DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500HD
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:563
Iqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradburyesqu View Post
I like reading these articles and I'm normally a Car and Driver fan but this article has some clear problems.

First off the Ram was more because they tested the top Ram trim level. The top trim level for Ford is the King Rancher and the top trim level for GMC is the Sierra Denali. They mention the refinements of the top trim levels and consider them in their grading but don't compare price. I have been reasearching trucks for the last 3 months. A comparably equipped GMC is about $8,000 more then the RM and comparably equipped Ford is about $12,000 more. At least around here. (that is before and after using truecar)

The other thing that I find interesting is that they mention that Ram was the top truck last year. Beating out the 2013 F-150. However this year the same two trucks, the F-150 is a point better.

It is true that the other two trucks have more hauling and towing capacity. That is the one legitimate knock on the Ram. But it has nothing to do with the engine and everything to do with leaf springs. They hold more weight the coils plane and simple.

I chose the Ram for 3 reasons. First price. for a good comparison the Chevy hear is fairly comparable to an outdoors men and the Ford here is most comparable to a long horn. Second the 8 speed transmission makes a huge difference in the availability of power when you want it. Third the ride. If I was going to get a hauling machine I would have gotten on older truck and paid cash. Then I would have just used it to haul. If I got a new truck it was going to haul and be a daily driver. Every 1/4 ton on the market would tow what I wanted so I chose the one that was the best daily driver. It was the Ram by far.
I'm with him "WELL SAID"
They don't have the balls to compare apples to apples......

To many mods to list ask and I shall give you all the information, and help I can.
Everything from outside to interior.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:474
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

The video shows the Ram as slower, I bet it had a 6 speed and 3.21. 8 speed and/or different diff gearing and it'd been different.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:02 PM

Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
bam2880 is on a distinguished road

I don't believe it had the 8 speed either. I know for a fact that the hemi is faster than the chevy.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:17 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Limited 6'4"
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:30
astonius is on a distinguished road

Photos of the truck show the 8-speed knob, and all throughout the review they mention how "busy" the 8-speed felt, which is in direct contrast to almost every other review out there.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:38 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:474
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah that's BS. My 8 speed doesn't hunt at all even when towing/hauling.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Sport CC, 5.7L, 8spd
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Rep:71
bowieknife will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to bowieknife

I can also chime in. 8 spd is smooth as silk. I also drove the 2014 Sierra 1500 3 weeks ago (same day as I test drove my Ram). It's a dog off the line. Very noticeable lag (almost like an old turbo) before the engine transfers power....seemed like a full 1 second from when I pressed the accelerator till the truck started moving. Then it seems like it lurched forward too much. Either way, it was no where near as fast as the 8 speed hemi with the 3.92's. Not even close.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:37 PM

Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
bam2880 is on a distinguished road

Exactly what I'm saying. My 8 speed hemi is the smoothest truck I have ever drove and I even have 3.21 gears. I drove both as well and my hemi with 8 speed and 3.21 gears is still faster than the new gms.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:38 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:58
Spike will become famous soon enough

I can't agree with many of their findings which helps me to relaize how subjective these tests are. I am damn picky when it comes to vehicles.

This is my real world experience that involves living with a truck, not racing it. I had intended on buying a Ford 150 and then perhaps look at the RAM and the Chevy. I have two coworkers who have the following trucks and I have driven them both. Both are 4 door, both are 4wd, both are 2012, one is a chevy and the other a ford. Both have a v8 with mid level trim.

I drove both and thought I liked the ford better because it was more responsive but it annoyed me that it takes 500 turns of the electronic steering to park it and it seems to lumber on rough roads. I was dissapointed in the ride of the chevy because I felt like it drove just like trucks drove 10 years ago and the interior was so cheap feeling. At that point, I had not considered the RAM and was trying to decide if I was even going to buy a new truck or wait for these companies to update their vehicles. I wasn't going to drop $30k - $40k on eithe of them.

Then, for the hell of it, I dropped by my local RAM dealer and jumped into a crew cab, 4wd, hemi, 8 speed with a few goodies (no leather or the top of the line gagets). I was so impressed with the way it drove and the features it had that in my mind, it felt as if the truck was 5 years ahead in technology, features and overall driveability.

I ended up buying one (see signature below) but then I started to wonder if I got caught up in it and if I made the right call. So, I had those same guys ride with me in my RAM to lunch and they were both saying things like "whoh, that's cool", "this is great", and "mine doesn't have that" and "you only paid what for this?". I then asked to ride in their trucks over the next few weeks and I was thinking, "Uhhh, yeah, I made the right call. These trucks don't hold a candle to mine."

So, from a non biased manufacturer guy, the choice was night and day for me.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:44 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Limited 6'4"
Rep:30
astonius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I can't agree with many of their findings which helps me to relaize how subjective these tests are. I am damn picky when it comes to vehicles.

This is my real world experience that involves living with a truck, not racing it. I had intended on buying a Ford 150 and then perhaps look at the RAM and the Chevy. I have two coworkers who have the following trucks and I have driven them both. Both are 4 door, both are 4wd, both are 2012, one is a chevy and the other a ford. Both have a v8 with mid level trim.

I drove both and thought I liked the ford better because it was more responsive but it annoyed me that it takes 500 turns of the electronic steering to park it and it seems to lumber on rough roads. I was dissapointed in the ride of the chevy because I felt like it drove just like trucks drove 10 years ago and the interior was so cheap feeling. At that point, I had not considered the RAM and was trying to decide if I was even going to buy a new truck or wait for these companies to update their vehicles. I wasn't going to drop $30k - $40k on eithe of them.

Then, for the hell of it, I dropped by my local RAM dealer and jumped into a crew cab, 4wd, hemi, 8 speed with a few goodies (no leather or the top of the line gagets). I was so impressed with the way it drove and the features it had that in my mind, it felt as if the truck was 5 years ahead in technology, features and overall driveability.

I ended up buying one (see signature below) but then I started to wonder if I got caught up in it and if I made the right call. So, I had those same guys ride with me in my RAM to lunch and they were both saying things like "whoh, that's cool", "this is great", and "mine doesn't have that" and "you only paid what for this?". I then asked to ride in their trucks over the next few weeks and I was thinking, "Uhhh, yeah, I made the right call. These trucks don't hold a candle to mine."

So, from a non biased manufacturer guy, the choice was night and day for me.
I had a similar experience. Ever since test driving a Platinum 2012 F-150 with the EcoBoost I was dead set on buying that truck. When the 2013s came out with MyFord Touch, HID projectors, and the new grilles I was even more sold. The 2014 Chevys looked intriguing, so I told myself I would at least test drive one just to write it off. Ram never once came into my mind. I had heard too many Ram owners get ribbings from their Ford and Chevy friends. Well, it came time to finally buy. I test drove the Ford once again and loved it, thought it was everything I wanted. Then I read about Ram being the "MotorTrend 2013 Truck of the Year". I thought back to a couple of years ago when, just for fun, I test drove a 2012 Dodge Charger. Remembering how nice the ride and interior of that car was I thought to myself "Chrysler has made some serious strides in the past three years. Couldn't hurt to test drive a new Ram." I was not a fan of the exterior at all, but I hopped in the 2013 Laramie cabin and was blown away. The layout, quality of materials, and feature set were worlds above the Ford I had my heart set on. Then I drove it. The 8-speed shifts were buttery smooth. The power was smooth; not as fast off the line as the EcoBoost, but adequate. The touchscreen was much more responsive. The EVIC looked much better and had so many more features than the instrument cluster in the Ford. I was completely swayed. This was the definition of a luxury truck, which was exactly what I was looking for. I decided I would also drive the 2014 Silverado LTZ Z71 just to make sure I wasn't making the same judgments I had made previously about the Ram. The Chevy was a massive improvement over its predecessor, and even surpassed the Ford, but it still wasn't on par with the Ram, which is why I ended up ordering a 2014 Limited. Friends are giving me lots of flack over it, but they're the ones who wrote Ram off years ago and haven't even looked at the current model years as objectively as I have.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:02 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
The video shows the Ram as slower, I bet it had a 6 speed and 3.21. 8 speed and/or different diff gearing and it'd been different.
No, they tested the 8-speed.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...specs-page-5-1

Grub out!