DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-11-2013, 03:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 club
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Electric Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:210
sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about

oh, forgot to mention, he is only putting 3 screws in each stud for a full sheet ( the studs are 20" centers ) and I specifically told him 5 or 6 per stud. so I was adding the extras later that night so the drywall didn't fall off the ceilings, gonna remove the sheets and start over. Besides this small bedroom should have been done after 9 hours and its less than half. I shouldn't have paid him but felt sorry for him as he just had a new baby and out of work. But like I told my wife I cant waste time baby sitting him I need someone who knows how to drywall, so I basically have to kill myself and do it myself and suffer the pain later.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:39 AM

sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about

Ok, been hell to find anyone to hang my lids. Bit the bullet today and rented a jack for the day $30.
Still slow as a snail by myself and Im hurting like a MoFo, Eating pain meds like candy if I don't OD... this week is not going to be any fun after todays efforts. I did manage to get living and kitchen done, next is to get the 3 bedrooms done.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:39 AM

Old 08-26-2013, 09:41 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler
Trim Level: Sahara
Color: Steel Blue
Rep:106
spp will become famous soon enoughspp will become famous soon enough

Awesome project.

I wish I found this thread last week so what I am about to tell you isn't as painful as it is going to be....

Those seams in the ceiling need to be staggered. You don't want a 4 corner situation as that will be a large source of cracking in the near future. You want a screws spaced every 12" roughly but that spacing is local code dependent I've found (Cali wants them closer together due to Earthquakes). This is my "go to reference" every time I do a drywall job which is few and far between thankfully....
Old 08-27-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spp View Post
Awesome project.

I wish I found this thread last week so what I am about to tell you isn't as painful as it is going to be....

Those seams in the ceiling need to be staggered. You don't want a 4 corner situation as that will be a large source of cracking in the near future. You want a screws spaced every 12" roughly but that spacing is local code dependent I've found (Cali wants them closer together due to Earthquakes). This is my "go to reference" every time I do a drywall job which is few and far between thankfully....
Yes, I understand. Just this damn house is so awkwards, 18", 20", 24" centers, nothing is square... its just crazy. I got the kitchen off set/staggered as it was uniform, but the living room, the joists were so far apart ( it looked like more/closer ) but those are 1x's and they are not as wide as the joists ( a good 1" or so too shallow ) so I decided, it was easier and faster to do it this way and later I am going to install fake wood beams for support as well as decorative western looks.
I am ahead on the screws, it calls for 1-12 which is 4 screws across the sheet, I am actually putting 5 across for added support. I appreciate your eye on the matter, sometimes I overlook things, but this was actually best or there would have been a lot of waste in drywall which I cant afford at this time. I thought to screw up some 2x4x16 ( room is 33' long ) to make a solid mounting surface for the drywall but that would have taken too long as well as more money I don't have. I can always redo this down the road after I move in. But I think it is pretty tight as there are additional screws where needed for some stress points. Time will tell. At least its just the one room, all the other rooms seem to be uniform.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:58 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Jeep Wrangler
Trim Level: Sahara
Color: Steel Blue
Rep:106
spp will become famous soon enoughspp will become famous soon enough

Ouch. Older houses suck. Your plan should work well and look awesome. I look,forward to seeing the rest!
Old 08-29-2013, 04:57 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Oh don't forget, make sure any electrical work you decide to do yourself just meets up with the NEC handbook, you can download the NEC codes online.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

It is sure looking better & better
That cellar had me wondering, with all of the huge rocks, etc.
I read where you said that at least for now, the sink will be in the island. One advantage of that is there won't be plumbing that can freeze up along the outside wall. That was an issue that we had after building the Family house in Connecticut, we had to use the pipe insulation tubes & some wrap around that too.

Sorry that i couldn't stop by this last weekend, trucking companies & brokers were calling me to get on home & get back to work. Seems to happen every year, i take a vacation & business picks up & all of them are willing to pay extra to get the loads delivered on time.
I drove 6,800+ miles on my vacation, just got the Ram serviced
they again had to replace the Pinion Seal, ( 2 seals in 7 weeks )
the Ram will be ready to work tomorrow morning, now i just have to get back into the work frame of mind.
I fell off of a step ladder when i was re-doing my Sisters storage shed, i have been consuming ALEVE like it was candy, pain is almost gone. Good thing i was able to grab onto the overhead 2x4s that i had just installed, & then ungracefully drop to the floor

Take care my friend
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 08-29-2013, 06:53 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Little bit here, little bit there. It's coming along, Mike. Hanging rock is hard work, it was my very first job as a teenager and I thought it liked to have killed me. Earned a descent wage and learn a valuable skill though. Keep it up, bud, it's lookin' good.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:21 AM

Thanks guys for all the support. I went tonight to get the rest of the copper, Im gonna take a short break from drywalling and finish hooking up the plumbing in the basement. Connecting to the main, running to the water heater (yet to get) and branch to the copper to the second floor as well as run my new lines to the kitchen and the outside spigot.
Going to go all electric for the time being and update to gas later down the road. Since I will have wood burners, the electric furnace shouldn't kick on much anyways.
All electric has been upgraded, it is better than what was there. I replaced all 14-2 with 12-2 for outlets and remained 14-2 for lights. Should never have an issues with electrical, as the outlets are on a separate breaker from the ceiling lighting, mainly just a ceiling fan in the bedrooms. The living/family rooms have 6 circuits which consist of 2 for outlets on each half of the room, 2 for each side ceiling fans and another 2 for each side can lighting. So there is never an overload as well. Kitchen is 100% GFCI protected as well as the bathroom.