DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
CASwanson is on a distinguished road
Question Rear end was overfilled by 1/2 qt like 2011s

So I have 37k miles on my truck and changed the rear, front, and transfer case oils this weekend. When I unscrewed the top drain plug on the rear, about 1/2 qt came out. So it appears they are still overfilling them just like they did for the fix in 2011. I jacked up one side of the rear end and was able to get in another 1/3 qt so I got 2.3 qts back in. Does anyone know if there is a special tool the dealer has to pump in fluid through the breather hose on top of the rear? I'd like to order it for the future if it exists! How are all of you guys getting in the extra amount? Jacking one side like me?
thanks
Craig Swanson
Old 09-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White-W7
Rep:139
Hemi N Haw will become famous soon enoughHemi N Haw will become famous soon enough
Smile

Dunno CA. I do know if you go on amsoils website & put in your vehicle info. They'll show a rear diff fill capacity of 4.6 pints or = 2.3 quarts & thats what I was able to put in mine. I used their severe gear. Once my warranties are up I plan on swapping out all the lube covers I can IE trans pan & rear diff cover for the greater capacity fin cooled & drain plug serviceable covers that many after market companies make for these trucks. I know it's silly cause by swapping these items to ones that can hold more fluid that can be cooled w/ external fins as opposed to stock less efficient parts supplied by the automakers. These auto makers rely on any little changes to void a warranty in a hurry. Don't make much sense but it's reality. Good luck pal.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Since I am out of warranty I did swap out the rear diff cover. I am glad I did because when I dropped the stock one almost no fluid came out.

I don't know if they will void any warranties for something like this but I guess it depends on the dealer. I had this cover on when they performed the recall on my truck.

I love it. Has a magnetic dipstick as well as a drain plug so I don't have to take it off or stick some tube down there and attempt to drain fluid.

As stated above I plan to do the transmission pan eventually.

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:54 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

That is a beautiful piece of art for a diff cover Arth! That's what I'm saving up for now.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantman View Post
That is a beautiful piece of art for a diff cover Arth! That's what I'm saving up for now.
Don't mean to thread jack but I am getting this to go along with it since I do have a custom exhaust...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270375695501...84.m1423.l2649

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:03 AM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arth View Post
Don't mean to thread jack but I am getting this to go along with it since I do have a custom exhaust...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270375695501...84.m1423.l2649
You're killin me man! Another great upgrade and love seeing the stamp, "Made in the USA". Now to find something to sell to get more money faster! thanks for sharing and sorry for thread jack assisting.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi N Haw View Post
Dunno CA. I do know if you go on amsoils website & put in your vehicle info. They'll show a rear diff fill capacity of 4.6 pints or = 2.3 quarts & thats what I was able to put in mine. I used their severe gear. Once my warranties are up I plan on swapping out all the lube covers I can IE trans pan & rear diff cover for the greater capacity fin cooled & drain plug serviceable covers that many after market companies make for these trucks. I know it's silly cause by swapping these items to ones that can hold more fluid that can be cooled w/ external fins as opposed to stock less efficient parts supplied by the automakers. These auto makers rely on any little changes to void a warranty in a hurry. Don't make much sense but it's reality. Good luck pal.

So did you get 2.3 in just by filling to bottom of the fill hole? like I said I know it takes 2.3 which I got in also but had to fill above fill plug in order to do it. I have lifetime max care warranty so I won't be changing rear covers. Looking for people who have personally changed their rear end fluid in 2012 model trucks. thanks
Old 09-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

also did fluid come out when you removed the fill plug or did you open bottom plug first when draining?
Old 09-03-2013, 02:49 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Color: Black
Rep:73
jp7704jp will become famous soon enough

Ive found that filling them is difficult as well. Didnt think of jacking up a side though. Nice.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

The way the dealership did it
they filled the level to the fill plug
then put the rest of the fluid in through the vent tube fitting

personally i could not see removing the differential cover to empty the differential if you want to check out the gearing or to fix a Pinion Seal
I wanted a drain plug that was magnetized to hold onto metal filings , a fill plug that was at the correct level, something that had more fluid capacity, & i wanted it to look good & be different, yet not something that would void any warranty

http://www.mag-hytec.com/
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 09-03-2013 at 03:41 PM.