DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-26-2013, 07:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsmen
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:60
bradburyesqu will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by maw76 View Post
My neighbor who is my dealership director says it is a BS marketing scheme even his ram gets her oil changed every 3100 miles / 5000 km

no vehicle should have oil go 10k miles / 16k km before changing it yes synthetics still lubricate no doubt but all the additives are gone that clean.

and I have read my owners manual several times but what it boils down to is "do what you want as long as it within the parameters of chrysler"

all in if I follow the meter I end up changing my oil 4times a yr in stead of 6 a whopping 120 dollars a yr extra for 10 bucks a month I'll change my oil like I've always had and not worry about.

and there is no offensive tone in this text
When looking at something like this it's important to follow the money.

The link above is from Edmund. Edmunds makes their money by being a consumer focused organization. If they lose their reputation for looking out for what is best for the consumer then they go out of business.

You're neighbor makes his money off of the oil changes. That extra $120 a year is a lot of money when you factor it in all the cars the service.

The bottom line is I don't know the guy who wrote the article or your neighbor. But one stands to profit from a lie the other has nothing to gain from a lie. I'll take the latter.

Likewise there is no offensive tone in my response, I'm just pointing out that everyone has their motives.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:27 PM

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: White
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixtime View Post
Wow, I was a 3-4K miles change the oil type guy in my '04 Ram. This is just killing me... maybe some kind of OCD thing or something. I pulled a trailer from PA to Florida a couple of weeks ago and thought for sure it would need an oil change when I got down here. Oh well, guess I'll go alphabetize my tools in the garage or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidefan15 View Post
Changed mine at 6,000 miles and will continue to do so. I just can't see waiting until 8,000 miles.
Quote:
imo no vehicle should go past 6K miles it just isn't right I change mine every 3100 miles regardless of computer or color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradburyesqu View Post

The link above is from Edmund. Edmunds makes their money by being a consumer focused organization. If they lose their reputation for looking out for what is best for the consumer then they go out of business.

You're neighbor makes his money off of the oil changes. That extra $120 a year is a lot of money when you factor it in all the cars the service.

The bottom line is I don't know the guy who wrote the article or your neighbor. But one stands to profit from a lie the other has nothing to gain from a lie. I'll take the latter.

Likewise there is no offensive tone in my response, I'm just pointing out that everyone has their motives.
Looks like someone already beat me to it.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop...-your-oil.html

For those that still believe in old school OCI's. I suggest you go to bobistheoilguy.com (bitog.com) and see for yourself what mileage peeps are getting out of their oil.

True story, back in 1997, (over 15yrs ago) I was using Kendal Elite synthetic in my Sierra, and through their oil analysis program, I was going 12,000 km's between oil changes.

2 things to keep in mind, oil and motors have come a long ways since then, and secondly, if Kendal was in the market to make money rather than selling a quality oil, then they would have told me to change it a lot sooner.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:48 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram RT
Trim Level: RT
Color: Steel Blue Metallic
Rep:136
ValleyRacer will become famous soon enoughValleyRacer will become famous soon enough
Default Then change your oil

Quote:
I have a new '13 Ram with 5900 miles on it, and the Engine Oil gauge says I still have 40% life left. Is that possible?? Seems way wrong to me. I got it with a little over 100 miles on it and have never reset it myself.

AuotZone, Kragen and Wal-Mart all have a 10/30 synthetic motor oil (which I suspect to be the same for several reasons).

Don't fret over the $20. Change your oil if think the oil has been in too long.

For example, this month, AutoZone has a $22 synthetic oil/filter (house brand) special.

Quit torturing your self. Go change it.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:51 PM

ValleyRacer will become famous soon enoughValleyRacer will become famous soon enough
Default Cheap oil and cheap FRAM Filters

Quote:
Wow, I was a 3-4K miles change the oil type guy in my '04 Ram. This is just killing me... maybe some kind of OCD thing or something. I pulled a trailer from PA to Florida a couple of weeks ago and thought for sure it would need an oil change when I got down here. Oh well, guess I'll go alphabetize my tools in the garage or something.
One reason, not your fault, that oil is BLACK, thin and looks like old coffee is because of cheap worthless ORANGE Fram filters.

People who select this filter generally are concerned about their motor oil at the 3K point.

Looks like liquid tar due to worthless filtration.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:53 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 QC
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Rep:49
maw76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I agree everyone has their motives but even with my 07 rubicon I found that once I exceeded 4k miles the oil would start to disappear my engine was eating it not burning in the cylinders but enough to put a qt every 1k miles and that was with syn mobil1 mind you that engine had to work with all the rubber and 3 k lbs off bumpers. And now that I'm pulling 3k lbs at least 400 miles a week I personally would like to keep it fresh seeing that she's got to last me at least 8 yrs
Old 08-26-2013, 11:54 PM

Default A little news for ya!

Quote:
imo no vehicle should go past 6K miles it just isn't right I change mine every 3100 miles regardless of computer or color.

LIttle Dodge NEON engine, synthetic oil changes every 8K miles - original engine.

Where did you come up with the magic number of 6k? And what data do you support that 6K number with?

Old 08-26-2013, 11:59 PM

Default Favorable filter results

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow 1994 View Post
I plan on going somewhere between 8,000-10,000 miles between oil changes for my truck. I'm using Pennzoil Platinum oil with a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter.
I'm ginny (well guinea) pigging that Fram Ultra Synthetic filter on both my cars right now.

So far I must state that I am impressed with the filtration and oil staying the right color.

Just drained the SRT4, the NEON has 2500-ish miles to go. So far so good to be sure.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:01 AM

Default How unimaginably MISERLY

Quote:
My dealership through in free oil changes for 2 years or 30,000 miles. Since I'm not going to be anywhere close to 30,000 miles in 2 years I'm going get it changed every 2500 - 3000 miles if I can get them to do it. I want to get my monies worth out of them.

What a waste of motor oil if they allow you to have that drain interval.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:05 AM

Default Have you tried AMSOIL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumcrazy73 View Post
sorry but if you go 25k between oil changes Amsoil, royal purple, mobil 1 or what ever brand, and you get engine failure, at anything less then alot of miles you asked for it, but that is my opinion.
PlumCrazy before you enjoy condemning people - try AMSOIL oil/filter once or twice.

The oil is so far more robust and stout than the thin little pittle stuff in the typical experience - you'll change your tune if you try it.

The filters are HEAVY and effective. They keep the oil CLEAN,.

Do you think the MILLIONS of people that use AMSOIL are idiots?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:32 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:47
TriSum is on a distinguished road

All of this has been proven over and over, oil does not need to be changed as often as people use to change it. Engines run cleaner, oil and filters are made with better ingredients and internals.

Unless you are running your engine under extreme conditions, not stop and go traffic, but maybe the Baja 500, the oil lasts longer. PERIOD !! It doesn't matter what the guy at the dealership says, or the guy at the auto parts, or your grandpa, it has been tested and analyzed that oil lasts longer in today's engines.

How often do you think they change the oil in over-the-road semi trucks? Do you think you work your engine harder than they do?

It is just not needed these days, it's a waste of oil.

But of course it is your truck and your money, do with it what you will.

David