DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Clarkgriswald is on a distinguished road
Default 93 Octane

I put a tank in because it was a good deal at Costco. My mileage dropped over 2 mpg. Can't wait to go back to midgrade (89). I called the dealership to ask if it was okay and they wouldn't recommend putting in 93 because the motor is not designed to burn that hot of gas. Now I know.
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2013, 01:05 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500, CC/6'4", Hemi/8 spd
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:352
DAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really niceDAA is just really nice

Higher octane is not "hotter" gas. Quite the opposite, actually. Not that it really matters.

All that really matters, is that the octane requirement of the motor is being met. If it isn't knocking or pinging, it's fine. Increasing octane beyond what the motor requires has no benefit.

At the elevation I live and recreate, I expect a new Hemi to thrive on 85 octane. Won't even try 87 unless the motor tells me it isn't happy with the 85. I can't forsee even the possibility of the Hemi needing 89, at this elevation.

- DAA
Old 08-27-2013, 01:22 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:21
count2 is on a distinguished road

I've been curious about using 85 - I also live at a higher elevation where our base octane is 85. The V6 fuel requirements say 87 and I've been wondering if I would need to put in mid-grade or if the 85 would work.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:23 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 RCSB
Color: Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:69
USAF Long will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to USAF Long

I can't even get 85 octane here. Might be moving to Utah soon though. My truck is running a stock tune still so if the thinner mountain air works ok with 85 octane I suppose that's what I will fill it with if its available in Salt Lake City.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:00 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, as the others have said 93 octane will do absolutely nothing for you. It may seem like buying higher octane “premium” gas is like giving your car a treat, or boosting its performance. But take note: the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage, or run cleaner. Your best bet: listen to your owner's manual.
The only time you might need to switch to a higher octane level is if your car engine knocks when you use the recommended fuel. This happens to a small percentage of vehicles. Oh and it wont hurt your engine, nor your millage, you probably ran against a few head winds then your last tank or stepped on the gas a bit harder or ran into more red lights than usual, or traffic, Temperature change, age of gas and so on, all these things can determine what your truck average economy will be.