DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: True Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:61
Raz6200 will become famous soon enough
Default Replacing the stock headlights?

Let me first start out by saying that I am fairly new to this forum and even newer to owning my first Ram. I absolutely love this truck and have added a few things that make it even nicer, at least to me. With that said I love almost everything about the Truck except the headlights, those suck! I have ordered the PIAA xtreme white plus bulbs, but after speaking with my father in law who owns a 2010 Ram 2500 Diesel he was telling me that some of the bulbs are really hard to get to and I may even need to take tires off and go through the wheel wells or take it back to the dealer. Me not knowing much about the truck am a little worried. So my question is has anyone changed these yet? If so, is it simple (kind of plug and play ) or is this more in detail than I am expecting. Either way I need to change these because holding a candle out the window is better than the stock headlights. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

The bulbs that you ordered will not help much and burn out much more quickly.

I would look into changing to HID low beam kits and maybe do the fog lights. You don't need to do the high beams if you have quad headlights. Lots of information on the kits. Don't go cheep or you will have problems.

1 vendor is Retro Solutions you can email them to find out what you need.

Greg

Old 09-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

i won't go into the bulbs types

most people remove the grille & turn the wheels inwards to change the bulbs
when removing the grille, you put a towel or a few rags between the bottom of the grille & the bumper, to protect the finishes. unscrew the proper screws at the top of the grille, then lean the top of the grille towards you & carefully slip the grille off of the clips at the bottom of the grille.

You could remove the tires for easier access to the white clip inside the panel that has to be lifted, instead of leaning against the tire to do it, but is not needed

Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 09-03-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:07 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

GT covered the installation part. I've tried almost every aftermarket halogen bulb available when I got my 11 Ram. Nothing and I do mean nothing was a marked improvement over stock until I jumped into HID's. I'd look at 55 watt HID's for the lows and 35 watt for fogs.

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies, but I am very wary of installing the HID's, primarily because of all the ad reviews I keep seeing. I even called a very high end mechanic that I have dealt with in the past who only works on Porsche, Bentley, Corvette etc. and asked his opinion. He said while they are much brighter all of the aftermarket HID'S suck. None of them have good directions, they stop working in a year or less, they could burn out your wiring etc. he had a few other issues but I won't bore everyone. So bottom line is I am nervous to go that route. I was really hoping the PIAAs were at least a little bit brighter than stock. If I can find an aftermarket Halogen that is as bright as the stock hi beams I would be fine with that. Are you guys saying that the PIAAs aren't brighter than stock headlamps ?
Old 09-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Express RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Rep:10
GilAlex is on a distinguished road

Raz,

I put Spyder HIDs on my old 2007 RAM 1500 and my new 2012 RAM 1500 Express.
Best price $334 from ProTuningLab. They install the HIDs into the housing and included a complete wiring kit. The LED's and CCFL rings I used a iJDMTOY vibration DRL harness. They really look great. Look at my pictures in GilAlex.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I'll check em out. Tks
Old 09-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I have an '09 Ram

I am looking forward to some after market company to start producing a variation of the LAZER BEAM headlights that BMW has been working on & Mercedes has been working on a variation too
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcscott View Post
The bulbs that you ordered will not help much and burn out much more quickly.

I would look into changing to HID low beam kits and maybe do the fog lights. You don't need to do the high beams if you have quad headlights. Lots of information on the kits. Don't go cheep or you will have problems.

1 vendor is Retro Solutions you can email them to find out what you need.

Greg
Its so hard figuring out who has a good product and who is a reputable place. It seems like every person has a different opinion so for me it's very confusing. I emailed Retro solutions and they answered but it's very slow going via email, I still didn't get any recommendations as they need to know what headlamp housings I have. I think non projector...I think. Is there a number to call and speak with these guys. Also does retro solutions have a good product? I see cheap ones online, but I'm pretty sure you get what you pay for and they'll suk or burn out quick. I want to install or have these installed and not touch them again. This should be way easier, but just seems like a real big pain in the ass.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:26 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Retro solutions has great products, as for the email time, its normal, they are very busy, They will need to know what kind of headlamp you have because this will determine what they will need to sell you. There are 3 types of OEM headlight units on the 2013, Dual (this ia a unit that only has one bulb, that bulb is both your high and low beams), Quad ( this unit has 2 halogen bulbs, one for your low, and one for your high) and Projector ( this unit has 2 halogen bulbs, one that is located behind a magnifier lens, this is your low beam and one for your high beams, bulb only) With this information they will be able to quote you what you need. You can also look at a few posts here where they will list the parts you need to order from retrosolutions for your type of housing. Hope this helps