DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Western Brown
Rep:30
N901 is on a distinguished road

Went to the dealer to get the flares fixed today and the service manager said he'd prefer to contact Chrysler to see what they want to do to fix these. He said he could take them off and replace the tape but thought the separation would just happen again. At least they didn't try some half-assed fix. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
polcat is on a distinguished road

Any update? I'm having the same issue on my Laramie. 3 of the flares have some separation. The front passenger side is the worst.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:28 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Ram CC
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:117
KJ48 will become famous soon enoughKJ48 will become famous soon enough

I had mine pull away right under the gas filler door and on the other side rear towards the bottom front. It looks like they stuck them on first and then tightened the screws so parts of the flair is under tension and pulling away.

3M tape wont hold if its being pulled on constantly before it sets, and even if it does it will pull apart in the middle if there is enough tension.

I did the LH rear flare myself, pulled it off and replaced the tape. Wasnt a bad job except for getting the tape residue off the flare, what a PITA. Then I bolted the flare on so it sat as flush as I could get and then peeled the backing off the tape and pressed it on. Been fine since.

My '10 and '12 had no issues with the flares so most likely the process changed somehow, or I was just lucky. Or they may have changed the formula on the adhesive tape.

Dealer said they would just order new flares since they wont get paid to properly redo the tape. I was bored so I figured I'd try to fix it myself, if it happens on another one I'll just let them replace it or talk them into giving me the new one and letting me do it.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:40 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Rep:71
topgun will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ48 View Post
My '10 and '12 had no issues with the flares so most likely the process changed somehow, or I was just lucky. Or they may have changed the formula on the adhesive tape.
My 2012 has one coming loose so I guess you were lucky. Will probably fix myself so that it is done right.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun View Post
My 2012 has one coming loose so I guess you were lucky. Will probably fix myself so that it is done right.
Actually now that I think about it my '12 did have one come loose when it was new and I fixed it.

Its not that big of a deal to do, just a little time consuming removing the old tape since it all was stuck to the flare. Either way I spent a lot less time then dropping it off at the dealer and maybe them screwing something else up in the process. I had to buy a 15' roll of the 1/2' wide 3M tape, think it was 9.95 and I used about half of it. I've spent 5.00 and a couple hours on dumber things
Old 09-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
polcat is on a distinguished road

I just don't want to deal with this issue later down the road. My truck is 4 months old, what are they going to be like in 5-10 years? Which means I may remove the flares despite that I like them.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polcat View Post
I just don't want to deal with this issue later down the road. My truck is 4 months old, what are they going to be like in 5-10 years? Which means I may remove the flares despite that I like them.
If its done properly they should last the life of the truck. My guess is they spend about 20 seconds each installing them on the line and if the prep isnt perfect and they dont sit flush when tightened without the tape they will pull away. Its not like it structural, the screws hold them on and the tape just keeps them on the body, I didnt even notice on this '13 for a couple months and I'm sure it was pulled away the day I bought it.

I dont really like them much, they come standard on the Laramies so not much of a choice, they look better on the two tone trucks. I have a monotone so I could take them or leave them..