DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Volks GTI
Color: Blue
Rep:10
RamItNow is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Car & Driver Ram vs Ford vs Chevy

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...=1458_21312241

Must have been paid off by Chevy to get their 14's selling
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2013, 02:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Limited 6'4"
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:30
astonius is on a distinguished road

These comparison tests are always completely subjective. Just look at how arbitrary some of the numbers are in the ratings: features/amenities: Chevy and Ford: 10, Ram: 9. Are you kidding me? Ram has a much better feature set than Ford and is at the very least on par with new Chevy. I also find it funny they gave the handling advantage to the Chevy. Leaf springs > coils/air suspension, really?

I continuously get the impression that these reviews are inherently designed to favor the most recently overhauled truck. I drove the new Silverado LTZ Z71, and while it was a massive improvement to the old truck and bested the now-dated Ford, it wasn't as nice a truck as the Ram, plain and simple.

Last edited by astonius; 08-29-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:51 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: SLT, Big Horn
Color: Black Pearl coat
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:229
Ramzaq has a spectacular aura aboutRamzaq has a spectacular aura aboutRamzaq has a spectacular aura about

Just look at how the article started, talking about swine, pigs, wild boar. Then look at the Ram description and notice how many snide underhanded references they compare to pigs

Come on!
Old 08-29-2013, 06:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:42
AppFan is on a distinguished road

When our favored car wins the writers are all geniuses who know their stuff. When anyone else wins they are obvious hacks who either don't know anything or were paid off.
All that being said I drove them all and personally would not change my choice.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:20 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Ram CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:117
KJ48 will become famous soon enoughKJ48 will become famous soon enough

They ALL advertise in those magazines and they ALL 'win' every once in a while. The big three pickups are all priced close and they all watch each other like a hawk to make sure their features are similar model to model. Its always an amusing read but I never base my choice of a new car/truck on what they write.

Be glad to have a choice, some people wouild rather all of us drive the same little junk 30 horsepower cars that some government sponsored manufacture churns out
Old 08-29-2013, 10:53 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn 4x4
Color: White
Rep:70
edge35 will become famous soon enough

I have mixed feelings. On one hand, it does appear the Ram should come in last place if we take it on faith that their numbers are correct. Last place: 0-60, 1/4 mile, braking, slalom, GVWR, and towing? That's pretty sad for the vehicle with the most horsepower, second most torque, and (by far) highest price. Sure, it was hampered a bit by the 3.21 gearing but that isn't just too far off from the Ford's 3.31's or the Chevy's 3.42's...especially when one considers that the Ram should have the most advanced transmission of the group.

On the other hand, though, the review is totally tainted in my mind because if the Ram hadn't been dinged two points on price then it would have beaten the F150. Did the geniuses ever think to compare equal trim levels? Had they gotten the King Ranch F150 (equivalent to the Laramie Longhorn) the price difference would have vanished. The least they could have done was mentioned that the Ram cost more because it had features the others lacked and let readers know how much it would have cost if it was comparably equipped. Heck, the air suspension and Rambox (did they even mention that?) adds about $2,900 to the sticker. Funny they also don't really talk about interior quality, either.

So performance wise then yeah, the Ram does seem to be a pig. But their subjective ratings seem to be skewed since they don't say how they arrived at the conclusion that the F150 has more interior features/amenities and for the price they aren't comparing apples to apples.

Just another day in the life of automotive comparisons.
6 speed (although the 65RFE is really a 5 speed), 3.55, air suspension, anti-spin, 20" Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires (aka crap), sunroof, Bakflip Fibermax & BakBox, bed extender, 8.4AN, black/cattle tan interior
Old 08-29-2013, 11:09 AM

Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
bam2880 is on a distinguished road

I still dont believe that it was slower than the new chevy i have drove both and the new chevy didnt compare to the hemi with the 8 speed. This is why i bought a hemi with the 8 speed and havent looked back.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:10 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsmen
Color: Maximum Steel
Rep:60
bradburyesqu will become famous soon enough

I like reading these articles and I'm normally a Car and Driver fan but this article has some clear problems.

First off the Ram was more because they tested the top Ram trim level. The top trim level for Ford is the King Rancher and the top trim level for GMC is the Sierra Denali. They mention the refinements of the top trim levels and consider them in their grading but don't compare price. I have been reasearching trucks for the last 3 months. A comparably equipped GMC is about $8,000 more then the RM and comparably equipped Ford is about $12,000 more. At least around here. (that is before and after using truecar)

The other thing that I find interesting is that they mention that Ram was the top truck last year. Beating out the 2013 F-150. However this year the same two trucks, the F-150 is a point better.

It is true that the other two trucks have more hauling and towing capacity. That is the one legitimate knock on the Ram. But it has nothing to do with the engine and everything to do with leaf springs. They hold more weight the coils plane and simple.

I chose the Ram for 3 reasons. First price. for a good comparison the Chevy hear is fairly comparable to an outdoors men and the Ford here is most comparable to a long horn. Second the 8 speed transmission makes a huge difference in the availability of power when you want it. Third the ride. If I was going to get a hauling machine I would have gotten on older truck and paid cash. Then I would have just used it to haul. If I got a new truck it was going to haul and be a daily driver. Every 1/4 ton on the market would tow what I wanted so I chose the one that was the best daily driver. It was the Ram by far.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:16 AM

Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
bam2880 is on a distinguished road

why dont they ever bring up that the ram runs a true 33 inch tire from the factory? like i said i have drove both and the ram is clearly a faster truck and the new chevy and gmc
Old 08-29-2013, 12:10 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn CC
Trim Level: Big Horn CC
Color: black
Rep:11
BigDRammer is on a distinguished road

They can rate the Chevy better all they want but it doesn't change the fact that it is butt ugly. The new Silverado is just plain hideous looking. The GMC is a little better looking from the front but the big square fenders make it look old. I think they are the ugliest truck on the market.