DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:70
edge35 will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone updating their radio today?

Today is the day the new radio update is supposedly available for dealers to install in our trucks. Anyone planning on having it done today?

I also need a couple of recalls done and can't be without my truck at the moment so I am going to have to wait a few days and get them all done at once but am curious to see how it goes for others. From what I've read it doesn't look like there will be anything new that'll stand out (unless you are having problems I guess).
6 speed (although the 65RFE is really a 5 speed), 3.55, air suspension, anti-spin, 20" Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires (aka crap), sunroof, Bakflip Fibermax & BakBox, bed extender, 8.4AN, black/cattle tan interior
Sponsored links
Old 09-16-2013, 09:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:42
AppFan is on a distinguished road

I'm afraid to have mine updated since I've never had any issues...
Old 09-16-2013, 10:00 AM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Ram CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:117
KJ48 will become famous soon enoughKJ48 will become famous soon enough

I'll wait until it gets leaked to the internet and do it myself and make sure its works right before I do it. The few little quirks it has, not holding shuffle, holding checked settings for different driver profiles etc I can live with for now.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:52 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: True Blue Peal/Mineral Gray
Rep:92
dawoodsman will become famous soon enough

I explained my situation in another post. I have had problems and found out about the update coming out today from both this board and by talking with a Ram Customer Service guy. I called to try to schedule an appointment weeks ago and they said they knew nothing about it, to call closer to the release of the update.

Called last friday, they still knew nothing about it but were willing to take my name and call me back this week when they did. No call yet, if it goes as normal this place won't call at all, I'll have to call them again...

Oh and I did ask about just doing it myself. I was not given a clear explanation of why I can't--just that I can't. I assume what happens is the update is available to dealers first and only dealers--and then gets released to the general ram owner quite awhile later? Anyone know? Piss poor business model if the dealers know less about them than the customer, but you have no other option.

I listed to the crackling and popping on the radio all the way into work again today.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1520
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

Updates were released on the Uconnect web site. Then they started having issues with the radios dying and rendering the truck useless until the radio was swapped out. These radios, with install, are north of $2000 dollars. Now, the fact that the radios were dying BECAUSE of owners doing their own updates is up for debate. But, since these radios are so expensive my guess is upper, upper management has decided to take the possibility of a few owners bricking their own radios out of equation all together. Even if it saves 10 radios a year in the entire US, that is still a $20,000 savings.

Personally, I think Chrysler was sold an inferior product by a bunch of people who make phone software that said we can do this. If they went with a PC software company like Microsoft at least they have had years of experience fixing owners bricking PCs to call on.

PCs were the same way in the beginning. If you called customer service and said you were having problems with your PC the first thing they would ask is "Have you installed any new software or hardware?" If the answer is yes then they told you to uninstall it and contact that manufacturer for help. Now, they have dedicated whole portions of the operating system to fixing and recovering crashes.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped HEMI Badge The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover
Old 09-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1520
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

I am going in to the dealer tomorrow for the Stability Control recall. I will see if they have updates available and will post.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped HEMI Badge The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover
Old 09-16-2013, 12:28 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRam View Post
If they went with a PC software company like Microsoft
Your kidding, right? Microsoft, a company that still has yet to make an operating system deemed reliable. Well, Microsoft did the Ford Sync system, so poorly done that there is now a class action going on with it.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:38 PM

Well I called the dealer and they still known nothing about the update. Was told to call back later in the day though. Word from them is that lack of info on updates is not uncommon.

I think the Uconnect system is pretty easy and intuitive in comparsion with Fords system, haven't seen GM's new one. I think I read somewhere that Dodge avoided MS entirely and the guts of Uconnect are Linux--a smart move IMO if that is true.

Darth I haven't heard of the stability control recall. You know anything of the dates that applies to? Wonder if it was already done on my truck--I was able to find out that one Uconnect update was already performed by the original dealer. My truck build date was in late april 2013.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:26 PM

Oh what a cluster #!

Here's the latest. The radio update is NOT AVAILABLE yet, despite many of us being told it was due to be released today.

I found this out after calling the dealer, who knew nothing about it, Uconnect, who insisted the radio fix had already been completed on my truck and there was NO new fix coming, and finally Ram Customer service again, who looked up the record of my previous call again to verify I had been told an update was coming on the 16th and was not losing my mind--and that it was not available yet.

Can I just be put on a list to be sure I am notified when it is available, I ask?

No sir. Ram's solution is to just have me keep calling my dealer until it shows up--the one who says I know more than they do about it and that's the norm for them--or keep calling RAM support again and again and again until I am told it is finally available.

Like I told the RAM Customer service guy, I am a longtime GM owner who is starting to regret my switch of brands!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Silver
Rep:10
RamFreak13 is on a distinguished road

Bummer, I was hoping they would meet their own deadline and get that update out. I still can not listen to XM and would love if this update fixes that issue.