DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:27
Kevinhville is on a distinguished road

Here's a friendly piece of advice for guys adding wiring to your truck. Put your fuse at the origination point of your wire. If your wire originates at the battery, put the fuse right at the battery. This way, your entire length of wire is protected. The purpose of a fuse is not to protect the device being plugged in, it's to keep your truck from burning to the ground. The fuse should be sized to protect the wire. Do an Internet search to find the appropriate fuse size for your wire. I work for a company with a large truck fleet, and our most common cause of truck fires is improperly installed aftermarket wiring.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman QC 4x2
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:30
marvin02 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinhville View Post
. . . The fuse should be sized to protect the wire. Do an Internet search to find the appropriate fuse size for your wire.. . .
The fuse should be sized to protect the component that has the lowest capacity. If you only size a fuse by wire size then you may be allowing too much current to another component.

If you need to run multiple items from one run of wire, if you have single fuse it should be sized to protect the lowest rated component. You may need to install multiple fuses in this situation. One at the battery to protect the overall circuit and fuses at each component to protect the individual components.

I do agree that a long run of wire with no fuse protection is a problem waiting to happen.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie
Trim Level: Longhorn Crew Cab
Color: White/Gold
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:487
Silvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of light

I don't have one now but in my previous truck I installed an auxiliary battery in the bed and used an isolator similar to the one in the picture below. That was you will always have plenty of extra 12 volt power.

*** US Army Retired - 11B40 - 1964/'85 ***

Last edited by Silvercreek; 10-12-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2657
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I have a direct battery connection that runs to a 4 fuse panel under the hood
The wiring for 2 runs then goes to a convenient illuminated rocker switch panel in the cab, a 3rd run goes to a CB radio, the 4th fuse in the panel is just extra

From the rocker switches the wiring & plastic loom follow the trucks frame back to the left front corner of the bed to a couple of WeatherPack connectors.
From there a ground & power wire go to my auxiliary gas tank & the other 2 wires go to my rotating lights

You can see the CB radio & 2 illuminated rocker switches in this pix

Here you can see the Auxiliary Fuel Tank & Lights

This is the Weather Pack website
http://www.whiteproducts.com/connectors.shtml
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle