DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:26
toober is on a distinguished road
Default Dee Zee 6" Oval Nerf Bars

This review is for the Dee Zee 6 inch Oval Nerf Bars (black) (DZ16121) with mount (DZ16335) on a 2013 Ram 1500.

After one month of ordering and return complications with dozens of emails and chat windows, at least a combined hour of instructions, useless youtube videos, a few hours of first time installation, a broken installation set bolt in over 100 degree weather, and the promise of a $50 rebate in the mail, they're finally installed!

The actual installation of them was not difficult but a matching video would have been helpful. Note it is best to ratchet with one hand only. Hence, the broken install bolt, which actually I removed with my fingers, I kid you not! Even though it was screwed in tight enough to break the bolt, it was still lose enough to come back out the other way with fingers. The downside of the bars is that now it is difficult for me to get under the truck with these on (but that would probably happen with any nerf bars). Gotta plan for a lift next year (and debadge, yes, I know, it's on the list).

These obnoxious bad boys are finally on the truck. I pulled these bars out as far as they would go. I also could have pushed them back in about a 1/2 inch. As far as positioning with mud guards, not a problem! You can see in the pic that I slid the bars right up next to the Husky mud guard. The bars would slide further forward if I wanted it to. I originally had them positioned halfway between the tires. It is up to you where you put them but I pushed them forward for better positioning of the step grips with the doors. The only thing that suprised me about these is that they are not bars and only the ends are oval. The visible rest is curved to the same oval and the back is cutout. I haven't installed other nerf bars before but never realized some weren't complete 'bars'. They look durable enough to work as intended but may not provide the same side impact protection as fully bent bars would.

Here is a pic from front and behind of the side profile. They do stick out quite a bit. They would hit the highway guardrail before my tires do. The hope is they also stop door dings in parking lots.

Here is a picture underneath. You can see the slide cutouts that the nut clips go onto and how they allow for positioning where you want them. The rivet is part of the bar assembly, I didn't do anything with those.

This pic is of a mount bracket. For the Extended Cab, there are three mounts on each side of the truck. These particular mounts (DZ16335) have three screws per mount on the rocker panel and two on the bar.

Mount pics are better seen in the instruction manual. Here is the link for this particular mount manual. The manual includes two sections, the first for running boards and the second half is for the 'oval side steps' (what happened to nerf?). The manual also has pics for quad and regular cabs.
http://www.deezee.com/product_images/DZ16335.pdf
Old 09-07-2013, 12:04 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Sagebrush
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:87
kkreit01 will become famous soon enough

Nice. Do they feel rock solid when you stand on them?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:11 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:26
toober is on a distinguished road

Yes. They do feel sturdy. The mounts appear to be 1/4 inch thick metal. I haven't noticed any flex when I stand on the bars but I haven't been looking either.

Just a side note FYI, I believe I could easily loosen the bar bolts and slide it more forward or backward in the future if I wanted (ie: you add/remove mud guards, etc). I did see similar "u clip nuts" at the local hardware store (use to be Ace Hardware) that are used on the bars (if the originals decide not to move).