DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:221
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

The question is, did you fix it and do a good job? If you did, I wouldn't be afraid of the truck but you are correct, car fax probably won't list everything on a vehicle.

We recently bought my son a GTO. We were going to look at one car and it had the worst car fax I've ever seen. It had been turned back in to GM under the lemon law. It had also been wrecked that said rear end damage. It had also been stolen and recovered. The reason we didn't look at it was the location was out of the way but it might have been a nice car. The car fax would have had me looking at it close and I would have tried to get a much better price because of the car fax.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:21 PM

Vehicle: 2010 R/T RAM
Trim Level: R/T
Color: BLUE
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:274
will36 is a jewel in the roughwill36 is a jewel in the roughwill36 is a jewel in the rough

We replaced the whole left side, front and rear bumper, most of the glass, fixed the rt side and roof. Did a all over paint.

Anything goes wrong with what we touch or paint for 5 years is fixed on our dime.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:03 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:221
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

Heck yeah, I'd take it, people are afraid of rebuilds or damaged vehicles. If fixed correctly they can be as good as new and maybe bought cheaper.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Rep:420
skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice

Also, Carfax pays to get information primarily from insurance companies. They also have deals with many DMV's across the country. "They also get information from auto auctions, car dealers, repair and service facilities, rental companies, state inspection stations, fire departments, law enforcement, car manufacturers, import/export companies and many others. That’s not to say that all companies of these types provide this information, but many do."

Many accidents and issues occur that are not reported and are not taken care of through insurance companies. People pay for repairs themselves and have vehicles repaired in independent shops. Thus, there is NO record of any damage or accident. CarFax may turn up information on a subject vehicle but there is no guarantee that the entire history of the vehicle is represented.

Last edited by skytop; 09-04-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:25 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: True Blue Peal/Mineral Gray
Rep:92
dawoodsman will become famous soon enough

Sure you aren't breaking Arkansaw law Wil36 by not reporting this accident? I believe you would be in some states.

It's a misnomer to say accidents get reported directly to carfax. They get reported by law enforcement when law enforcement is involved--or they get reported by states requiring dealer and auto repair folks (like Wil36) to report accidents--or by insurance companies. Basically the accident gets attached to the title--we call it a "salvage title" here--or it gets reported to the state who maintains records of accidents. Both sources are checked by Carfax and others. But that's not the end of it--a lot of other useful recorded info--such as maintenance history with dates and odometer readings from dealer shops, title history, non-accident damage (e.g. flood damage) that is recorded by the insurance company-- is collected.

But of course not every accident gets reported. Sometime even when it is required to be by law. Carfax, autocheck--and there are a couple of others--are only as good as the info available to them for that vehicle. They can't be held responsible if people are required to report an accident to the state--but do not.

I've seen several critical comparisons of which is best and they all indicate carfax is the best by a hair--also the most expensive to check into on your own.

Bottom line is they aren't perfect--but they do help catch quite a few problems you'd have no idea about even if you inspect the car thoroughly!

See here for an objective take: http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/wh...t-for-you.html
Old 09-04-2013, 06:35 PM

Vehicle: 2010 R/T RAM
Trim Level: R/T
Color: BLUE
Rep:274
will36 is a jewel in the roughwill36 is a jewel in the roughwill36 is a jewel in the rough

We are not required to report anything. not even insurance companies.

Like stated my Charger was hit 4 or 5 times where it was fixed with someone else's insurance covering the bill. It come back clean .

I rebuilt totasl for 8 years for a while you could clean up a title if you knew the loop hole. They closed it. We would always take before pics. and make the buyer sign the back of the pics. when we sold a total we repaired. That way down the road there would never be any they didn't tell me it was wrecked before.