DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-02-2013, 08:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:117
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

How does an oil change make a "huge" difference in the way it runs?
Plugged filter?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:39 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

New/better oil equals less friction equals less wear & tear equals cooler running engine equals happy owner.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:27 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 QC
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:49
maw76 is on a distinguished road

I noticed quieter idle when switched factory fill out for pennzoil platinum
Old 09-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Express Quad Cab
Trim Level: Express QC Rwd
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:108
SoCalExpress will become famous soon enoughSoCalExpress will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
I hope that was a TYPO
5w-30 may make your engine light come on
the HEMI uses 5w-20, because of the MDS
Not a typo and no engine light It meets the Chrysler/Mopar requirements. In my old Ram (Hemi as well) I used to run full synthetic 5W-40 and no issues there either. Already drove from my house to LA twice yesterday (about 40 mi each leg) and had to pick up some hay as well, 3 bails, which I had in the bed of my truck for about 20 miles. Put on about 220 miles overall since the oil change and can only see good thus far. Ill get back to you after next Monday though, going up to Napa tomorrow for some wine tasting for a couple of days and then up to lake Edison in the Sierra's for some Camping and fishing. About 1100 miles of driving not including driving around once at our destinations.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:45 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 QC
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Rep:49
maw76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalExpress View Post
Not a typo and no engine light It meets the Chrysler/Mopar requirements. In my old Ram (Hemi as well) I used to run full synthetic 5W-40 and no issues there either. Already drove from my house to LA twice yesterday (about 40 mi each leg) and had to pick up some hay as well, 3 bails, which I had in the bed of my truck for about 20 miles. Put on about 220 miles overall since the oil change and can only see good thus far. Ill get back to you after next Monday though, going up to Napa tomorrow for some wine tasting for a couple of days and then up to lake Edison in the Sierra's for some Camping and fishing. About 1100 miles of driving not including driving around once at our destinations.
does your Eco light still come on maybe just as long as 5 weight is used if so I might go up then to 5w30 or 40 in summer would be nice if we had mds light come on when it is in use.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

SoCalExpress will become famous soon enoughSoCalExpress will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by maw76 View Post
does your Eco light still come on maybe just as long as 5 weight is used if so I might go up then to 5w30 or 40 in summer would be nice if we had mds light come on when it is in use.
Eco light still comes on, so far only been less than a tank of fuel but no change in mpg as of yet. I wish I could turn off MDS in the EVIC. I didn't buy my truck because I wanted an economy vehicle
Old 09-04-2013, 11:56 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:38
ILuvaMyTrucka is on a distinguished road

I switched to royal purple sae 5w20 and a mobil 1 filter for my first oil change and my fuel average went from 15.6L/100km to 14.7L/100km.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

So I did the first leg of my trip yesterday, about 500 miles, it was hot outside, slight grades off and on, truck ran nearly perfect. I do think I can feel the MDS come on and off a little more now. I usually don't have it on anyways but figured what the heck. I averaged a little under 20MPG but I am hauling some things in my bed, the weather was hot, and I was cruising around 80 the whole time and getting on it to pass idiots. Ill probably baby it on the way out of Napa to my camping and see if I can squeeze 25MPG out of it like I did one time before.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:45 PM

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: White
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalExpress View Post
Did my first oil change today since I bought my truck. Used royal purple 5w 30 and I can tell a huge difference in the way it runs. Btw great practical joke on the placement of the oil filter, much harder to get to than almost any other vehicle I've owned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyRacer View Post
Royal Purple IIRC was started small scale as a brainchild product in the refinieries in Benicia, CA. Absorbed by a larger corporation to handle vastly increased demand, it's becoming a standard in lubrication performance, if a bit pricey.
It's overpriced boutique oil imo.

Noticed a difference in mine just switching out the factory oil and replacing it with Pennzoil "Dino oil", also my mpg per liter has also gone down.

Once winter arrives, I will switch to Pennzoil Platinum, but if I don't notice anything noticeable with it as far as better gas mileage or a smoother/quieter running engine, then I will switch back to the Pennzoil "Dino" oil.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:07 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:117
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

I think everyone's mileage is getting better at the first oil change, and a clean new filter helps. Tying this normal break-in improvement with a specific brand or type of oil is kind of bad science.