DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-29-2013, 05:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
Platnumbob is on a distinguished road
Default Question about two different air intake mod options

I am planning on doing one of the following:

1.) Ebay intake with a 10" K&N cone filter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-03-04-05-...ht_5529wt_1124
OR

2.) The factory airbox mod - I will put in a K&N drop-in and then cut an additional hole with a pipe for more air supply.

My two main goals are sound and fuel efficency (and the pleasure of doing mods) any HP gains are a bonus if and should they occur.

My main question about that particular ebay intake (of which I would probably add some kind of heat shield) is that the new tubing is just replacing the factory tubing and the box is deleted. However the engine hat (dont know what else to call it) is still in place (whereas some other intakes remove it and put in a peice of air piping). Could someone elaborate for me on the pros and cons (if any) of havign the longer peice of intake piping that would delete that engine hat?

Would there be a sound difference?

Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2013, 07:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Hemi Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:38
knobert is on a distinguished road

Wallet efficiency would lean towards the factory airbox mod with a drop in, also with lack of back up documentation it is most likely the best for performance as well
Old 08-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1990
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Yup, I definitely vote for the factory air box mod as well. Going with that completely open ebay set up will probably give you less power than stock because of the increased heat. Adding a heat shield isn't going to solve that problem.

You're much better off doing the factory air box mod and then adding an aftermarket pipe between the air box and the throttle body. Airaid makes them.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs)
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 08-29-2013, 11:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I do appreciate the responses - thanks. I guess my question goes towards the pipe area between the "air box and the throttle body" or as I was referring to the engine hat area...lol.

What is the purpose of removing this section and adding a new pipe? If I do the above ebay intake or stock airbox mod without doing this am I still going to get any noticeable change in sound and/or power/ efficiency?
Old 08-30-2013, 12:17 AM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

The aftermarket tube will flow better which will give you slightly more power. Overall you aren't going to notice much of an increase if any from just an intake... Don't get your expectations too high.

8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs)
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Old 08-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I have a full K&N intake that I installed in my 2008 trailblazer.....I like it but really I figure that similar results should be possible without spending the 300$.

So basically the extra little peice of tube is just allowing a bit better air flow on the other end...probably will make limited difference overall?
Old 08-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Yes. The whole point of a CAI is to get cooler air and better flow. Every little thing you can to do help that adds up. Just doing one little thing by itself (such as putting a drop-in filter in) won't give you any difference. But when you start adding the things together like a drop-in, intake tube, and extra down pipe then you're getting somewhere. They all start working together to give you better gains.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Sweet - well hopefully I will find sometime this weekend to make a few changes