DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > HI-TECH Discussion

Notices

HI-TECH Discussion Web, computers, software, GPS, satellite TV, home stereos and other non-vehicle hi tech electronics.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of
Default Windows 8

Windows 8 Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Purchased a new laptop that we're gonna give to my son for X-mas. Yeah I know I'm actually planning ahead for a change. It's got Windows 8.

I never realized just how badly they could screw up windows. Windows 7 works just fine, and I'm not sure why they had to unimprove it.

I'm just glad that I won't have to use the damn thing every day. I'm sure that he'll be trilled, right up to the point where I take it away from him nightly to prevent him from doing stupid stuff (he's 13).

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2013, 10:09 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

I purchased my wife a new laptop [HERE] this past April and she absolutely hated it initially.

Now that she knows how to use it, she loves it.

W8 takes a little playing around but once you get use to it, it really is pretty cool and works well.

Grub out!
Old 08-17-2013, 12:54 PM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I'm glad to hear that one can get used to W8, because the little bit that I've played with it I was having a very hard time.

It was like it acted and behaved like a very bad tablet, and I wasn't sure how to do much of anything. It's so much different than W7, which I've come to think of as a pretty good OS, and I've come to expect and understand most of it's quirks.

Most of what I'll be doing on W8, at least until I'm forced to buy a PC for myself that has it installed is check up on the kid, and make sure that he's not doing any stupid stuff. He's prone to doing stuff on the computer if he thinks that he can get away with it. If I'm able to go in and see what he's been doing, I'll feel that much better.

I'll most likely have to install some sort of spy program that at the least tracks where he's been and what he's been doing. He's smart enough to make an attempt to cover his tracks, though fortunately so far he hasn't figured out most of what he needs to do to be successful.

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 08-27-2013, 12:19 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Color: Sagebrush Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Nauvoo is on a distinguished road

We're right there with ya. Its been a real pain trying to navigate W8. I hope that we figure it out because its alot of frustration around here right now while using tha laptop.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

a kid showed me how to set a spy thingy up
if they know how to do that, they can figure out your password & get around anything that you set up
i kept mine simple, my Password is just that
password, all in lower case
they will go bananas trying to figure it out
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 08-27-2013, 12:36 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:26
toober is on a distinguished road

I switched to a chromebook and a cloud printer. Now when I open it up, it's ready to go, everytime, no waiting, no bloatware, nothing to install, it updates itself. Unless you need to install and use other software for specific purposes, a browser is all you need. It does have some download storage for usb drive manipulation of files, mp3s, pdfs, pics. It has wasted so much less of my time than windows ever has. At this point (after 2 months), I don't intend to go back.

Just note that if you don't get a cloud-ready printer, you will need your old computer logged in to link your printer to the cloud so you can print from your chromebook.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Larime Limited 4X4
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:50
MTPete will become famous soon enough
Default Windows 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauvoo View Post
We're right there with ya. Its been a real pain trying to navigate W8. I hope that we figure it out because its alot of frustration around here right now while using tha laptop.
I have been a computer consultant for many years and I have heard all the complaints about new Windows systems: "Windows 95 is great but Windows 2000 is crap", "XP is great but Vista is crap", "Windows 7 is great but Windows 8 is crap", etc. The truth is that since Windows 2000 each subsequent release is built on all the prior releases. Sure they mess around with the interface frequently but each subsequent release has more features, better security, and supports additional hardware and devices. Don't like Windows 8? Boot up, click on the desktop tile on the start screen and you are back to Windows 7 without a start button. Learn to use the shortcut keys, pin your most frequently used programs to the taskbar and you are in business. Win+X gives you access to all the utilities and it can be customized. My wife has had every release since Windows 2000 and she can't tell the difference after I configure it. Finally 8.1 will make it better for established users. Yes I know they do some stupid things, but the alternative is to by an Apple for twice the price and lose the ability to run about 90% of the available application software.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

First thing i did after finding the Power button, was get rid of BING
Google beats the heck out of Bing, which is 2nd worse only to Yelp

I use to use a great search engine, it had 37 different search engines on one site
http://37.com/
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle