DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Diablo Predator Questions & Info!

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:75
09HemiCrew will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been running on the stock tune and watching my knock values. I'm having some ST retard issues mostly at part throttle (sometimes 4deg+). I've ran multiple injector cleaners through it, sucked a bottle of sea foam into the intake, fresh NGK's, can't seem to get it with simple solutions. Anyone have any other ideas? Im running 89 octane fuel from good gas stations. Is this normal or do I have issues? I'm going to take a look in my intake manifold and see if it is full of oil and maybe a catch can would help me out. I'm thinking this knock issue is making the dsp tunes seem worse than they are.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:52 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

The pcm retarding timing will result in power loss. What tune are you running with the 89 octane? 89 tune? 87 tune? If it's an 89 or 87 tune and you're using 89 octane you shouldn't have any issues. Try some 91 or 93 just to see if you notice a difference and if it stops from pulling timing.

4 deg may not be a big deal especially if not at wide open throttle and high rpm. I've seen as much as 9 deg pulled on the superchips 93 tune with 93 octane. Depends on a lot of things. Temperature can have an impact. The biggest factor is weight of the vehicle(load on the engine). The more load, the more chance of detonation. That's why you can't tow/haul with the performance tunes unless you use higher octane.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

I will say I hated the canned tunes. No matter how I ran it i always got to much knock st or lt. I always run 93 octane gas when I can get it by the way.

Once I got my custom Hemifever tune there were a few major improvements over the canned tunes. The most important being the knock degrees.

I see 0 LT knock and a max of 2 degrees of ST knock when I tow.

I refuse to ever run the canned tunes again as long as I can have custom tuning.

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:05 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
Damn Asur, you've been playing us all this time?

Does this mean I need to sell my truck for a 5.7 just to be none BS? what to do?, what to do? All those mods
Old 09-15-2013, 04:12 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Does this mean I need to sell my truck for a 5.7 just to be none BS? what to do?, what to do? All those mods
Ah, the line starts right here, behind me, for that truck!
Old 09-15-2013, 12:36 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500 R/T
Trim Level: R/t
Color: Wht
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:145
Buellrider will become famous soon enoughBuellrider will become famous soon enough

I have hemifever v1 89 and 91 tune and v2 and 89, 91 and all of my quickest passes are on the diablosport 91 tune....

2012 R/T
Old 09-16-2013, 04:21 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:539
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

The OP has an 09' Hemi Ram, and there is just no way a BullyDog tuner is superior on that year and model. period.
The highest possible shift points on a Bully Dog are 5900 rpm and their highest available octane tune is a 91+

Diablo can increase throttle sensitivity/response by 20%, shift at over 6200 rpm and the highest available tune is 93 octane,
it also offers a 100% traction control disable feature in addition to Data logging capability.
...and those are the reasons I went from 14.3 to 13.8 in the quarter, both canned tunes (no custom)

If the OP was having issues, it could have been poor fuel, not high enough octane (I never run lower than 89 on a Hemi)
But at least with a Diablo tuner you can data log for LT/ST Knock Retard to see if its a fuel related issue and not the tuning.
If you're getting knock due to lower octane fuel, the PCM will retard your timing and it will feel sluggish regardless of which tuner you use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Great info and very good to have, but it is still only a 2 truck minority to that of the quantity out there.
I'm a member on at least 5 different Ram forums, some of them since 2004,
in going on four years, I have yet to see anyone post a 13 second time slip with a Bully Dog Tuner on a 4G Ram.
Dating way back to long before "Custom Tuning" was even being utilized by any 4G Ram owners.

But don't take my word for it, I beg you....please go visit a few forums and see it for yourself.
They all have a Performance Section with an Official Time Slip thread. Proof Required to make your claims.
Almost all members list their gear in their sig lines...Now YOU tell me which tuner is in the Minority. 2 truck minority pfffft!

If Bully Dog is so much better at performance tuning, and so dominant, then where are the ALL the time slips?
Put the BS opinions aside and show me some numbers from people that actually run their Trucks, not just their Mouths.

Opinions are like @ssholes,
Show me the Numbers!

Challenge issued!

let the back-pedaling begin!

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 09-16-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:15 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
The OP has an 09' Hemi Ram, and there is just no way a BullyDog tuner is superior on that year and model. period.
The highest possible shift points on a Bully Dog are 5900 rpm and their highest available octane tune (91+)
Diablo can increase throttle booster (sensitivity/response) by 20%, shift at over 6200 rpm and highest available tune is 93 octane, 100% traction control disable feature.
...and those are the reasons I went from 14.3 to 13.8 in the quarter, both canned tunes (no custom)

If the OP was having issues, it could have been poor fuel, not high enough octane (I never run lower than 89)
But at least with a Diablo tuner you can data log for LT/ST Knock Retard to see if its a fuel issue and not the tuning.
If you're getting knock due to lower octane fuel, the PCM will retard your timing and it will feel sluggish.

2 Truck Minority? you have Got to be Kidding me?

I'm a member on at least 5 different Ram forums
and in almost 4 years have yet to see anyone post a 13 second time slip with a Bully Dog Tuner on a 4G Ram.
Dating way back to long before "Custom Tuning" was even being utilized by any 4G Ram owners.

But dont take my word for it, go visit a few forums,
they all have a Performance Section with an Official Time Slip thread. Proof Required to make your claims.
Almost all members list their gear in their sig lines...Now YOU tell me which tuner is in the Minority. 2 truck minority pfffft!

If Bully Dog is so much better at performance, and so dominant, then where are the time slips?
Put the BS opinions aside and show me some numbers from people that actually run their Trucks, not just their Mouths.

Opinions are like @ssholes,
Show me the Numbers!

Challenge issued!

let the back-pedaling begin!
You miss read That Quote. "Originally Posted by Asur Great info and very good to have, but it is still only a 2 truck minority to that of the quantity out there."

If you read it correctly it means that you and your buddies trucks with a diablo tuner on it are a minority to the trucks out there in existence, meaning that the diablo tuner on other trucks with other computers with other mods may act differently than yours, other things like sea level, fuel etc can make differences. I did say your information was good information but its not the consensus of the majority of members experience with the product. But I see it is pointless to have a normal conversation in a forum with you, every time someone brings up a point about something and it does not jive with your thinking process you try to bash them. Its unfortunate for other members who happen to be reading these threads to have to read your offensive comebacks, Stuff like

"Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi
4.7L guys dont have freakin CLUE so you can dismiss their B.S. RFN"

your statement was definitely intelligent and well thought. That being said, I would not want to know what your thoughts are of a 3.6L guy.

Yes, I know, you will come back with a post of "get the number" , "I have placed a Challenge" , " Read the forums, your all BS" Well sorry for pissing in your cornflakes but posting crap like that will not make you sound any smarter. Sorry you feel you need to bash people.

the thoughts and information expressed in this post are that of the posting member and not that of the Forum, please kindly use it as such.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:00 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
I'm a member on at least 5 different Ram forums, some of them since 2004,
in going on four years, I have yet to see anyone post a 13 second time slip with a Bully Dog Tuner on a 4G Ram.

But don't take my word for it, I beg you....please go visit a few forums and see it for yourself.
They all have a Performance Section with an Official Time Slip thread. Proof Required to make your claims.
Almost all members list their gear in their sig lines...Now YOU tell me which tuner is in the Minority. 2 truck minority pfffft!!
In all seriousness, and bashing aside, just because you haven't seen it first hand - weather it be on the various boards you frequent or up close and personal - it doesn't mean it does not exist. True?

Let's call a spade what it is: the 4.7L owners' contribution on this thread have been based on their personal experience; just like your contributions have been the same. No point bashing a guy for his opinion based on his personal experiences, right?

Otherwise, if the shoe fits.....

To label all 4.7L owners as being full of shit and having no clue is, we'll, not only uncalled for but just downright tasteless and extraneous.

Cheers.

Grub out!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:30 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Electric Blue
Rep:3944
BlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond repute

Keep it civil gentlemen or this gets shut down. Thanks.

Like what you see? Support this fine site!

Go here for great how-to's and make sure you know the rules!

Make sure you show off your Ram by posting pics in the GALLERY!!

L.O.B.