is on a distinguished road

My dealer dipped $500 into his hold-back and gave me 2k more on my trade then anywhere else would...Guess I can't complain to much..
Old 08-27-2013, 06:45 PM

Yesterday I received a call from another dealership that I had spoken with before placing my order. He told me he went ahead and ordered the truck. I thought this strange since I never told him I agreed to buy, and we never talked price. I told him I had already ordered through another dealer. He asked me what price I got, then told me he could beat it by $300. I told him I felt bad going back on my word with the other dealer, but he reassured me since no paperwork had been filled out there was no reason to pass up on a cheaper price for the same truck. I ended up playing middle man to a bidding war for the rest of the day, but I came out on top. I switched to the other dealer at a price of $48,710; $850 less than my previous price and only $350 above employee pricing.