DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:353
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

I refuse to follow any advice regarding detailing my truck, inside or outside , that does not mention anything about a COOL BEVERAGE!!!

Jay

Just kidding--excellent information--as usual.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:20 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Thanks Primo!

What do you think of opti seal?

I wash my truck maybe 3 times a year, with dawn when I'm going to apply the sealer. I use a cheap car wash soap from walmart when not applying sealer. I don't do any of the other steps. Do you think this is providing decent protection? Mainly from the sun?

Thanks. All I really care about is protection, UV protection mainly.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:901
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
I did enjoy it, although the leaf blower suggestion won't work for me because my leaf blower won't blow a dandelion apart Another story.
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
I refuse to follow any advice regarding detailing my truck, inside or outside , that does not mention anything about a COOL BEVERAGE!!!

Jay

Just kidding--excellent information--as usual.
well usually i do have picutres to accomodate what i write up...and there are always empty beers laying around!!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Thanks Primo!

What do you think of opti seal?

I wash my truck maybe 3 times a year, with dawn when I'm going to apply the sealer. I use a cheap car wash soap from walmart when not applying sealer. I don't do any of the other steps. Do you think this is providing decent protection? Mainly from the sun?

Thanks. All I really care about is protection, UV protection mainly.
Opti seal is a great product and is very easy to use....Also any optimum product will give you great UV protection. you will see similar duarability and protection out of optimum car wax which is a real nice spray wax.

honestly though, if uv protection and low maintenence is your goal, cquartz or opti coat are great options...and more permanent.
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!
Old 08-29-2013, 07:56 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

They have to be machine applied though, correct?

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
They have to be machine applied though, correct?
no..totally opposite. apply by hand..

the machine part is to ensure the best possible polishing stage prior to application.

if your working by hand though for all steps 9polishing) then def stick to what works great, and that is opti seal or optimum car wax.

i also like aquawax, and menzerna powerlock for sealants...both again hand application, and because they are not "permanenet" types of products, the picture perfect finsihing stage is not as important as with the cqaurtz or opti coat.
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

Old 08-29-2013, 09:27 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Most Excellent write up, Primo. Reps for outstanding advise you provide to us amateur car washers.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:42 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 SLT Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black Gold
Rep:177
Whiplash has a spectacular aura aboutWhiplash has a spectacular aura about

what are your waxing thought primo, on horizontal surfaces front to back and vertical surfaces top to bottom?? i'm sure you've tried a 1000 or so application methods, and if you've tried it have you noticed better light refraction?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:44 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 SLT Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black Gold
Rep:177
Whiplash has a spectacular aura aboutWhiplash has a spectacular aura about

by the way, package arrived in less than 24 hours!!!! sweet, thanx again!!!
Old 08-30-2013, 06:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRamJet View Post
Most Excellent write up, Primo. Reps for outstanding advise you provide to us amateur car washers.
thanks! i just hope they help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
what are your waxing thought primo, on horizontal surfaces front to back and vertical surfaces top to bottom?? i'm sure you've tried a 1000 or so application methods, and if you've tried it have you noticed better light refraction?
I honestly dont use wax that often because of the great selection of sealants and coatings available nowadays. when i did use waxes though, i always applied them with the DA polisher. i found i was able to lay down a nice even thin coat that way.

but the straight line application method that you are describing is actually a preferred method for application (i I use it with sealants and coatings that i apply by hand). the "theory" is that if you were to instill and scratches or marring during the application process, that they would be less noticable because they were in a straight line, instead of circular pattern (or swirls).

Im not sure that either application method has less chance of instilling scratches over the other. in my opinion, if the product you are applying is non-abrasive, the car is clean, and the medium you are using to apply the wax/sealant is soft and non marring, then you should achieve the same results using either method.

Quote:
by the way, package arrived in less than 24 hours!!!! sweet, thanx again!!!
glad to hear! let me know if you have any questions.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:17 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
There is no difference in direction, but there could be a difference in overlapping, pressure, and products used.

Permanent coatings obviously take more time and thought, but even semi permanent coatings and sealants can create high spots. Directions generally include straight line passes in one direction, followed by perpendicular passes to create a hatched effect which ensures even coverage. Some waxes and sealants suggest a second coat to provide even coverage, whereas others discourage it because the solvents used in waxes/sealants can strip the previous coat, or conversely, create high spots.

Straight line does allow for better paint correction in the event that you do have debris caught under your applicator and induce marring.