DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-01-2013, 02:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:134
Okieram will become famous soon enoughOkieram will become famous soon enough
Default Question about 8 speed and rear end gearing

Hi All. I recently came back to Dodge after driving Ford for a while. I had a "Kool Vanilla" truck back in 2008 and it was just a fun truck to drive. I recently purchased a flame red 2013 CC, 4x4 hemi with the 8 speed but I am a little confused.

I thought I had a 3.55 LSD rear end but after careful review of my window sticker and reading some web material it seems I do have the 3.21. I crawled under the truck today to confirm this and the sticker on the axle is 3.21.

The sport package listed the 3.55 gear but closer to the bottom where the 8 speed is listed it shows 3.21. For some reason I am thinking the factory made a mistake after reading the web material where folks ordered trucks or purchased trucks like I did and it seems this may be a error on Chrysler's part.

The 3.55 is a more expensive rear end and I am on the fence about the 3.21. i personally would not have gotten that rear end (3.21) but would have preferred the 3.55. I travel 500 miles a week and I really don't tow anything and have no plans to purchase a trailer. However it does seem to feel like if I had a little taller gear the high end may perform a little better. When I am cruising down the highway it does seem to lag a little on inclines where my other trucks did not. they were all either 3.73 or 3.92.

I guess my question is, did the factory mess up and put 3.21 gears in when it should have had 3.55 but since the 8 speed came in to the picture did the factory automatically install 3.21 for everyone with 8 speed autos?

How can I correct this? I am not sure if I paid for 3.55 but got 3.21 just because the 8 speed got installed and RAM over looked the 3.55 rear end which came in the sport package 4x4.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2583
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

did you factory order it ?
if you did, what does it read on the order, that the dealer gave you at ordering time ?

did both the ordering form & the Build Sheet read the same thing ?

if you bought it off the lot from dealers inventory, you are stuck with it, unless the salesman told you it had 3.55 & it didn't
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-01-2013, 06:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QCab
Trim Level: SLT - 8spd 3.55 20"
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic Clear
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:368
arietem is just really nicearietem is just really nicearietem is just really nicearietem is just really nice
Smile 8spd and 3.55s

Guess I was one of the lucky ones, my rep at the dealer was very clear with me. Said that the 3.55s were optional and had to be ordered. It was about a 50 dollar option at the time. I was a bit uncertain on what came as a default.
At least this guy knew what he was talking about. He was also a truck owner.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RAM1500 QUAD 4x4 3.21rear
Trim Level: tradesman
Color: black
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:10
fishin4ladyz is on a distinguished road

my window sticker says the same thing. 3.55 as a standard option then farther down the sticker says added what ever option package changed the gear ratio to 3.21
Old 09-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Gold / White Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:256
Explorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the rough

The 3.55 was the standard axle for the 4x4 when equipped with the 6-speed. The 3.21 is the standard axle for all Rams when equipped with the 8-speed. Some packages include a different axle though (such as the Outdoorsman). What you see on your window sticker is the standard 3.55 but when the 8-speed got added it changed the axle to 3.21. There is some fine print on the sticker that says something like what is shown under standard features may be replaced by optional equipment.

The problem that some people ran into was that Ram was very slow to let the dealers know about the axle change with the 8-speed. Since the dealers didn't know about the change, the customers were led to think they were still getting the 3.55 axle. There were some window stickers that didn't even mention the 3.21 with the 8-speed. Those that bought a Ram off the lot with these stickers and were told that it had a 3.55 or 3.92 or ordered a Ram and were told by the dealer that it came with a 3.55 or 3.92 (especially if they paid the extra $50.00) have a legitimate complaint. Ram should make it right. It all started with too many people relying on Ram's website which only applied to the 6-speed Rams. Six months ago if you went to the website and used it to build your own it would have shown the standard axle as a 3.55. You then go down to the dealer to order a Ram built like the one on Ram's website except you want the 8-speed. You just unknowingly changed your axle to a 3.21 and most of the time the salesman didn't even know. It all falls back on Ram and their lack of updated information.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Toyota Tundra
Trim Level: SR5
Color: blue
Rep:10
RoadKing58 is on a distinguished road

If I specify an 8-speed with the Laramie on the build and price website it says the 3.55 is standard.I just tried it an it says nothing about 3.21 gears.Yet every Laramie I've seen at dealers has 3.21.WTF!How hard is it to fix there website?