anyone have this headlight issue? - Page 2 - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > LD RAM - Ram 1500 Forum > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Dodge Dakota Dodge Durango Dodge Nitro Jeep
Diesel Forums!
Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Jeep Forum
Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Magnum
Dodge Caliber
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Magnum Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!
Place your Ad Here!

Old 09-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crewcab
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:248
LeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura about

Took the truck in today to check out my headlight issue. The dealer closest to my house used to be a GM dealership, but is now a Dodge Dealer. I mentioned about the headlights being under warranty I heard ( not that I have a headlight problem , but an electrical or wiring issue). Anyways he said that GM warranties headlights for 3 years, but as far as he knows Dodge Canada does not.

I can change my own bulbs. If the dealer tried to charge me $26 for a 3rd brake light.....F#$% that!
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2013, 08:40 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crewcab
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:248
LeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura about

Well got the truck back and all is back to normal on the headlights. The dealer said it was a loose contact.....seems to be a pretty common problem from what I have read on here. All covered by warranty. One thing the dealer mentioned is that MY 3rd brake light is out. Thankfully after reading that other comment about it being a $26 replacement I said " thanks Ill check that out and replace it myself" If its a wiring issue Ill just return to the dealer next week.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:42 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Rep:77
Doom4life will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
Well got the truck back and all is back to normal on the headlights. The dealer said it was a loose contact.....seems to be a pretty common problem from what I have read on here. All covered by warranty. One thing the dealer mentioned is that MY 3rd brake light is out. Thankfully after reading that other comment about it being a $26 replacement I said " thanks Ill check that out and replace it myself" If its a wiring issue Ill just return to the dealer next week.
Glad you were fully told the issue about the third brake light up front. I dropped off my Ram a number of months ago for some warranty work. Got a call saying my brake lights seem to be out as the technician noticed they weren't working and asking for authorization to investigate it.

Sure enough, when I got it back, there was a charge for $26 for a third brake light and a very apologetic service advisor saying he misunderstood what the tech was saying.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Met Dark Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Ramcrew is on a distinguished road

Yup, Just changed the pigtail from driver side headlights to harness after having the headlight assembly out for what I thought was a bulb or wiring or TIPM.. I had the issue before and actually changed the bulb. The bulb looked good so tested it and it was a good bulb I had pulled out. When it quit again I figured maybe bulb but probably wiring and lucky enough it was the pigtail. I talked to the dealer for a part and he told me the pigtail failing is not that uncommon and they have changed several. 30 little tiny can $ and some one on one with my truck and I was on the road again.
I had read some horror stories about the computer that controls the lights crapping out so was happy it was relatively cheap this time.
BTW, I have to change a DRL bulb in my 08 Tahoe, and it looks way worse to get at than the Ram.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:46 PM

Vehicle: 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 2 whl drive
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2920
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

There is a youtube video that shows the headlight pigtail fix

The guy that made the video is a mechanic, fire fighter or search & rescue, & he flies helicoptors & powered hang gliders

Old 03-04-2017, 11:29 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: bright white clear coat
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Ric McC. is on a distinguished road

When I bought my '12 Bighorn a couple months ago; everything was working fine.

A couple days later, I noticed that when I unlocked the door with the fob; the driver's side headlight wasn't lit.

I called the salesman, who said to bring it right in.

For the shits and giggles of it, I popped the hood, reached down behind where I thought the headlight was, and wiggled the wires I felt a bit. The lights then worked fine.

I went on to the dealership, and told the guy about it. He took it to the back, and they checked things out; everything checked out OK.

The salesman told me that, if it happened again, not to mess with anything, and bring it back not working. He also showed me an access panel in the front of the wheel well to get to the connections.

Anyway; the damn thing has been perfect ever since.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Ironwalkerrick is on a distinguished road

I had passenger light go out, took light housing out, pushed connector in a little harder, has been on ever since!
Old 05-30-2017, 11:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black and Gold
whoppo is on a distinguished road

Similar issue with my '12 LongHorn... bought it used a couple of weeks ago and on day 3 I noticed the passenger side lights flickering while driving, then failing altogether. Both low and high beams were out. Brought it back to the dealer and they found the headlight pigtail was simply falling apart. They got a replacement pigtail and actually rebuilt it before installing it. Solid solder joints and proper waterproofing! - Then, for good measure, they did the same for the driver's side. No problems since then.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Long Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
HPWhiteHairedGuy is on a distinguished road

The OEM headlight housing harness and connectors are most likely your problem.
The OEM pin connectors become loose over time, which leads to them overheating and melting, causing a poor connection.
Heavier wiring with ceramic connectors will cure this problem.
Much easier and cheaper then having to replace the T.I.P.M. unit, which is also a known issue with our Ram trucks . The total integrated power module or T.IP.M. replacement cost is at least $1000.
I have already looked into a H.D. replacement unit, and have written the correct part # down somewhere, just in case.