DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-07-2013, 12:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White-W7
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:139
Hemi N Haw will become famous soon enoughHemi N Haw will become famous soon enough
Smile Mods For Miles!

Ok. Dead horse I'm sure. But what mods have you all done to increase mileage in your rides? Look there's no reason why people w/ lifts & tires can't increase mpg other than the fact that their increased height & wheel size have diminished the already minimal mileage ram 5.7 hemis seem to get out the factory due to the magnification of the trucks natural traits that ruin it's mpg in the first place. That said my theory goes a little like this. Any & all engine mods W/ a tuner programmed to save fuel. A lift but downsized rim & up sized tire w/ free flowing exhaust & bigger gears should net you a close to stock if not better mileage report. Just an assumption that I'm hoping someone on here can give creedence to?????
Sponsored links
Old 09-07-2013, 02:02 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

The logic and theory sounds right. But in reality... you just have to try it and see. Good ideas though. Reps for the thought.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:50 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Express 3.6/8 speed auto
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

The biggest thing with these trucks is your right foot. I very rarely get tach over 2000 RPM. I coast as far as possible without screwing up traffic. I on propose go lightly on throttle to get MDS kicked in 4th gear@35MPH and hold it there to 5th gear/55MPH all the while in MDS mode. I just make it game. Overall MPG is a consistent 19.6 MPG. The most I drive to work, 24.8 miles, without stopping is 12 miles. I have to make 4 stops one way, so I really don't get highway mileage, and the rest is around town. So 19.6 is pretty good in my book.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:56 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Sage Green Pearl
Rep:496
dodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of light

All I got is a drop in kn filter.. And like said above it all about the right foot.. Take er easy and she is amazing on fuel. All day long I average 18.7 threw city and a bit of county driving. No one ever believes me but go to my truck any time of the day and check the screen she's always gets me 18mpg I can't complain and on highway I get bout 21-22 depending the wind and weather
Old 09-07-2013, 10:41 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy360 View Post
All I got is a drop in kn filter.. And like said above it all about the right foot.. Take er easy and she is amazing on fuel. All day long I average 18.7 threw city and a bit of county driving. No one ever believes me but go to my truck any time of the day and check the screen she's always gets me 18mpg I can't complain and on highway I get bout 21-22 depending the wind and weather
I absolutely believe you.

I was in the same boat prior to my mods. I was hovering right around the numbers you posted and a tad higher on the open road. Nobody believed me about the great highway, city and just overall MPG I was getting. I didn't give a squirt and I certainly was not holding a gun to their heads.

Like you said, it's all about the method you choose to drive. These trucks/engines get a beating for the MPG they do but rarely, if ever, do those same bashers look at the source behind the wheel.

A good tradesman never blames his tools....... a bad tradesman always does.

Points for a great reply.

Grub out!
Old 09-07-2013, 10:53 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Silver
Rep:286
naturecannon is a jewel in the roughnaturecannon is a jewel in the roughnaturecannon is a jewel in the rough

Hyundai for miles

Hammer on the HEMI
Old 09-07-2013, 11:02 PM

Hemi N Haw will become famous soon enoughHemi N Haw will become famous soon enough
Talking

Agreed play the game & baby it is how I get my best mpg's but u know that only lasts as long as the next childish impulse comes along to make that hemi sing!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:21 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Sage Green Pearl
Rep:496
dodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi N Haw View Post
Agreed play the game & baby it is how I get my best mpg's but u know that only lasts as long as the next childish impulse comes along to make that hemi sing!
Haha that's the good thing about it. It's like the hemi has 2 personallities one it's a cute little fuel saving 4 banger truck an then it turns into an angry monster on steroids when you hammer down she wakes up and jumps..
Old 09-11-2013, 10:23 PM

Talking

LOL! Yea Buddy!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Drew a conclusion

Vehicle: 2012 1500 reg. cab 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3230
PaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
I absolutely believe you.

I was in the same boat prior to my mods. I was hovering right around the numbers you posted and a tad higher on the open road. Nobody believed me about the great highway, city and just overall MPG I was getting. I didn't give a squirt and I certainly was not holding a gun to their heads.

Like you said, it's all about the method you choose to drive. These trucks/engines get a beating for the MPG they do but rarely, if ever, do those same bashers look at the source behind the wheel.

A good tradesman never blames his tools....... a bad tradesman always does.

Points for a great reply.

Great post, Grub. Particularly the end. Rep when I can!!