DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-12-2013, 11:23 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRamJet View Post
Put some $1.99 Champion OEM plugs in last week. Getting 2+ more mpg after the switch. Added synthetic oil, too. But I'm thinking the plugs are where the real gain is.
Actually synthetic is likely where your gain came from. I can't explain why or how, but EVERY motor I have ever switched has seen at least a 1-2mpg increase on average. EVERY one. Not here or there, hit or miss, consistently. 14 motor's over the last 8 years or so. (had a lot of cars LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11silverslt View Post
I just changed my plugs today, bought them from the dealer and they were Bosch plugs in Mopar boxes. All was going well until the coil boot was seized on the rear most plug on the driver side of the engine, well we all know what that means a trip to the dealer for a replacement coil, because no parts store stocks coils for my 4.7l engine. Had to go to two different dealers and bought two just in case. Good thing because I broke another one finishing up. While at the dealer a tech said they change the plugs when the motor is real hot to avoid the boots seizing onto the plugs. Truck runs good now with al the new plugs and air filter and coils and it only cost me $ 147.01 for a tune up and all day Saturday running around. Don't know about the mileage yet but I was getting 18 + on the highway before so we will see.
I would not let that tech or anyone from that dealer anywhere near my truck...EVER.

Pulling the plugs on a hot engine is a good way to pull the threads out of an aluminium head. Metal expands and contracts with heat/cold. Since Alumnium dissipates heat faster than most other metals (including the ones your plug's threads are made of), they expand at a MUCH slower rate than the plugs. So the plug threads are expanded while the heads threads are not expanded as much. Removing a plug at that point will almost certainly strip the threads in the head.

When that happens, sometimes you get lucky and there are a few threads left that can hold the plug in place, but then there are metal shavings in the engine. If you are unlucky, the head has to come off to be re-tapped.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 09-12-2013, 11:37 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
Actually synthetic is likely where your gain came from. I can't explain why or how, but EVERY motor I have ever switched has seen at least a 1-2mpg increase on average. EVERY one. Not here or there, hit or miss, consistently. 14 motor's over the last 8 years or so. (had a lot of cars LOL)
Really? That's good to know. Really didn't care where it came from, just glad it's there. Thanks for the info, Josh!