DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-16-2013, 06:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsmen
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:60
bradburyesqu will become famous soon enough

I work in IT so I know a thing or two about upgrades and I will warn you that over the years I've become extremely conservative with upgrades.

I never jump to a new version when it is first released. After I feel that it's been around for a fair amount of time I get the release notes. If there is nothing in the notes that claim to fix a problem I'm having I don't upgrade.

You see ever new software upgrade comes with it's own set of issues. Why would I trade known issues for unknown issues unless I'm sure they will work. The reason for not being the first to upgrade is so that you have at least some idea what you are getting yourself into.

Peoples need to be on the latest version and be "first" to have something gets them into more trouble. If you have extreme issues with your unit and this update claims to fix it by all means try. But You are taking a huge risk.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:58 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:21
count2 is on a distinguished road

I'm just curious, what is the latest version on the 2013s? My 2014 came with 13.28.2 and I haven't had any problems so far. Does anyone know if 2013 and 2014 need different versions?
Old 09-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Silver
Rep:10
RamFreak13 is on a distinguished road

I.T. here as well, I agree a 100%. I will say that this update has been around a few months though on factory replacement radios. I have not read of any major issues as of yet.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:13 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM CC 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Tom-G is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRam View Post
Updates were released on the Uconnect web site. Then they started having issues with the radios dying and rendering the truck useless until the radio was swapped out. These radios, with install, are north of $2000 dollars. Now, the fact that the radios were dying BECAUSE of owners doing their own updates is up for debate. But, since these radios are so expensive my guess is upper, upper management has decided to take the possibility of a few owners bricking their own radios out of equation all together. Even if it saves 10 radios a year in the entire US, that is still a $20,000 savings.

Personally, I think Chrysler was sold an inferior product by a bunch of people who make phone software that said we can do this. If they went with a PC software company like Microsoft at least they have had years of experience fixing owners bricking PCs to call on.

PCs were the same way in the beginning. If you called customer service and said you were having problems with your PC the first thing they would ask is "Have you installed any new software or hardware?" If the answer is yes then they told you to uninstall it and contact that manufacturer for help. Now, they have dedicated whole portions of the operating system to fixing and recovering crashes.
I spoke with uconnect customer service the other day and was told two things:

1 - the original release date of the next firmware version was to be early September but it has been delayed. No new date available.

2 - to keep checking my the VIN on the software update page of the uconnect support site as the next release will be available for download. I specifically asked if it would void my warranty if I downloaded the firmware from the uconnect site and installed it myself and I was assured it would not void my warranty. Instructions for the installation will also be provided.

It will be interesting to see if they do make it available for customer download and installation, or if it will be a dealer only install as is current practice.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:1534
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster5601 View Post
Your kidding, right? Microsoft, a company that still has yet to make an operating system deemed reliable. Well, Microsoft did the Ford Sync system, so poorly done that there is now a class action going on with it.
As I said in the post. They have a vast knowledge of software crashes. No one is going to build a stable OS. It just isn't going to happen. We need software that can recover itself and not have input from the dealer. I have a PC with Windows 7 that has been running for 4 years straight without any issues. I have never turned it off other then to reboot for software upgrades. I have a truck that didn't make it a month before the radio software crashed and fried the radio rendering the truck useless. So, yeah I meant Microsoft. The largest software maker in the world. The one running 90% of the PCs on the planet. The one with the knowledge to make software for a truck that when it does crash (Software, not the truck.) it can fix itself and not require a tow to the dealer at 4 in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawoodsman View Post
Darth I haven't heard of the stability control recall. You know anything of the dates that applies to? Wonder if it was already done on my truck--I was able to find out that one Uconnect update was already performed by the original dealer. My truck build date was in late april 2013.
Go to https://www.moparownerconnect.com/oc...nersLogin.aspx

It will tell you if you are affected by the recall.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped HEMI Badge The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover
Old 09-16-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-G View Post
I spoke with uconnect customer service the other day and was told two things:

1 - the original release date of the next firmware version was to be early September but it has been delayed. No new date available.

2 - to keep checking my the VIN on the software update page of the uconnect support site as the next release will be available for download. I specifically asked if it would void my warranty if I downloaded the firmware from the uconnect site and installed it myself and I was assured it would not void my warranty. Instructions for the installation will also be provided.

It will be interesting to see if they do make it available for customer download and installation, or if it will be a dealer only install as is current practice.
Good info Tom, thanks! I do hope they release this on the uconnect website for download. Driving to the dealer for update is a pain. 100 mile round trip.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRam View Post
As I said in the post. They have a vast knowledge of software crashes. No one is going to build a stable OS. It just isn't going to happen. We need software that can recover itself and not have input from the dealer. I have a PC with Windows 7 that has been running for 4 years straight without any issues. I have never turned it off other then to reboot for software upgrades. I have a truck that didn't make it a month before the radio software crashed and fried the radio rendering the truck useless. So, yeah I meant Microsoft. The largest software maker in the world. The one running 90% of the PCs on the planet. The one with the knowledge to make software for a truck that when it does crash (Software, not the truck.) it can fix itself and not require a tow to the dealer at 4 in the morning.

Go to https://www.moparownerconnect.com/oc...nersLogin.aspx

It will tell you if you are affected by the recall.
Agreed 100%, MS may not be perfect but I don't know any Software Dev who is. People are stoked that our radios are based on Linux, right now I am not seeing how this made it any better than a MS based system.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:05 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM CC 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Tom-G is on a distinguished road

Software, or firmware in the case of our radios can be somewhat complex. From a computing technology perspective, the radios are considered an "appliance" with bundled firmware to operate them, without which the physical hardware is basically a boat anchor.

In general, firmware has multiple levels of code, but the two key ones are low-level processor code and the human interface code to allow us humans to interact with the radio and provide instructions to the processor. The basic underlying code, whether a Microsoft product, or an open source product like Linux, are only as good as among other things, the developer's specifications, how those specs were translated into code by the programmers, and the thoroughness of the testing (there is also dependency on the specific processor chip and radio circuitry design). I expect the uconnect development team is doing the best they can with their budget and staffing level but I would agree that if one of the major software developers like Microsoft, Oracle, IBM, etc. wrote the code I would expect a much more solid product on day one.

Enough of that! The discussion about Microsoft reminds me of the old jokes about what if Microsoft built cars. Enjoy:

http://www.snopes.com/humor/jokes/autos.asp
Old 09-16-2013, 10:40 PM

I am sure with a few more updates we should be pretty solid, I know we all wish that was the case with the initial release.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:01 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamFreak13 View Post
Agreed 100%, MS may not be perfect but I don't know any Software Dev who is. People are stoked that our radios are based on Linux, right now I am not seeing how this made it any better than a MS based system.
I read on here the OS is RIM's and not Linux. I do not believe the issues are a fault of the OS but more an issue of how the IO abstraction layer is implemented as well as how unexpected events are mitigated by the software.

Infotainment is new to the automotive world and developed by software sources that do not have a strong automotive background typically known for designing fault tolerant devices. The testing seems to follow Microsoft's model letting the customer test which is not the automotive method of testing.

I have a long history in developing software for automotive. I've done engine control, instrument clusters, HVAC, impact detection, adaptive cruise control, body control, and hybrid transmission shift logic. Can anyone tell me the last time any one of the listed ECUs in their vehicle has crashed? Can't do it but they do crash on occasion, it is just that they can recover in under 200 MS.

Yes, Microsoft is the most popular desktop OS but when it comes to mission critical, like Internet servers for example, UNIX and its derivatives are the OS of choice. To expect Microsoft to produce a fault tolerant OS is an unreasonable expectation based on their past performances (ask Ford).

I wonder why Android wasn't the choice to run our radios. At least my VR would work.