DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 RAM Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Rooster1948 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Transmission delay at first start up

Sounds like your torque converter is draining overnight. The delay is not unusual. It takes a couple of seconds for the converter to fill. This is mentioned in the owners manual. My 2005 RAM would also do this but take 4-5 seconds to engage. The 2012 refills much faster and the delay I experience is about 2 seconds. May want to check the fluid level in the transmission. Don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Silver
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Jimfleming is on a distinguished road
Default 2012 transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
Well, usually the problem is "intermittent" in that it's related to how long the engine was shut down for. So if it sits for maybe 6 hours it might work fine, but if it sits for 2 days there is a much greater chance you'll notice the problem. Also, if you start it up and let it idle for 15-30 seconds, it likely won't happen, whereas if you start it and drop it into gear right away you are more likely to notice it. So overall, it can seem to be intermittent since it doesn't happen all the time.
Does this apply to the diesel 2500 transmission? Dealer says they have no notice of this for the 2012 year. I tried to PM you but can't because I don't have a enough posts.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimfleming View Post
Does this apply to the diesel 2500 transmission? Dealer says they have no notice of this for the 2012 year. I tried to PM you but can't because I don't have a enough posts.
Yes, this does apply to 2012 MY 2500 trucks with the 68RFE transmission. I think we got some bad OEM filters during 2012 MY, as I have seen a handful of these complaints on 2012 trucks. The problem is not widespread enough for us to issue a TSB (which is probably why your dealer says he "has no notice of it"), but in general, slow drive engagement after a cold start is indicative of converter drainback, and in RFE transmissions drainback is usually due to a faulty diaphragm in the spin-on (cooler return) filter, so even with no "official notice" I would still think they should change the filter out for you.

If he wants to diagnose it, tell him to do this: Connect a scan tool to read (and record) engine speed, turbine speed, line pressure, and desired line pressure. Record a warm startup in Park. They should see turbine speed rise very quickly along with engine speed, and should also see line pressure jump up immediately after the engine starts, and remain equal to desired LP. Have them note the time it takes for turbine speed to reach one half of engine speed (after the engine starts).

Now, let it sit overnight (the longer the better), and then record a cold startup (same data channels). They will find (if the converter has drained back), that the turbine speed will come up MUCH slower than on the warm start, and the time to reach half of engine speed will be MUCH longer (like, maybe 10 times longer or more). They may also see a sudden dip in line pressure, several seconds after the engine starts, although this may not always be present.

The big change in turbine acceleration rate, immediately after startup, is what demonstrates that converter drainback has occurred. The fix (in 99% of the cases) is to replace the spin-on transmission filter.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:08 PM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge Ram Bighorn
Trim Level: big horn 4x4
Color: white
whiteknight312 is on a distinguished road

I let mine warm up for a few minutes, then I put it in reverse and its ok. sometimes from R to Drive, its abrupt shift, goes in super fast. its just a calibration issue
Old 11-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Silver
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Jimfleming is on a distinguished road
Default 2012 Transmission

The dealer called and said that after they contacted Chrysler that they are awaiting parts. I don't know if they recognized a problem or just want to examine my parts to try to make a determination. I'll update when I know something new.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:46 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
I let mine warm up for a few minutes, then I put it in reverse and its ok. sometimes from R to Drive, its abrupt shift, goes in super fast. its just a calibration issue
Mine does this sometimes too. Usually on a cold start. It's almost like it goes into gear before I finish moving the shift lever, that's how fast. And very hard/firm too.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Tradesman
Grn70 is on a distinguished road

So here is my story on what is going on with my 2012 ram 1500 with the Hemi, his name is Diego. It might help some of you on what may be going on with your trucks as well. I originally purchased my truck in Arkansas at Orr dodge. About 5 months later I moved to Minot, North Dakota.
Last winter was my first winter that I had here. So I went and got it washed and it was extremely cold when I got it washed (15 degrees or so). The next day I went to drive it and I could not get it out of my garage, due to it not wanting to go into gear. I finally got it out of my garage and it would only go into manual fourth gear. I drove it a little while and pulled over and stopped, turned the truck off let it sit for a little while. I then restarted it and it ran just fine. Didn't run into any more problems really that winter.
So now we will fast forward to 2 weeks ago. I had just got gas in Diego and took off from a stop light and I noticed that it was running at a higher RPM than normal, about 2800. Got to my destination and went through the gate and my tac started bouncing all over the place. So yet again I pulled over and turned Diego off, sat for about 15-30 seconds then turned him back on. Everything seems to be fine and I take off and my check engine light came on. Parked it, went into the meeting that I had to go into, then came back out and drove off. Check engine light still on. I get back onto the highway and my tac starts bouncing all over the place again. I had to drive in manual mode all the way home at 55 MPH. Speed limit is 70. The next morning I call the local dodge dealership and attempt to make an appointment. Minot Chrysler says that the earliest that they could get me in is 13 Dec. I didn't like that answer, so yet again I hop into Diego and we drive at 50MPH to the dealership. I get there and the earliest that they could actually get me in was 5 days later. I drove it to a friends house and when I left the dealership the truck would not go over 35 MPH. I left it at my friends house and just caught rides with people until that Friday. I took it back to the dealership and told them that I could not drive it any longer. Minot Chrysler refused to get me a courtesy vehicle or a rental free of charge. I then got the number to customer service for Ram trucks and they told me that until a certified mechanic looks at my truck that they could not approve me for a rental at their expense. I asked to speak to a supervisor which you wont hear from unless its monday through friday banker hours. Then for the weekend I went and rented my own vehicle. The following Monday when my appointment was I did not hear anything from the dealership, so I went back over to them and asked what was going on and they told me that their mechanic had called in that day. I wanted to speak to the general manager of the dealership, he was in Bismarck. I asked to speak to the service manager, he was in Las Vegas. I got the shop Forman instead. Which they did end up giving me a rental at their expense.
Moving on in the story. The transmission was running codes 721 and 734. 721 is gear ratio intolerance in first gear and 734 is gear ratio intolerance in fourth gear. They pulled the filter out and the filter was separated, meaning that the plastic top piece was bowed from the metal bottom piece and it was sucking in air with the transmission fluid causing the issues. They also replaced the transfer case gasket because it had lost some fluid. They got that fixed the following day, took it for a test drive and Diego still would not go into fourth gear. What the service guy has told me is that because of the air being sucked in with the tranny fluid that fourth gear has pretty much stopped working. Apparently the gear box is third, fourth and fifth. And it goes into third just fine, but it will not go into fourth. The mechanic and service people have apparently never seen anything like this happen. For over a week now the mechanics have been waiting on approval from Chrysler to drop my transmission to replace the gear box. They had to open a new case file to see if they would get a response from Chrysler sooner because they had stopped responding to the current file. Needless to say I will be in a rental car until at least next week. I just hope that it doesn't start snowing before I get my truck back.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:54 AM

TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Sounds like the split sump filter was the root of the problem, but you've probably got a burned OD clutch due to slippage when the filter was sucking air.

Shouldn't really need a whole new trans, just replace the OD clutch pack, and any others that are burned / distressed.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Tradesman
Grn70 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
Sounds like the split sump filter was the root of the problem, but you've probably got a burned OD clutch due to slippage when the filter was sucking air.

Shouldn't really need a whole new trans, just replace the OD clutch pack, and any others that are burned / distressed.
Yea, but Chrysler won't give the dealership permission to do anything. They have had my truck for 2 weeks at the dealership and they have only replaced a gasket and the filter. I am paying for a truck but I'm driving a Camry..... Not my idea of a fun time.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn70 View Post
Yea, but Chrysler won't give the dealership permission to do anything. ....
The dealer does not need Chrysler's permission to repair your truck. What I suspect is that the dealer is asking for permission to REPLACE your entire transmission, instead of REPAIRING it.

Sorry for the hassle you are having, but I suspect it's because the dealer wants to take the "easy way out," which coincidentally gives them a larger profit on the job as well...