DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2589
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Keeping in mind, most owners manuals when referring to the motor oil, they mean Conventional Motor Oil

In 2009 the manual read to change motor oil every 3,000 miles, that is old school thinking

either in 2010 or 2011, the manual was changed to read 5,000 miles

i believe in 2012 the manual again was changed to read 8,000 miles

now they put the OIL SERVICE Indicator in the Rams, you can go by that, it is like sending a sample to a laboratory & having it tested for the % of oil life that it still has

what i don't know is what kind of oil is now put in the engine at the factory, conventional or synthetic 5w-20

many people are now using synthetic oil & a good quality oil filter & choosing to run the engine to 5,000 miles between changes, just because it feels right to them, not because they have to according to a book

at the dealership, when they change my oil & oil filter, ( i take my own to the dealership )
sometimes the printing machine that types out the NEXT SERVICE DUE sticker reads 3,000 miles, other times it reads 5,000 miles
yet the Service Engine Light comes on at 2,800 miles every time
i just reset it & continue driving & wait for it to come on a second time, unless i know that i am going to be on the road & no where near where i can stop for the service.
Then i get it done just before the trip
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
Lobo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKID65 View Post
I went into my dealer after 5000 miles for service and the papers they gave me when i left and the sticker on the truck both said i need to come back in 3000 miles.so that made me think i needed to do it every 3000 miles. Unless there trying to get all my money, like they havent got enough yet. right.

That's about it. 3K doesn't really apply anymore with the dino oil available these days, and more so for synthetic. Don't give them any more of your money than you have to.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:99
lbram81 will become famous soon enough

Took mine in for its first oil change last Friday. Only 3 months old with 1800 miles but don't trust that "factory oil". I think getting the factory oil out ASAP is better than waiting until 5k miles. Although my dealer disagrees with me and states metal flakes or any unwanted materials will NOT be in the factory oil, why take the chance.

Taylor Swift IS NOT a country singer!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman QC 4x2
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:30
marvin02 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
. . . .

now they put the OIL SERVICE Indicator in the Rams, you can go by that, it is like sending a sample to a laboratory & having it tested for the % of oil life that it still has
. . . .
The oil service indicator light is not like sending in an oil sample to a lab. You will never get the accuracy from the oil change indicator that you will get from an analysis of the oil.

Here are two articles from Allpar about how the Chrysler oil change indicator works:

Chrysler adds Oil Change Computer

Fewer Oil Changes needed

Here's another from How Stuff Works that covers the systems in general.

I don't know if they can tell that the indicator was reset without the oil being changed, but I would not ignore it if you are under warranty. If it is coming on at only 2,500 miles you may want to find out why. Are you getting condensation in your oil or some other contaminant?
Old 09-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
bsmith79 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattitude View Post
"638 MAINTAINING YOUR VEHICLE

Change Engine Oil

The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance. Refer to the “Maintenance Schedule” for further information.

NOTE:Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve months, whichever occurs first."

This is page 638 of the 720 page owner's manual, not in the 200 page user's guide.
I've seen this but it still concerns me that all they say is to wait for the oil change indicator. No mention of how many miles you should have at that time or how much time has passed from purchase or last oil change.

Another issue I have is, what the heck kind of oil is in the engine from the factory? Synthetic? Fossil? Break-in oil? 5W-20? 20W-50? 5W-20W-50W-100!!!