DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:88
oh4ohyeah will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Help! I've got coolant everywhere!

Well, just tonight, I was getting on the freeway and I was getting on the truck pretty good - Got it up to 4500 RPMs, etc and about a 1/4 mile down the freeway, the "Check Gages" light came on. I checked the gauges and the voltage gauge was down to nothing and I noticed the gauge lights dim slightly. First thing I thought was I blew out the alternator. Well, as I checked the other gauges, I noticed the temp gauge creeping up to just about the "H" limit. I immediately pulled the truck to the side of the road, turned it off, and popped the hood. Steam rolling out of everywhere. I could smell the coolant burning. Since I had no flashlight, I couldn't inspect too much and called AAA and had it towed home. Upon inspecting, I could not find ANY cracks or leaks in the hoses and the radiator was still 7/8 of the way full with the resovoir about 1/2" below the "MIN" line. I still have yet to discover where all the coolant came from so I started the truck to see if I could find any spray... Nothing. However, I did noticed the center pulley that the fan is mounted to jerking around a lot when the fan runs - So much to the point that the back side of the pulley was grinding against the aluminum behind it. Is this the water pump? What happened to my truck?? Please, any input is greatly appreciated!

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab
89,000 miles

Good Hood Fiberglass Functional Ram-Air Hood * Gibson Stainless Headers * Magnaflow Dual Exhaust * Nitto Terra Grapplers * 20% Window Tint
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2009, 09:54 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Yup, your water pump is shot. It's not uncommon on the 4.7 and 5.7 motors. If you're handy with a ratchet, you can fix this yourself, but you will need a 36mm wrench or fan tool to remove the clutch fan from the water pump. The threads are right handed. If you have a 3.7/4.7 the pump bolts torque to 40 ft lbs. If you have a Hemi, they torque to 18 ft lbs.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerson228 View Post
Yup, your water pump is shot. It's not uncommon on the 4.7 and 5.7 motors. If you're handy with a ratchet, you can fix this yourself, but you will need a 36mm wrench or fan tool to remove the clutch fan from the water pump. The threads are right handed. If you have a 3.7/4.7 the pump bolts torque to 40 ft lbs. If you have a Hemi, they torque to 18 ft lbs.
Thanks for the speedy response! I'm pretty good with tools and working on my own vehicles, but since I haven't quite worked on my truck yet, it'll be a new experience. It is, in fact, the 4.7L and I'm kinda' glad that this is a "common" problem, in a way. Do you have any ideas on where the coolant come from that sprayed everywhere? That's bothering me. Also, is there anything else I should be concerned about when the water pump took a dump? Also, about how long should replacing a water pump take? Just as a guesstimate?

Good Hood Fiberglass Functional Ram-Air Hood * Gibson Stainless Headers * Magnaflow Dual Exhaust * Nitto Terra Grapplers * 20% Window Tint

Last edited by oh4ohyeah; 12-14-2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Another question added.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 Quad 4WD 5.9
Trim Level: Quad cab
Color: Garnet red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:202
deanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura about

Might be a good time to replace all the hoses while you're in there. I hate having to do things twice.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:19 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

The bearings in the water pump let go and took the seals out with them. Thats where your coolant came from.
3.7L/4.7L ENGINE

The water pump on 3.7L/4.7L engines is bolted directly to the engine timing chain case cover.
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain cooling system.
  3. Remove fan/viscous fan drive assembly from water pump . Do not attempt to remove fan/viscous fan drive assembly from vehicle at this time. WARNING: CONSTANT TENSION HOSE CLAMPS ARE USED ON MOST COOLING SYSTEM HOSES. WHEN REMOVING OR INSTALLING, USE ONLY TOOLS DESIGNED FOR SERVICING THIS TYPE OF CLAMP. ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN SERVICING CONSTANT TENSION CLAMPS.
    CAUTION: A number or letter is stamped into the tongue of constant tension clamps. If replacement is necessary, use only an original equipment clamp with matching number or letter and width.
  4. If the water pump is being replaced, do not unbolt the fan blade assembly from the thermal viscous fan drive.
  5. Remove the radiator fan.
  6. Remove accessory drive belt.
  7. Remove the lower radiator hose clamp and remove the lower hose at the water pump.
  8. Remove the water pump mounting bolts. CAUTION: Do not pry water pump at timing chain case/cover. The machined surfaces may be damaged resulting in leaks.
  9. Remove the water pump and gasket. Discard gasket.
3.7L/4.7L ENGINE

The water pump on 3.7L/4.7L engine is bolted directly to the engine timing chain case cover.
  1. Clean the gasket mating surfaces.
  2. Using a new gasket, position water pump and install the mounting bolts. Tighten the water pump mounting bolts to 58 Nm (43 ft. lbs.).
  3. Spin the water pump to be sure that the pump impeller does not rub against the timing chain case/cover.
  4. Connect the radiator lower hose to the water pump.
  5. Relax the tension from the belt tensioner. Install the drive belt. CAUTION: When installing the serpentine accessory drive belt, the belt must be routed correctly. If not, the engine may overheat due to the water pump rotating in the wrong direction. Refer to (Belt Routing 3.7L) for the correct belt routing. Or, refer to the Belt Routing Label located in the engine compartment. The correct belt with correct length must be used.
  6. Install the radiator fan.
  7. Fill cooling system.
  8. Connect the negative battery cable.
  9. Start and warm the engine. Check for leaks.
A tip on bleeding air from the cooling system: Remove the bleeder plug from the neck where the upper hose attaches and remove the radiator cap. Use a trans funnel to fill the engine through the bleeder until you fill the radiator. Replace the bleeder and finish topping off the radiator. This method usually works, but the 3.7/4.7 engines are notorious for trapping air in them.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:27 PM

Thanks!!

Now... $52.99 Duralast Water Pump from AutoZone?

Old 12-14-2009, 10:34 PM

I haven't had any experience with aftermarket pumps for these engines since I work at a dealership. Id check the price at the dealer and then decide.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerson228 View Post
I haven't had any experience with aftermarket pumps for these engines since I work at a dealership. Id check the price at the dealer and then decide.
Good call. I got a buddy that works at a Dodge dealership, so I'll check with him first. Thanks again!

Old 12-18-2009, 06:36 PM

Well, it looks like ~$120 for the water pump from a Dodge dealership and I found one at Advance Auto Parts for about $60 with a lifetime warranty. I think I might go the "Advance" route. I can't fathom spending twice as much for a water pump with a one year warranty.

Are there any other tools I'll be needing other than a ratchet (with some sockets, obviously) and the 36mm wrench?

Old 12-18-2009, 09:51 PM

No, nothing special on top the the 36mm to get the fan off the pump. You should be able to do the majority of the job with basic hand tools.