DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-06-2013, 03:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
Lobo is on a distinguished road
Talking

Nothing like the metal on vehicles back in the old days. When I was 13 or so, I used to drive (like I stole it) my Dad's '48 Ford pickup around the farm and bounced it off trees a few times and never a dent, except once on a rear fender which I beat out with a hammer. Perfect! (Sort of), but Pop never knew.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Quad Cab
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:45
tguil is on a distinguished road
Default Cheap metal and PDR repair

One reason that PDR (paintless dent repair) is so successful is that our trucks are assembled with "cheap"/thin metal. It allows PDR techs to push/pull dents out of the metal fairly easily. Much of what used to require body repair and repainting can be accomplished with PDR with no bodywork or painting.

We complain about the soft paint on our trucks, but it too is more pliable than the paint used in the "good old days". It allows the PDR techs to reshape the metal without the paint cracking.

Now about "orange peel". A PDR tech told me that "orange peel" is a PDR tech's "friend". One of the tools that is often used to level metal that has been pushed or pulled out is a nylon cylinder with a rather pointed tip. Yep, the result of using it looks a bit like "orange peel".

If you have bad stampings from the factory...That's beyond PDR. I've tried to have stamping errors corrected a couple times using PDR and it doesn't work.

Had a shopping cart incident just today. Sure am glad that I have a Ram with "cheap" metal. I know it can be repaired without any bodywork or repainting. In the "good old days", I would have had to live with that damn ding until I traded the truck.
2012 White Hemi 1500 QC, 4X4, Big Horn Edition, Protection Group, Luxury Group, 3.92 Anti-Spin, Mopar Bedliner, Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Mopar Molded Mud Guards, Access Roll Up Tonneau, Michelin LTX M/S 2's